Installing a 3.0 dual USB plug / voltmeter

ScottB

TJ Enthusiast
I have several items that are recharged or powered by a USB plug and the TJ doesn't have a USB plug. I have one of those plugs that have a USB plug that plugs into the 12 volt accessory plug, but I grew tired of fumbling with a plug. My solution was to hard wire a dual USB plug. I knew that I wanted a 3.0 USB because it charges items faster. I did an Amazon search and there are many options available, but I chose this one. The cost was $16.00 but it also has a digital voltmeter.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07FXH5ZZK/?tag=wranglerorg-20

The install was really easy and took about 45 minutes, which included taking pictures and monitoring some cool "beverages." Probably really took only about 20 minutes of actual work.

The box included the plug and connecting wires with a fuse.

I removed the center stack trim, and then the 4 screws that hold the bank of switches, cigar lighter and 12 volt accessory plug.

Unplug all three.

I had no use for the cigar lighter (fuse #18), so I removed the fuse and cut off the plug. I used the positive and ground wire for the cigar as my power source. The cigar lighter is a switched source so the plug is only powered when the ignition switch is on or in accessory mode. I then plugged the OEM plug back into the cigar lighter for safe keeping.

I then drilled a 1 1/4 inch hole into the blank square in order to mount the USB plug.

Then strip the wires from the OEM harness. Because the cigar lighter already has a fuse, I cut off the fuse on the USB harness. I connected the wires and then wrapped them in electrical tape....just in case.

Push the plug into the hole that was drilled and and screw on the round stay. I needed to use a pair of channel locks to get it tight. Here it is mounted to the panel.

The digital voltmeter is in the middle of the two USB plugs and can be seen with the rubber cover closed. It is bright enough to be seen in the daylight, but is low enough on the dash that it won't be distracting at night.

Here is everything completed.

Overall I am very pleased will the easy install and the finished product looks nice. There are cheaper USB plugs and some without the voltmeter that costs less than $10.00, but I am glad I got the plug with the digital voltmeter. Just looks nice to me.

The 3.0 USB plugs charges my Samsung Galaxy 9 from 10% to 100% in 15 minutes.

Last edited:
Thanks for this great write-up. This is one of those little things that helps to modernize the TJ. A mod everyone could probably benefit from.

This is an awesome write up! Just ordered the parts and will post photos of the end result! THANK YOU

Digging up this old thread. I've been considering doing this (or similar) in my Jeep. Any complaints about your set up now that you've had a few months to use it?

Thanks for the good write up by OP and the suggestions to do the install in the cigar lighter port. I did this last night and all went smoothly. Really happy so far to have a USB charger hardwired in rather than using an adapter. Easy convenience upgrade for low cost and high return.

I installed a similar usb port in pretty much the same place as the OP. Mine is just a bit more to the left to allow room for installing something in the other side of the blank panel area. I left the cig lighter port alone as stuff like GPS, portable DVD players need those ports.

My only issue is that he didn't remove the now unused cigarette lighter and put the USB ports in that hole. Makes a much cleaner install.
I did an install of some USB ports to this spot and it was definitely a very simple process.

However, mine doesn't have the volt meter that this one does and that seems like a pretty nice thing to have.

Went to the shop to pull my mulit(mal)function switch and took a pic of my USB setup. The upper port is fast charge, the lower isn't. The push button switch in the upper right corner is for the oohgah horn has "fire missles" on it. I couldn't resist, lol. I've still got room in the upper left corner for another small round switch.

Jeep USB.jpg

Thanks for the install info.
Just bought a 13 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon with less than 60k miles.
Awesome vehicle! Why didn’t I do this sooner? 😱

Reactions: Chris
Thank you for this write up. I have been looking for something to add to the empty spot on the dash where you put the voltmeter/charger. Now I know what I am putting there.