Installing longer springs without spring compressors—What did I do wrong?

Ok, this seems obvious but I didn’t see it mentioned. Did you loosen the brake calipers from the axle and hang them out of the way so your brake lines are not binding and preventing axle drop?
Ι was constantly checking brake lines, so I did not "hurt" them. They were never even close to full flex, so I don't think this is the case. Thanks for the tip though

I just replaced my jounce bumpers and I have a 2.5” ome spring lift. Had to pull the springs, couldn’t squeeze them in between the coils. Took the tire off, just one at a time. Set the frame down on jack stands both sides. Pulled the top nut off the shock. Took the bolt out of the frame side control arm. Used a couple of pry bars to remove the spring. Did not pull the track bar. Then reverse order putting it back together.
Then did the other side.
Hey! Nice name! haha

So, you didn't loosen up CA arms bolts?

This has gotten ridiculous. I've never even had a helper while installing many lifts (Budweiser doesn't count) . I hope you never upgrade to 4" lift springs. :oops:
dude! I just asked so I could know which step I missed, so I don't have to use springs compressors again. I don't see what's wrong with my question.

I couldn't get my OME HD springs in either when I put my lift on a few years ago. Used a spring compressor also. Tightened and loosened in an alternating method like someone else previously said. No issues with it, All control arms were loosened when I began the project and then retorqued once I was done and the jeep was back on the ground.

dude! I just asked so I could know which step I missed, so I don't have to use springs compressors again. I don't see what's wrong with my question.
Do you have factory control arms? If so, the rubber bushing will only droop so much under gravity. Loosening the bolts will allow the arms to rotate and let the axle move further. Loosening and retorquing control arms bolts should be done any time you change ride height anyway, with the factory arms. The rubber needs to be in it's neutral state at ride height, or you'll ruin the bushings in no time

Reactions: taylormade73
Do you have factory control arms? If so, the rubber bushing will only droop so much under gravity. Loosening the bolts will allow the arms to rotate and let the axle move further. Loosening and retorquing control arms bolts should be done any time you change ride height anyway, with the factory arms. The rubber needs to be in it's neutral state at ride height, or you'll ruin the bushings in no time
I have factory arms, yes!

I didn't know that. Good tip. I am going to loosen evertything and retorque when I lower the TJ at its own weight!

Thanks man!

If you loosen the CA let's hope they are not frozen to the bushings and come out easily or else you will have even more work.

Nothing at all. It's the responses that are getting crazy. If loosening the control arms helped, how to Jeeps go offroad and flex? Do people loosen the control arms first? The rubber bushing has nothing to do with it.
p.s. Just remove both axles first and the springs will go in without issues, but ONLY if you install the springs first.Don't forget the front driveshaft has to be removed too. I thought I was on WF for a minute. :rolleyes:

jeep control arms front.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: P man
Got any pics to back that up? How about the non existent border crisis pics too?

Nothing at all. It's the responses that are getting crazy. If loosening the control arms helped, how to Jeeps go offroad and flex? Do people loosen the control arms first? The rubber bushing has nothing to do with it.
p.s. Just remove both axles first and the springs will go in without issues, but ONLY if you install the springs first.Don't forget the front driveshaft has to be removed too. I thought I was on WF for a minute. :rolleyes:

View attachment 250504
The rubber joint Will only flex so far with nothing more than the weight of the axle on them. This is especially true on arms with rubber on both ends. When off-road there is a lot more weight in play.

The rubber joint Will only flex so far with nothing more than the weight of the axle on them. This is especially true on arms with rubber on both ends. When off-road there is a lot more weight in play.
my rubber joints flex enough that its other limiting factors that get in the way when removing springs.

Reactions: TheBoogieman
my rubber joints flex enough that its other limiting factors that get in the way when removing springs.
Maybe it will help him maybe not. It’s worth a try as he seems to have disconnected everything else. I and many others have swapped out the very long 4”+ springs without compressors so something isn’t right here.

Reactions: P man

View attachment 250504
Remove the front driveshaft for just 2" springs?

Once again, you are wrong.
I could care less if I’m right or wrong. Just giving suggestions to the guy to help him get his springs in. It shouldn’t be as difficult as needing spring compressors. If you eliminate any bind then even long 4” springs can be installed with very little effort. Hope he gets them installed regardless of the method.

So many answers, I am almost more confused now. haha
Just to clarify. Didn’t loosen any control arm bolts, just removed the frame side control arm bolt which allowed the axle to droop a bit more. @boogieman is spot on loosening the bolts does nothing, removing one allows more drop.

I swapped out my 933/942 springs for 932/941 springs today and didn’t have any issues. The 933s did take effort to install last year but I think that was because I left the stock track bar in place. I imagine that if the track bar is still stock, disconnecting at the axle end would allow the axle to drop far enough.

View attachment 250931View attachment 250932