Installing factory fog lights on a pre-wired TJ

I have the silver TJ, and wanted to know if anyone found a good extension for the factory plug? I changed my bumpers and want to add back the fog lights but when I put the factory set back on the new bumper did not like the look. Want or must say have to have round fogs or it would not be a TJ, any recommendations for replacements? I know there are tons of options and you guys always have some great feedback. Thank you.
few pics added of the bumper and the female connector attached on the inside of each fender.

View attachment 52086

View attachment 52087
I used something like this.
https://www.quadratec.com/products/97109_0905_14.htm

I found my problem with the fog lights. The extensions I used were not making good contact with the lights.
I cut the ends off the lights and soldered the extensions with stock connector on it. Plugged up all good now.

8167DED7-97FF-478F-AD94-03F8B6B441FD.jpeg

Reactions: MikeE024 and Chris
The later 03-06 models did for sure, but I'm not sure about the 97-02 models. It's easy to check, just look under the fenders for wiring and two empty plugs (one on each side).

I'm gonna check on this for mine, thanks for the tip!

eta - the answer appears to be no. :(

Last edited:
Reactions: Chris
No, the stock wiring can't handle 100 watts without damaging the wiring / relay. You'd need to upgrade your relay / wiring harness.

The smart thing to do would be go to LEDs like I did, but if not, you're going to have to upgrade the wiring harness and relays.
Decided to read all the How To Guides yesterday as a great class in TJs problems, solutions, and ideas. Was going to tap into the 06 fogs with 100 watt until I read this. Again the forum has saved me a problem. Thanks Chris. What did u use a bar or traditional round LEDs.

I bought the OEM Mopar fogs which dont come with the threaded nut. Anybody know the threading/size of the nut I need to buy to mount these lights?

Sorry man, the original post had pictures of a silver TJ so I assumed that was yours.

My TJ has the factory rear fog light.
The stalk has two pullout positions, the first does nothing and the second is the rear fog light.

I’m assuming the first is the front fog lights and hoping that its as simple as adding the lights and a relay and they’ll work.

I don’t have wiring in the inner guards but inside the engine bay on both guards I have the plugs pictured below.

Can anyone confirm those are the right plugs?

View attachment 44962
View attachment 44963
View attachment 44964

Here’s a picture of the factory rear fog light.

View attachment 44965

I have the same setup on my NZ 05 TJ including the rear fog. The 3pin plug your holding gets power when the headlights are turned on on mine.
I can't find any wiring for the front foglights, except these 2 mystery plugs in the photo. The left hand one is plugged into a socket that seems to go nowhere, and the right hand is just sitting there. They come out of the same wiring loom as the headlights.

On the stalk, the fog indicator on the dash only comes on when I pull it out AND turn it forward. (Rear light comes on)20200418_161453.jpg

Last edited:
I have a 2006 with the factory wiring but I don't have fog lights on my multifunction switch. Is there a way to use a toggle switch instead of a new multi function switch? What wires would I tap into so I can still use the existing fuse and relay? Has anyone ever tried this? Thanks

I have a 2006 with the factory wiring but I don't have fog lights on my multifunction switch. Is there a way to use a toggle switch instead of a new multi function switch? What wires would I tap into so I can still use the existing fuse and relay? Has anyone ever tried this? Thanks
I did exactly this. The blow-by-blow is here:
http://www.doubleveil.net/jeep/eleven.htm

I have a 2004 Wrangler X. There is a pigtail at the left side that I beleive is for this use but none at the right side. I install a head light switch with the fog light option and the relay but have not been able to get the OE factory fog lights. I have the project on hold because of these issues. Any clarification and/or help?

I have a 2004 Wrangler X. There is a pigtail at the left side that I beleive is for this use but none at the right side. I install a head light switch with the fog light option and the relay but have not been able to get the OE factory fog lights. I have the project on hold because of these issues. Any clarification and/or help?
I bypassed the switch completely and installed a rocker switch. Have you traced the power and checked the fuses?

Thank you. I check for voltage and is not present. Engine bay fuses are ok. Are the fuse box behind the glove compartment also related? The cluster indicator turns on when the headlight switch is activated for fog lights.

Thank you. I check for voltage and is not present. Engine bay fuses are ok. Are the fuse box behind the glove compartment also related? The cluster indicator turns on when the headlight switch is activated for fog
The fuse box under the dash only shows stop lights and parking lights. Do you have power to the relay? I just took the relay from the horn and plugged it in the fog light spot until I buy a new one. Try switching them around in case yours isn't working. Good luck

Reactions: Zorba
So, I have a '04, but it sure doesn't appear that I have them prewired. I have a slot in my fuse relay for it, but nothing on my multi-switch. Does this make it a no-go, or just a tough go. I have a free space for a rocker switch next to my O/D one?