Installing factory fog lights on a pre-wired TJ

A switch beside the O/D may be the correct call. In my case I installed the relay and changed the Multi Swicth but what I've learned is that the relay is just to turn off the spot lights when you activate the high beams. Bending one of the relay terminals will defeat this purpose.

The switch should be rated on 2 amps or above since the spot light current goes through it instead of the relay.

I have an 03. I found the one for the drivers side in the grill, not the fender. I can’t seem to find the one on the passenger side.

Thanks Zorba. All information was very instructive and clear. I checked your page and could not it move away until I read all your articles (experiences) while rebuilding and improving your ride. Keep it up. The Radio Flyer story was moving. Thanks.
I have a 2004 Wrangler X. There is a pigtail at the left side that I beleive is for this use but none at the right side. I install a head light switch with the fog light option and the relay but have not been able to get the OE factory fog lights. I have the project on hold because of these issues. Any clarification and/or help?
Did you find the one for the passenger side?

I have an 03. I found the one for the drivers side in the grill, not the fender. I can’t seem to find the one on the passenger side.
Midtenn, that connector you found it's not actually for the fog lights. That one is to connect the temperature sensor used for the mirror display who features this option.

Midtenn, that connector you found it's not actually for the fog lights. That one is to connect the temperature sensor used for the mirror display who features this option.

Hahaha. I spent hours all day looking for the other side. It appears my 03 didn’t come with the wiring. Makes the next step at lot easier.

Reviving this thread as I tackle the install of fogs.

I removed the switch bank in my 2000. I have switches for the rear wiper and defroster, neither of which are needed... no hard top for me. The blank, which I assume should be for factory fogs, had a pigtail inserted in the back, which I thought would be for the fogs.

Checking in the glove box.. no green relay.
Checking up front I see no pigtails under either fender. I do see a single pigtail on driver side tucked under the horns, but no idea what that goes to.

While it looked like I was prewired for fogs at the switch, I can't determine where that harness goes.

Not a huge issue as the Hella 500FFs I want to install come with a harness, but it would have nice to plug them in be done.

I installed a new MF switch with the fog light pullout, put in 2 fuses, checked for the relay (already present, but ordered replacement anyway), bought pigtails for the connectors under the fenders, and....no juice on either side. The indicator on the dash is working.

I'm going in with a multimeter tomorrow to check the connectors, and I'm going to clean them thoroughly since they've been just sitting there for 16 years, but does anyone know what point of failure is immediately upstream from there?

Update: Forgot to mention these are LED fog lights. Not sure if that's relevant.

Last edited:
I installed a new MF switch with the fog light pullout, put in 2 fuses, checked for the relay (already present, but ordered replacement anyway), bought pigtails for the connectors under the fenders, and....no juice on either side. The indicator on the dash is working.

I'm going in with a multimeter tomorrow to check the connectors, and I'm going to clean them thoroughly since they've been just sitting there for 16 years, but does anyone know what point of failure is immediately upstream from there?

Update: Forgot to mention these are LED fog lights. Not sure if that's relevant.

The connectors were completely corroded on mine, I had to use a file to clean them up. Your instincts are good, that's probably the problem.

Reactions: MikekiM
A little filing on the contacts, then...

DatwMtO3cy55X6_wZg23ZZsA=w2573-h1937-no?authuser=0.jpg

I ran the conduit through the holes in the grille right behind those lights and in front of the radiator to the fender wells.

PS: Please don't make fun of my huge fender flares. I will be getting offset wheels at some point in the future. :D

Thank you to all who posted in this thread. New to me TJ and new to the forum. Been reading extensively and all my questions so far have been answered by the how to threads. Extremely helpful!

• USA Proud
Reactions: MikekiM
This writeup will detail the installation of factory fog lights on a 2005 TJ X that was pre-wired for fogs from the factory. The majority of 2005 and 2006 X models came with the fog harnesses under each fender. Fogs were an added option on the X model and were easily added if ordered. This writeup will expand on truckin88's previous thread about factory fogs.

The first thing you need to do to determine if you can easily add factory fogs without having to run any wires is to check under each fender to see if you have the factory harness and plug. The plug will be under each fender towards the front of the grill and will look like this:
View attachment 10122

If you see this, you are pre-wired and can add fog lights easily.

Things you will need:
  1. Multifunction switch with factory fog light option
  2. Factory fog relay
  3. Fog lights (I went with the factory fog lights, but any others would work as well)
First thing you need to do is take apart the steering column that houses the headlight switch. You will need to install the new multifunction headlight / fog switch. There are 2 phillips head screws holding the housing together underneath the steering wheel seen here: (It's easiest to get them out with the steering wheel all the way up)

View attachment 10123

Once you have the column apart you there will be 2 harness plugs that need to be removed from the switch, one for the headlights, and one for the wiper. There are orange clips on each one that need to be released before they will unplug. They may be easier to remove once you pull the 2 T20 Torx screws holding the unit down.

View attachment 10124

View attachment 10125

View attachment 10126

Once you have the old switch out you will need to remove the wiper portion and a relay on the back of the unit. The wiper portion has 2 T10 Torx screws that holds it on. Both parts will be added to the new multifunction switch.

View attachment 10127

Just reinstall the new switch and put the steering column back together and you're ready to move on to the next step.

You will need to install the fog switch relay that is located in the fuse box under the hood.

View attachment 10128

View attachment 10129

View attachment 10130

Last step is to plug in the fogs to the harness under each fender! Jeep must have made a change in 2005 to the factory fog plug because the lights I have were from 2004 and the plugs wouldn't mate. The plugs on the lights and under the fender are actually identical, shown here:

View attachment 10131

All you need to do at this point if you're in this situation is clip the plug off the fog lights and attach wire clips to each wire. Make sure you have the ground and power wires matched correctly and plug each into the factory plug under the fender.

View attachment 10132

View attachment 10133

Wrap each plug well with electrical tape to keep water out.

That's the extent of it, now you have factory fogs or aftermarket fogs without having to run any wires. I chose to go with factory fogs because I like the factory look. Obviously there are far better fogs on the market. A bonus to going this route is the factory indicator in the guage cluster:

View attachment 10134

View attachment 10135

View attachment 10136

This writeup will detail the installation of factory fog lights on a 2005 TJ X that was pre-wired for fogs from the factory. The majority of 2005 and 2006 X models came with the fog harnesses under each fender. Fogs were an added option on the X model and were easily added if ordered. This writeup will expand on truckin88's previous thread about factory fogs.

The first thing you need to do to determine if you can easily add factory fogs without having to run any wires is to check under each fender to see if you have the factory harness and plug. The plug will be under each fender towards the front of the grill and will look like this:
View attachment 10122

If you see this, you are pre-wired and can add fog lights easily.

Things you will need:
  1. Multifunction switch with factory fog light option
  2. Factory fog relay
  3. Fog lights (I went with the factory fog lights, but any others would work as well)
First thing you need to do is take apart the steering column that houses the headlight switch. You will need to install the new multifunction headlight / fog switch. There are 2 phillips head screws holding the housing together underneath the steering wheel seen here: (It's easiest to get them out with the steering wheel all the way up)

View attachment 10123

Once you have the column apart you there will be 2 harness plugs that need to be removed from the switch, one for the headlights, and one for the wiper. There are orange clips on each one that need to be released before they will unplug. They may be easier to remove once you pull the 2 T20 Torx screws holding the unit down.

View attachment 10124

View attachment 10125

View attachment 10126

Once you have the old switch out you will need to remove the wiper portion and a relay on the back of the unit. The wiper portion has 2 T10 Torx screws that holds it on. Both parts will be added to the new multifunction switch.

View attachment 10127

Just reinstall the new switch and put the steering column back together and you're ready to move on to the next step.

You will need to install the fog switch relay that is located in the fuse box under the hood.

View attachment 10128

View attachment 10129

View attachment 10130

Last step is to plug in the fogs to the harness under each fender! Jeep must have made a change in 2005 to the factory fog plug because the lights I have were from 2004 and the plugs wouldn't mate. The plugs on the lights and under the fender are actually identical, shown here:

View attachment 10131

All you need to do at this point if you're in this situation is clip the plug off the fog lights and attach wire clips to each wire. Make sure you have the ground and power wires matched correctly and plug each into the factory plug under the fender.

View attachment 10132

View attachment 10133

Wrap each plug well with electrical tape to keep water out.

That's the extent of it, now you have factory fogs or aftermarket fogs without having to run any wires. I chose to go with factory fogs because I like the factory look. Obviously there are far better fogs on the market. A bonus to going this route is the factory indicator in the guage cluster:

View attachment 10134

View attachment 10135

View attachment 10136

Great write up! Thankyou!

Reactions: Chris
I have a 2005 TJ that appears to be factory wired for fog lights. It looks like the Headlight switch is the correct one for fog lights but doesn't have the switch on the consul next to the rear wiper/rear defrost. The issue is the fog light indicator on the instrument cluster is on all the time, even when the key is out of the ignition. Planning to add the factory style lights to the bumper, I guess we will see if it works. Any ideas on the light being on all the time? Thank you.

fog 1.jpg

fog 2.jpg

fog 3.jpg

I have a 2005 TJ that appears to be factory wired for fog lights. It looks like the Headlight switch is the correct one for fog lights but doesn't have the switch on the consul next to the rear wiper/rear defrost. The issue is the fog light indicator on the instrument cluster is on all the time, even when the key is out of the ignition. Planning to add the factory style lights to the bumper, I guess we will see if it works. Any ideas on the light being on all the time? Thank you.

View attachment 483967

View attachment 483968

View attachment 483969

You may have a short at the multifunction switch plug like I did in my 2005.

Are you getting a voltage reading at the fog light plugs?

My understanding is that you turn on the fogs with a multifunction switch that includes the fogs light switch, so you would need to change that part. FWIW, I will be getting that part as well at some point... I didn't know about the fogs option when I purchased my replacement switch.

If it were me, I'd order the new multi-function switch w/ fogs that you want (my napa switch w/o fogs has worked well for me), and I'd order this connector in case the plug is melted like mine was that way you have it in case you need it.

You may have a short at the multifunction switch plug like I did in my 2005.

Are you getting a voltage reading at the fog light plugs?

My understanding is that you turn on the fogs with a multifunction switch that includes the fogs light switch, so you would need to change that part. FWIW, I will be getting that part as well at some point... I didn't know about the fogs option when I purchased my replacement switch.

If it were me, I'd order the new multi-function switch w/ fogs that you want (my napa switch w/o fogs has worked well for me), and I'd order this connector in case the plug is melted like mine was that way you have it in case you need it.

Thank you Mike, I'll post an update when I get into the project to let the group know what I found.

Reactions: MikeE024
The connectors on my TJ were completely corroded after spending 17 years being exposed. I used a dental pick to scrape each side of the contacts, sprayed with electrical contact cleaner and repeated the process until they made a reliable electrical connection. Andy

Reactions: MikeE024
The connectors on my TJ were completely corroded after spending 17 years being exposed. I used a dental pick to scrape each side of the contacts, sprayed with electrical contact cleaner and repeated the process until they made a reliable electrical connection. Andy

I plan to do the same and run some Deoxit if/when I add lights to the bumper.

Reactions: AndyA
Not a huge issue as the Hella 500FFs I want to install come with a harness, but it would have nice to plug them in be done.

I am going to replace my factory lights with the Hellas. I want to paint the covers black and put a JEEP logo on them.

After 25 years the factory housings are getting brittle, so may as well replace them before they break.