Installing auxiliary lights using factory fog light switch

Bionic_Scorpion

TJ Enthusiast
I'm thinking about purchasing this EAG bumper and I was wondering if I can hook the two round LED fog lights and the middle LED light bar up to the factory fog light switch of my 2000 jeep sahara.

20200216_105333.jpg

The two round LED lights are 12w each and the LED light bar is 120w. I know very little about electrical and didnt know if the factory wiring would carry that load or not.

In case I choose a different setup, what's the total wattage from LED'S can the factory switch and wiring carry?

Thanks for the help.

The stock fog lights are 55W I believe. @Jerry Bransford might know better than I would, but I believe they are 55W.

The stock fog light circuit will definitely power those smaller round LED lights, but it's not going to power that light bar if it is indeed 120W.

Reactions: jkosten
I put a pair of 100 watt halogen fog lights in place of my 55 watt halogens. Instead of using the factory wiring, I ran an extra relay. They are used as fog lights (on-road), so I needed to maintain the action of the fog lights automatically turning off when high beams are on. Otherwise I would have used a separate switch.

I don’t know about the current rating for the fog light relay. A comment about EAG bumpers though. They use 5/32 inch steel while just about everyone else uses 3/16 inch. Just sayin...

Reactions: Tob
You need to contact EAG on what the actual current draw is.
For instance at Superbright they have a 40" bar that has TWICE as many bulbs as this bumper and only draws 9 amps. Thus you would use a 10 amp fuse. If I'm not mistaken, which I have been known to be, 40 LED's aren't going to draw much current. if you change out a 60 watt home light bulb w/ the equivalent LED, although it say "60 watts", actual current draw is 8 watts.

I appreciate all the help guys. I'm still looking around before I decide what to do. I'm not opposed to adding pods to another style bumper but I was hoping to be able to find a bumper with integrated lights that will run off the factory switch because I don't want to add an aftermarket switch to the dash.

Have you considered wiring the fog lights to the fog light switch and the light bar separately? Not only could you use the factory fog light relay, it gives you more options at the wheel

I appreciate all the help guys. I'm still looking around before I decide what to do. I'm not opposed to adding pods to another style bumper but I was hoping to be able to find a bumper with integrated lights.
Here are KC Hilites 6" Slimlite 100 watt halogen fogs on a Rock Hard 4x4 bumper:
1581892913698256004835749259205.jpg

(Fog lights are the lower ones. Uppers are 130w spots.)
They're set pretty far back so they won't be easily impacted.

It's pretty easy to add lights how you want. You could probably go at almost any bumper with a hole saw if you want integral lights.

Rigid has a whole line of flush mount lights that only stick out maybe 1/2".

Reactions: DrDmoney
I thought about it but I didn't want to add an aftermarket switch to the dash.

Why don't you want to add a switch to the dash?

Is it because of wiring abilities or just just not wanting to add a switch randonly somewhere? If it's just the having a switch randomly placed somewhere and looking out of place, there may be a work around for you.

If you have room on the factory switch panel right below the climate controls, you can add a fog light switch from an XJ Cherokee (maybe the early TJ's too, I don't know). You can wire it up with a relay and whatever size wire you need to handle whatever watt lights you want. And it will look factory in the cab.

Mine control some lights mounted in my rear bumper.

IMG_5601.JPG

IMG_5670.JPG

Why don't you want to add a switch to the dash?

Is it because of wiring abilities or just just not wanting to add a switch randonly somewhere? If it's just the having a switch randomly placed somewhere and looking out of place, there may be a work around for you.

If you have room on the factory switch panel right below the climate controls, you can add a fog light switch from an XJ Cherokee (maybe the early TJ's too, I don't know). You can wire it up with a relay and whatever size wire you need to handle whatever watt lights you want. And it will look factory in the cab.

Mine control some lights mounted in my rear bumper.

View attachment 140698
View attachment 140699

Yeah I don't want a switch in a random location. I like your idea but my jeep is a 2000 model and I just have 3 switches in that location and all 3 spaces are taken up with the rear defroster, rear wiper and fog light switches.

Reactions: MountaineerTom
Yeah I don't want a switch in a random location. I like your idea but my jeep is a 2000 model and I just have 3 switches in that location and all 3 spaces are taken up with the rear defroster, rear wiper and fog light switches.

Ah, I see.

Here are KC Hilites 6" Slimlite 100 watt halogen fogs on a Rock Hard 4x4 bumper:
View attachment 140692
(Fog lights are the lower ones. Uppers are 130w spots.)
They're set pretty far back so they won't be easily impacted.

It's pretty easy to add lights how you want. You could probably go at almost any bumper with a hole saw if you want integral lights.

Rigid has a whole line of flush mount lights that only stick out maybe 1/2".

Your setup looks good but I'm wanting to go in a different direction.

I think I'll keep it simple and go with a stubby bumper like this one.

20200216_173746.jpg

Then I can add two blacked out Ridged pods like these.

20200216_173731.jpg

I believe that would go really well with the blacked out look I'm going with on my jeep to match the head lights, turn signals and side markers.

20200216_173635.jpg

20200216_173645.jpg

Plus with just two auxiliary lights I shouldnt have to worry about any additional wiring or relays.

Reactions: Steel City 06
Your setup looks good but I'm wanting to go in a different direction.

I think I'll keep it simple and go with a stubby bumper like this one.

View attachment 140703

Then I can add two blacked out Ridged pods like these.

View attachment 140704

I believe that would go really well with the blacked out look I'm going with on my jeep to match the head lights, turn signals and side markers.

View attachment 140705

View attachment 140706

Plus with just two auxiliary lights I shouldnt have to worry about any additional wiring or relays.
Clean look. Are your smoked turn signals and marker lights from Depo?