Installing backup camera

Rubicon88

TJ Addict
I installed a backup camera and thought I'd share a few pics...

First of all you'll need an aftermarket radio capable of displaying a backup camera.

The backup camera if you've got an aftermarket spare carrier and wish to mount it there on the plate I HIGHLY advise getting a lighted camera. The reverse lights on the Jeep aren't the brightest to begin with then adding the spare location. Definitely a lighted camera is better suited.
I used this one....

20201025_150536.jpg

The wires for this camera look like this..

Screenshot_20201025-160307_Chrome.jpg

Don't be intimidated by these wires.
When you roll this out you have on the radio side an RCA plug (that's the video display) and red wire. The red wire splices into an apricot/pink wire from the existing aftermarket radio harness. It will actually be labeled
(+ backup camera on a tag amid the aftermarket radio harness. This is the signal wire to the head unit. )

On the camera side you have a small black plug,, a red wire, and black wire. the small black plug from the harness...plugs into the camera. (It has a matching black plug) comnected to the camera and approximately 3 feet long.

The black wire is for ground and the red wire needs attached to one of the reverse light wires.

I came straight down from the dash area with the wires and under the carpet...
20201025_172445~2.jpg

Then ran it under the carpet alomg the ledge by the rear of the floor mat...and out right by the finger
20201025_172451~2.jpg

I ran the wires right beside the factory harness tucked under the body lip going to the back.
20201025_134857.jpg

For ease of installation I tapped into the wires right at the entry way (finger)
There are two violet wires with black line.

Either one works as these are the reverse lights for both sides.
The red wire gets spliced into one of these.

There is a solid black wire here in this factory Jeep harness too. Thats wbere the black wire from the camera splices into.

How to get the wires to the outside?

I used the factory grommet under the carpet where the factory harness exits the rear of the vehicle. I poked a second slit in the grommet and the camera wires fed out no problem.
Tucked behind the bumper/body mounts to the other side. Then up to the camera.

20201025_134947.jpg

20201025_134955.jpg

I mounted it on the bottom. As I have the license plate light on top. (Dog wouldn't move. Tried to picture from afar ...
20201025_134834~2.jpg

And up close..

20201025_134759~2.jpg

Should've installed one long ago. Especially with an over sized spare mounted right there.

Couple notes....
Definitely feed the camera wiring harness from the top down. In other words feed it from behind the radio down to the carpet then back to the camera....instead of trying to fish it up from the bottom up behind all that stuff.

Only one grommet and it is on the left side. (Driver side)
Definitely run the harness this side to avoid making an exit hole in the body.

If you've ever been thinking about this go for it. Works great

Nice, I put one i bought off Amazon in my tj, it recorded both front and back, the rear view much better over the spare tire and aux fuel tank than the view with the mirror, problem with the one I bought was hooked up the way it was designed there was a constant trickle drain on the battery that would kill it in 2 or 3 days if I left it parked. Wiring it so it completely shut off with the ignition it would reuse the file numbers making it hard to locate an incident if you needed to. I eventually unhooked it so not to risk a dead battery out camping and don’t use it now. Curious how this one you have uses power and manages file storage?

Nice, I put one i bought off Amazon in my tj, it recorded both front and back, the rear view much better over the spare tire and aux fuel tank than the view with the mirror, problem with the one I bought was hooked up the way it was designed there was a constant trickle drain on the battery that would kill it in 2 or 3 days if I left it parked. Wiring it so it completely shut off with the ignition it would reuse the file numbers making it hard to locate an incident if you needed to. I eventually unhooked it so not to risk a dead battery out camping and don’t use it now. Curious how this one you have uses power and manages file storage?
This unit had a front camera already installed (from the PO) but no reverse camera.
It starts recording the moment the key is on. .(running or not) (the front camera i mean)
It saves files into a micro SD card....which I had no clue about ..

Funny story about that. My fiancé and I were on a trail a few weeks back...I hadn't been on this trail in a long time...
Some guy stops us ahd says he owns this ground and why the hell were we on it. (His behavior was of a raging psycho.....i shit you not)I said well this used to be owned by xyz abd was always freely open for a ride. I said I didn't see any signs stating anything different or no trespassing, etc. Now he starts getting all pissy saying he has signs up abd we ignored them. (Mind you we never went above 5 mph abd always stayed on the trail.)
I said sir, I assure you there are no signs up...I've got it all recorded right here. Would you like to see?

He knew he was wrong about the signs and didn't wabt to see the recordings...so we just left.

The moment we got back my fiancé all pissed wanted to see the recordings.

Weeelllllllll there were none of this trail we just went on. WTH....as it turns out it was out of recording space (which I knew nothing about) abd found out a micro SD card did the recordings and was full.

Anyways the front camera is always recording with key on in 3 minute blocks. It records 3 minutes then immediately starts a new 3 minute recording. Storing them all on the microSD

The reverse is just for backup only and isn't recorded. (At least I don't think it's being recorded.) I'll have to check the files.

It's all in the settings on a dash cam. Most you can set to loop when out of space, meaning it will overwrite the oldest file. Should also be able to set the rear camera to record, but then it'll use more space on the SD.

I run dash cameras down here in S. FL, as I have been hit and run 3 times in the past 2 years. Last one was just before my dash cam arrived. and was on the TJ... they killed the driver's side front milk jug, slightly tweaked the fender, and killed the steering stabilizer bushing and damaged the drag-link end at the pitman arm. Their entire quarter panel was caved in...

I installed a backup camera and thought I'd share a few pics...
Thanks for the tips and the walkthrough! Your post answered my q’s of where to run the wires and where to tap in. I will be installing a bullet style in the bumper next week.