Installing a limited slip differential (LSD) in Dana 35 axle?

JohnMN

Just picked up a 98 Sport that needed a lot of love. Just installed all 7 new Spicer u-joints and a couple flanges and pinion seals, brakes, both front wheel bearings, and a whole list of other little things.

My question is about putting in a rear limited slip. I will be using this solely for winter driving, no rock climbing, no mud bogging, no hill climbing. I just want my little Jeep to be able to go through about anything the winter can throw at it, but everything I read says, "absolutely no", for the weak Dana 35, but most of those posters use their Jeeps for hardcore trails, where I'm using mine for the snow.

Thoughts?

You can put an LSD in without any issue. It’s having a locker in the stock Dana 35 axle that can cause durability issues.

Ok, great! Is there any benefit spending the extra $200 on a Truetrac over a Trak loc?
Yes the Detroit Truetrac is a much better LSD. 1) It is gear based so it won't tend to slide on icy surfaces like the clutch-based Tracloc will. 2) Being gear based it doesn't have a clutch pack that will wear out in 45-50k miles like the Tracloc's will. 3) The Truetrac doesn't require any additives like the Tracloc does.

Your Dana 35 will be fine with a Truetrac so long as you don't ever go bigger than 33" on your tires.

Great info Jerry. Looks like I'll be ordering the Truetrac on Monday. With the 33" Duratracs and the LSD, should be pretty fun this winter!
Your future Truetrac should be impressive there in Minnesota with its tough winter conditions!

I just put mine in, haven’t even had time to take her out yet.
I did alloy axles, Detroit trutrac LSD, new ring and pinion
4 11gears...should be fun, I think the Dana 35 is gonna be just fine for what I do..
You’d be surprised how strong those things are, check out YouTube videos on guys trying to destroy them..there tuff.