Installing front lower bump stops on HP Dana 30

Akitadog

Willy's Edition
Supporting Member
Been working on a XJ Dana 30 for my TJ and want to install lower bump stops. I've found instructions showing drilling holes in spring perch for a thru bolt and nut on the bottom. I've only seen it done on the side you have access to the underside pof the perch. Then goes on to say repeat the procedure for the other side.... Well the other spring perch has no access to the under side. How are you supposed to put a nut on the bolt under the perch? Can I just drill and tap the perch for the bolt and leave it at that? That method does not seem very durable or is it?

Yes, drilling and tapping the perch is the recommended method. A lot of manufacturers have it in the instructions to do it that way.

Reactions: DrDmoney
Been working on a XJ Dana 30 for my TJ and want to install lower bump stops. I've found instructions showing drilling holes in spring perch for a thru bolt and nut on the bottom. I've only seen it done on the side you have access to the underside pof the perch. Then goes on to say repeat the procedure for the other side.... Well the other spring perch has no access to the under side. How are you supposed to put a nut on the bolt under the perch? Can I just drill and tap the perch for the bolt and leave it at that? That method does not seem very durable or is it?
I agree drilling and tapping is the usual and recommended method, and would be far easier on the passenger side with little access.
I in fact used a thru bolt and nut on the pass side, and it was in fact a major pita getting that nut in there. Then later had to remove and reinstall said nut and longer bolt to add bumpstop. If I were starting over would definitely drill and tap.

Right, when folks install the spring mounts on a new install, they drill a hole in the center or the mount. And some guys will weld a nut in there.

Reactions: DrDmoney
Drill and tap is the easiest way for the passenger side - through bolting is the easiest way for driver side. Drilling and tapping both sides is the best option overall 😬

What I did is drill/tap the spring perch to accept a 1/2" bolt. Then I welded a round metal plate to a 3" long bolt that will serve as the flat surface for the bump stop to hit. The bump stop extension gets sandwiched between the flat plate and the spring perch by the bolt.

Like the idea of welding in a bolt. I just wasn't sure there seems to be maybe a 1/4 of material for the tapped threads.
Thx