Installing cruise control on a 2.4 liter TJ

Guitarguy

TJ Enthusiast
Hey guys! So I've got an 06 Wrangler with the 2.4 and the 6 speed. I was wondering if any of you 2.4 guys out there have put cruise control on your TJ's. I pulled the cruise control module out of a liberty and it worked well and hooked right up to the TJ factory wiring but the cable was too long and I had to drill a hole in the throttle cable bracket off the throttle body to thread the cruise cable through. I screwed a barrel on the end which worked fine till the barrel came off on the highway. I'm thinking of pulling a cruise control unit from a PT cruiser or neon but it looks like the distance from the bracket to the throttle cable to the throttle body is different in those vehicles. I can't find cruise cables for the TJ with the 2.4. Can y'all think of anything I could pull a cable from that would fit? Everything I've tried doesn't fit the bracket or doesnt use the same barrels to connect to the throttle body.

Alrighty so I ended up snagging the cruise control module out if a 01 PT Cruiser in a junkyard and it works pretty well! With the 06 TJ's having the same steering wheel as the WJ and is pre wired for cruise control even on the base model, I was able to snag the cruise buttons off a WJ in the junkyard as well and it all works about 80%. Because the cruise control cable for the PT cruiser seems to be a tad longer than the TJ 2.4, you've gotta hit the accelerate button a few times to compensate for the extra cable and the 2.4 can't hold highway speeds up hill too well but thats not the cruise control's fault. Hope this helps! Next up, steering wheel radio controls!....maybe 🤣

I have added wire tied to the end of cables. Cut of the tag end of the ties. That takes up some slack, Fords are bad about that at the Throttle inside. Add a couple wire tie's and its back to normal. Will that allow the slack to be taken up on your cable?

I've added it to many 4.0s myself, but never a 2.4. Someone has to have done it though. The 2.4s just aren't as common, which is probably why there isn't as much of a response.

Yeah there's not much on the 2.4. I don't recommend getting one though, kinda a pain. And sorry I don't think I follow tnpete, any chance you can add pics of what you're talking about?

Yeah there's not much on the 2.4. I don't recommend getting one though, kinda a pain. And sorry I don't think I follow tnpete, any chance you can add pics of what you're talking about?
No pics but the extra cable between the stop on the end. Then where the stop needs to hit. Put wire ties around the cable. That round section takes up the slack. Add enough to take up the slack in the cable.
The big end of a wire tie when going around the cable.Acts as a spacer.