Installing a factory subwoofer and center console

menzelm

Okay so I recently bought a ‘98 TJ Sport.

It came without a center console, and I was thinking of installing one just for a small lockbox to put my wallet if needed and for an armrest. I came across the Tuffy security console and have heard great stuff about it, however I also saw that they make one with room for a subwoofer. The console itself seems pretty straightforward as far as installation.

That being said, I am not an electrical/audio girl so I have no idea how hard it would be to install one with the sub? Does anyone know if I would have to bring it in or if there are already hookups that would be factory installed? This is definitely not my strong suit so any knowledge y’all have would be awesome.

Well first off, as someone who has been waiting to get the Tuffy console with the subwoofer provision, be prepared to wait. It's on national backorder and won't be in until at least January or February I am told.

I currently have the non-subwoofer Tuffy console and it is great, I absolutely love it in fact.

The Tuffy console is meant to work with the factory subwoofer box. If you don't already have one, you can find one used like this one:

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-...0001&campid=5337789113&icep_item=133569278694

You'd then ideally pair that with a Kicker CompRT 6.75" subwoofer and you'd get a new head unit and a good amp to power your new setup. You DO NOT want the factory subwoofer wiring, amp, or setup. It's complete and utter crap. If you are going through this work, you'd be stupid not to upgrade everything in the process to be honest.

Reactions: Fouledplugs
This site contains affiliate links for which Jeep Wrangler TJ Forum may be compensated.
Well first off, as someone who has been waiting to get the Tuffy console with the subwoofer provision, be prepared to wait. It's on national backorder and won't be in until at least January or February I am told.

I currently have the non-subwoofer Tuffy console and it is great, I absolutely love it in fact.

The Tuffy console is meant to work with the factory subwoofer box. If you don't already have one, you can find one used like this one:

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-...0001&campid=5337789113&icep_item=133569278694

You'd then ideally pair that with a Kicker CompRT 6.75" subwoofer and you'd get a new head unit and a good amp to power your new setup. You DO NOT want the factory subwoofer wiring, amp, or setup. It's complete and utter crap. If you are going through this work, you'd be stupid not to upgrade everything in the process to be honest.
To further help your sub/stereo head unit/amp install etc. You might try Crutchfield. They sell all the components and wiring.

Welcome to the forum!

Putting the tuffy console in is just some screws iirc. The stereo stuff youll need some wiring/electrical knowledge. Or you could have it done at a stereo shop pretty cheaply.

Reactions: Chris
This site contains affiliate links for which Jeep Wrangler TJ Forum may be compensated.
Does anyone have a link to this Tuffy console? Either with or without the sub? I'm curious.