Installing a sound bar without pre-existing wiring

TJoe

I have a '99 2.5L I4 Wrangler that never came with a sound bar, meaning their are only two relatively small speakers pushing all of the sound. I am looking to install one for better sound, but I have no idea how to wire one properly. I don't have a sound bar purchased yet and I want to know if it's even possible to install one first. Any tips or guides available?

Of course it's possible but if your radio is still the original factory model, it may not have rear channel outputs. The radio that came with my '97 TJ did not have rear speaker channel outputs. Pretty much any aftermarket radio will have rear channels, which do you have?

Of course it's possible but if your radio is still the original factory model, it may not have rear channel outputs. The radio that came with my '97 TJ did not have rear speaker channel outputs. Pretty much any aftermarket radio will have rear channels, which do you have?
I currently have an older Pioneer stereo, but I'm looking to get a new one anyway. Either way, the factory stereo was toast a long time ago.

I currently have an older Pioneer stereo, but I'm looking to get a new one anyway. Either way, the factory stereo was toast a long time ago.
It's likely then that you can simply connect the soundbar speaker, with its four speaker wires, directly to the four rear channel speaker wires exiting the rear of the Pioneer.

There's a bit to getting the rear speakers "in phase" with each other and the front speakers too. Being in phase simply means all of the speakers are pushing and pulling in sync with each other. Being out of phase means you'll lose a bit of 'oomph' and it may even sound like there's an odd-feeling/sounding "hole" between the speakers when they're out of phase.

Basically that means you have to connect each speaker so its + and - connections are connected to the + and - connections coming out of the Pioneer head unit.

It's likely then that you can simply connect the soundbar speaker, with its four speaker wires, directly to the four rear channel speaker wires exiting the rear of the Pioneer.

There's a bit to getting the rear speakers "in phase" with each other and the front speakers too. Being in phase simply means all of the speakers are pushing and pulling in sync with each other. Being out of phase means you'll lose a bit of 'oomph' and it may even sound like there's an odd-feeling/sounding "hole" between the speakers when they're out of phase.

Basically that means you have to connect each speaker so its + and - connections are connected to the + and - connections coming out of the Pioneer head unit.
Thank you for the walkthrough. Do you think I would have an easier time getting a used factory soundbar enclosure or to find a third party one?

Wh
What radio was it that doesnt have rear outputs?

Thank you for the walkthrough. Do you think I would have an easier time getting a used factory soundbar enclosure or to find a third party one?
If you have a lead on a used soundbar that's what I would go with since it's made to mount on the rollbar in your TJ. Its screw holes line up with those in your TJ.

Can you say more about this? Is this a wiring issue or a speaker location/placement issue?

Can you say more about this? Is this a wiring issue or a speaker location/placement issue?
As the very last sentence explained it's a wiring issue. Making sure the polarity of the speakers all match... + to + and - to - on the wiring between the speakers and the amplifier.

Reactions: Moon Eyes
As the very last sentence explained it's a wiring issue. Making sure the polarity of the speakers all match... + to + and - to - on the wiring between the speakers and the amplifier.
Aha, sorry for misunderstanding the first time around. And yes, I see how that makes sense. Thanks!

If you have a lead on a used soundbar that's what I would go with since it's made to mount on the rollbar in your TJ. Its screw holes line up with those in your TJ.
I finally got a factory sound bar, but now I can't use it until I have the wiring. Do you know where I could find the right wiring and harness to attach it? I seem to get mixed results when I search for it.

I finally got a factory sound bar, but now I can't use it until I have the wiring. Do you know where I could find the right wiring and harness to attach it? I seem to get mixed results when I search for it.
If your TJ still has the original factory radio, many did not have a rear channel output so there is no factory wiring harness. If you have an aftermarket radio you're just going to have to run two pairs of wires between it and the speakers in the sound bar on your own. The sound bar has a small connector on the driver's side but it's an unusual connector so you'd be better off cutting it off and connecting the wires from the radio directly to the wiring behind the connector.

This is the wiring and their colors for the early sound bar used 97 on, I chose an early model sound bar which is most likely what you ended up with.

Capture.JPG

Left: +Brown/light blue tracer & - brown/yellow tracer.
Right: +Dark blue/pink tracer & - dark blue/white tracer.

If your TJ still has the original factory radio, many did not have a rear channel output so there is no factory wiring harness. If you have an aftermarket radio you're just going to have to run two pairs of wires between it and the speakers in the sound bar on your own. The sound bar has a small connector on the driver's side but it's an unusual connector so you'd be better off cutting it off and connecting the wires from the radio directly to the wiring behind the connector.

This is the wiring and their colors for the early sound bar used 97 on, I chose an early model sound bar which is most likely what you ended up with.

View attachment 220997

Left: +Brown/light blue tracer & - brown/yellow tracer.
Right: +Dark blue/pink tracer & - dark blue/white tracer.
I've discovered there is an open spot on this column that has many other wires attached. Would it be possible to just find a used sound bar wire harness and plug it in here?
20210125_143318.jpg

Yes, if you can find one. But again if your radio is (or was) the stock base factory radio there will be no rear channel wiring between it and where the sound bar harness plugs in under the instrument cluster. The base radio had no rear channels.

Yes, if you can find one. But again if your radio is (or was) the stock base factory radio there will be no rear channel wiring between it and where the sound bar harness plugs in under the instrument cluster. The base radio had no rear channels.
Got it. Thank you so much