Installing a transmission temperature guage in a 42RLE

80* is effectively the min on that gauge, right? You may have the sender mis-wired. On my glow shift gauge if one of the wires gets disconnected the gauge pegs out the other direction. Which isn't exactly your problem, but it does demonstrate that a wiring issue can make the gauge peg one way, so why not also the other?

….and then 5 more wires at the back of the gauge. But by all means, we should definitely assume the wiring is fine.

Those are placed as instructed. It lights up. The dimmer switch works. According to the online "service tech" @ glow shift. it is wired correctly.

This is great. Do you have any pics of the installation under your Jeep? Trying to imagine how far the sensor sticks out, does it come close to hitting anything, like the skid? How did you route the wires?

Ever a response to this question?

Worried my skid may interfere with the sensor

Install the sensor here:

IMG_1150.JPG

Reactions: Mike_H
Is that a brazed or welded bung?

If I did it, it isn't normal brazing since I use a high temp black flux and 45-55% silver solder since I can't actually do any brazing worth a crap. I do know how to use silver solder in the right grades though. What I do is similar to how they attach the carbide teeth on saw blades.

If I did it, it isn't normal brazing since I use a high temp black flux and 45-55% silver solder since I can't actually do any brazing worth a crap. I do know how to use silver solder in the right grades though. What I do is similar to how they attach the carbide teeth on saw blades.

You did do that one. I think you may have mentioned all that in the private messages we exchanged at that time. It’s been leak free. 👍🏼

Doesn't the factory 42RLE have a temperature sensor in it already? It should be able to be read by the right diagnostic tool. I use the Torque app with a bluetooth OBD plug-in on my motorhome. That allows me to read the trans temp as well as many more channels without modifications.