Installing an alarm in 97 TJ?

bluegoat

Hello. Want to get an opinion and advice on this. My TJ is a weekend driver. Rest of time it sits by garage. I am thinking about installing some type of basic alarm. Its a manual transmission. Manual doors and windows. I dont care about power doors and all that stuff. Just need something that will have an ignition kill and shock sensor. Any how to guides out there? Youtube had nothing of value.
Thanks

Why not install the factory SKIM system?

Sentry Key Immobilizer Module (SKIM) Install / Retrofit

No one will be able to do anything without the grey key.

If that doesn't work, alarms are very easy to install. In fact, most major brands of alarms will not only come with detailed instructions, but often times have plug-and-play harnesses for some vehicles.

I was looking at getting a Viper alarm a little, I still might as I've seen some people recommend them but can't speak to install. I've also seen a lot of hidden kill switches around where you can't start the Jeep unless something is flipped on which might be more what you'd be interested in for that extra level of protection.

I feel car alarms do very little unless you personally are close by as most people walking by will probably ignore it unless it's something obvious. But thats a different discussion

Last edited:
Reactions: skrelnik
I feel car alarms do very little unless you personally are close by as most people walking by will probably ignore it unless it's something obvious. But thats a different discussion

I agree with this 100%. But you're right, different discussion.

club.png

There are lots of alarms available depending on your budget. You can get just a simple siren to an alarm that will text you when activated. Install is relatively easy so long as you don't mind cutting and splicing wires in your steering column. Here is a video that shows the basics.
However most car thieves are just looking for a quick grab so you really don't need an alarm. Just install a hood lock a kill switch and an led light as a visual deterrent. I went a step further and removed my door lock cylinders. I have a hard top but I don't think it matters. Its faster to defeat the door lock than to cut a soft top. If you just take some simple steps to advertise that your Jeep is hardened against theft most thieves will head on down the road looking for an easier steal. Plus it helps avoid some scumbag damaging your Jeep before the figure out its not worth it.

Reactions: KCsTJ
If the thieves want your Jeep, no alarm will do anything but slow them down by 30 seconds. My built '97 TJ was stolen ten years ago and witness confirmed they didn't even try to start it. They backed a flatbed tow truck up to it and used the winch to drag it backwards out of my company parking space. 8' from in front of where my secretary was sitting. Never saw it again, I was told by LEO that it ended up in Mexico 40 miles south of there.

Reactions: tomtaylz and Chris
Jerry makes a good point. An alarm doesn't do much at all. Smart thieves who really want a vehicle will just load it up on a trailer.

The best thing you can have in this case isn't an alarm... it's damn good insurance. You can pay more to insure for your modifications too. That's what I did. If my TJ were to get stolen, I'd be reimbursed for everything, including my mods. It's not that much more either!

Jerry makes a good point. An alarm doesn't do much at all. Smart thieves who really want a vehicle will just load it up on a trailer.

The best thing you can have in this case isn't an alarm... it's damn good insurance. You can pay more to insure for your modifications too. That's what I did. If my TJ were to get stolen, I'd be reimbursed for everything, including my mods. It's not that much more either!
X2, good insurance is crucial. I was fortunate to have AAA who was absolutely amazing on how well they paid me off after my TJ was stolen. I received far more than than I had even dreamed I'd get. AAA didn't know how to adjust my claim after seeing my 3 page spreadsheet and receipts so they hired an outside independent adjuster for my claim. The independent adjuster said I would have been screwed with any other insurance company. Incidentally, AAA is a mutual not-for-profit and as such isn't all about the bottom line. I will never switch to another insurance company.

Reactions: Chris
X2, good insurance is crucial. I was fortunate to have AAA who was absolutely amazing on how well they paid me off after my TJ was stolen. I received far more than than I had even dreamed I'd get. AAA didn't know how to adjust my claim after seeing my 3 page spreadsheet and receipts so they hired an outside independent adjuster for my claim. The independent adjuster said I would have been screwed with any other insurance company. Incidentally, AAA is a mutual not-for-profit and as such isn't all about the bottom line. I will never switch to another insurance company.

I didn't even know AAA offered insurance. I'm going to have to look into that now.

I know that my insurance company (PEMCO) will let you insure for aftermarket modifications. I'm paying for an extra 15k worth of modifications on the policy... because you never know! It only upped my rate about $5 a month, and I can't complain about that one bit. I'd rather be safe than sorry.

Chris, AAA didn't know about any of my modifications until the day I turned my claim in. For all they knew it was 100% stock. That's another reason why I feel they went way above what I expected.

That’s awesome. With State Farm all my mods are insured with no extra cost or so they say. I need to be more organized with my receipts making them digital.