Installing a transmission temperature guage in a 42RLE

Can’t provide actual experience but have seen a number of gauges installed there (in front of the transfer case lever) when reading on here.

I would’ve likely put it there if I didn’t have a locker switch already there. This weekend, I’m installing mine in the flat spot to the right of the stock rubicon locker.

I’m kicking around the idea of doing a detailed how to guide installing the temp senor because the how to guides I’ve found are good but missing basic info (like where to find power and ground) that over thinkers like me would like to see). Thinking of doing the write up in hopes of reducing how much we have to bug our knowledgeable members on here over basic questions lol

Autometer offers gauge angle rings that I assume allows the mounted gauge to tilt up towards the driver. Anyone try one of these in the location ahead of the hand brake? Wondering if it helped and if there is enough room at that location.

https://www.autometer.com/2-1-16-angle-rings-pack-of-3.html

Last edited:
Autometer offers gauge angle rings that I assume allows the mounted gauge to tilt up towards the driver. Anyone try one of these in the location ahead of the hand brake? Wondering if it helped and if there is enough room at that location.

https://www.autometer.com/2-1-16-angle-rings-pack-of-3.html

I’ve never tried one, but have seen them. You would have to make sure you have it high enough so the back of the gauge doesn’t hit the floor.

Can’t provide actual experience but have seen a number of gauges installed there (in front of the transfer case lever) when reading on here.
The rule of thumb is that any critical gauge needs to be in direct view of the driver, w/o removing the eyes from the road. People don’t really look at stuff that is not in the field of view.

The rule of thumb is that any critical gauge needs to be in direct view of the driver, w/o removing the eyes from the road. People don’t really look at stuff that is not in the field of view.

Sorry but I disagree with this. That may be applicable to people that don’t care what info the sensor is sharing but for someone like me, I look at it every few minutes or so when I come to a stop while off-roading/rock crawling which happens quite a bit when waiting for others. While on the hwy I can glance down at mine quickly (when there is not on coming traffic) to get an idea where I’m sitting. I installed mine just to the right of my factory locker switch (flat spot or ash tray area)

From a data perspective I just came back from a 6 hour wheeling trip(including waiting for others and to and from my house). Ambient air was 85-95 degrees and sunny. The 10 mile hwy drive over I didn’t see above 150 degrees. During the 11-12 miles off-road/crawling where I spent 80% in 4 low, temp sat around 180 most of the time. Flucated from 165-190. Temps were very steady, and increased/decreased slowly. Trail obstacles are rated 4-5, several extreme angle obstacles required front and rear lockers with my 33”s.

I have an analog auto meter guage so from what I saw the highest the transmission got was approx 190 toward to end of the offroad trail. I left the jeep running for majority of those 6 hours because when waiting for others, it’s better to keep the ATF and coolant flowing

Then the 10 miles home on the hwy I saw temps ranged from 165-180 with OD on half of the time.

Overall I’m very happy with how this new mopar radiator cools both my coolant and transmission ATF.

Not to say down the road I won’t install an aux cooler, but for now I’m going to continue to watch the temps

Reactions: MikeE024

People have survived without a HUD (heads-up-display) for about a century.

Not only do I look at my EGT gauge on the center console, but my little brain can compute the digital display faster than I can compute the battery voltage on the cluster.

Sorry but I disagree with this. That may be applicable to people that don’t care what info the sensor is sharing but for someone like me, I look at it every few minutes or so when I come to a stop while off-roading/rock crawling which happens quite a bit when waiting for others. While on the hwy I can glance down at mine quickly (when there is not on coming traffic) to get an idea where I’m sitting. I installed mine just to the right of my factory locker switch (flat spot or ash tray area)

From a data perspective I just came back from a 6 hour wheeling trip(including waiting for others and to and from my house). Ambient air was 85-95 degrees and sunny. The 10 mile hwy drive over I didn’t see above 150 degrees. During the 11-12 miles off-road/crawling where I spent 80% in 4 low, temp sat around 180 most of the time. Flucated from 165-190. Temps were very steady, and increased/decreased slowly. Trail obstacles are rated 4-5, several extreme angle obstacles required front and rear lockers with my 33”s.

I have an analog auto meter guage so from what I saw the highest the transmission got was approx 190 toward to end of the offroad trail. I left the jeep running for majority of those 6 hours because when waiting for others, it’s better to keep the ATF and coolant flowing

Then the 10 miles home on the hwy I saw temps ranged from 165-180 with OD on half of the time.

Overall I’m very happy with how this new mopar radiator cools both my coolant and transmission ATF.

Not to say down the road I won’t install an aux cooler, but for now I’m going to continue to watch the temps

Look, I just installed a remanufactured transmission a year ago. Started to run it with gauge and aux cooler. Cooler kicks in when needed, and transmission temps never get beyond 180F. On highway, with 75MPH, the temps stay around 160F, the fan of the aux cooler does not even need to kick in.

Look, I just installed a remanufactured transmission a year ago. Started to run it with gauge and aux cooler. Cooler kicks in when needed, and transmission temps never get beyond 180F. On highway, with 75MPH, the temps stay around 160F, the fan of the aux cooler does not even need to kick in.

What’s that have to do with your previous comments?

What transmission cooler are you using, and have you put it to the test crawling around in 4-low during hot weather?

People have survived without a HUD (heads-up-display) for about a century.

Not only do I look at my EGT gauge on the center console, but my little brain can compute the digital display faster than I can compute the battery voltage on the cluster.

There are lots of ways to do lots of things, like routing the hoses to shock reservoirs. Some of them make a lot of sense, and some of them while still able to be useful in some way, are still fucking stupid. One can justify all manner of dumb, makes it no less dumb.

There are lots of ways to do lots of things, like routing the hoses to shock reservoirs. Some of them make a lot of sense, and some of them while still able to be useful in some way, are still fucking stupid. One can justify all manner of dumb, makes it no less dumb.

I’ll consider a HUD if I ever see one that can do what I need it to do. Until then, I’ll make do with the TJ cluster and my digital gauges.

I specifically put two gauges in a custom A-Pilar and a digital gauge in the console to get me the info in reasonably clean & safe manner. While the solution I chose is not perfect, I believe it’s more reasonable than dumb.

I wouldn’t be able to live my life if things had to be perfect in order to do so.

I’ll consider a HUD if I ever see one that can do what I need it to do. Until then, I’ll make do with the TJ cluster and my digital gauges.

I specifically put two gauges in a custom A-Pilar and a digital gauge in the console to get me the info in reasonably clean & safe manner. While the solution I chose is not perfect, I believe it’s more reasonable than dumb.

I wouldn’t be able to live my life if things had to be perfect in order to do so.

If I ever work on your vehicle again, I shall remember your justifications and adapt my solutions and creativity significantly lower to meet your standards.

If I ever work on your vehicle again, I shall remember your justifications and adapt my solutions and creativity significantly lower to meet your standards.

Do you typically install temp gauges in the consol near the transfer case lever or in the dash to the right of factory rubicon locker switches?

Installed it there due to a switch already being in front of the transfer lever. It is a little tricky to read but does function. I couldn’t think of anywhere else to put the gauge (I didn’t want to install it on top of my dash and reduce visibility)

image.jpg

Do you typically install temp gauges in the consol near the transfer case lever or in the dash to the right of factory rubicon locker switches?

Installed it there due to a switch already being in front of the transfer lever. It is a little tricky to read but does function. I couldn’t think of anywhere else to put the gauge (I didn’t want to install it on top of my dash and reduce visibility)

View attachment 435678

Typically they can go in front of the t-case shift lever for a console location up until 05 when the console changed. 05-06 go in the dash where your pic shows it even if we have to move switches to get it there.

Oddly, if you do mount a small pod on top of the dash, you will discover that it sits lower or the same height as the top of the instrument cluster bezel. So they do not encroach on visibility much at all. The way to check is to set something up there roughly the same height and then see if the end of the hood line is visible. If you can see the end of the hood over the gauge pod, it is only affecting your psychological view. That is how we figure out the max height for a dash bar.

Reactions: TexasTJ2004

Fair enough.

I’m curious now, If you were to provide me the ability to see my IATs, exhaust temps, transmission temps, and boost…what solution would you have chosen without using a Scangage or Android head unit?

Typically they can go in front of the t-case shift lever for a console location up until 05 when the console changed. 05-06 go in the dash where your pic shows it even if we have to move switches to get it there.

Aren’t those options both a level of “dumb” per your own logic?

Oddly, if you do mount a small pod on top of the dash, you will discover that it sits lower or the same height as the top of the instrument cluster bezel. So they do not encroach on visibility much at all. The way to check is to set something up there roughly the same height and then see if the end of the hood line is visible. If you can see the end of the hood over the gauge pod, it is only affecting your psychological view. That is how we figure out the max height for a dash bar.

Imo, the custom A-Pillar makes good use of the corner blind spot that already exists, and it doesn't impede visibility enough to create a practical problem.

IMG_5268.jpeg

This is where I have my transmission temperature gauge. It is very natural, in the same area as any other gauges.

Reactions: mrblaine