Installing Rubicon rocker guards on a TJ / LJ that didn't come with them

MountaineerTom

LJ Enthusiast, Retired USAF Weapons Loader
Supporting Member
Ride of the Month Winner
In early 2018, I got some used Rubicon Rockers to install on my LJ. I cleaned them up, installed new 3M tape to the rubber seals and a couple coats of Rustoleum Textured black spray paint and they looked good as new. Just had to buy some nutserts, an "S" size drill bit and a tool to install the rivet-nuts. You can make a tool from grade 8 hardware, but if you dont' mind spending money on this tool from Tacklife, you'll find that it is so easy to use and quick. The price has gone up about $10 since I bought mine though. I set one whole side of the Jeep with nutserts with this in the time it took me to set 1 skid plate nutsert using the home-made tool from hardware. The skid plate nutserts are quite a bit bigger though.

I know there are better rockers/sliders out there, but I don't need that much better. : ) Honestly, I probably don't even need these, but I like them.

I tested one out on a piece of sheet metal I had left over from cutting holes in the hood for my Poison Spyder hood louver installation. I wanted to make sure I was happy with how it worked before I drilled holes in the side of the tub.

- Hold the rockers up in place with a jack or clamp them on with some c-clamps. Hex shaped holes are already in the bottom of the tub, so line the rockers up with those.
- Mark the sides of the tub where you need to drill holes.
- Drill your holes. An S size drill bit = .348. An 11/32 bit = .3438, so you can use it. It might be a tighter fit though. You don't want the nutsert to be to loose though.
- Add some touch up pain to the holes.
- Set your nutserts. Thread the nutsert fully onto the end of the tool, so it gets the maximum grip on the nutsert.
- Install the rockers. My used rockers came with the factory screws to install them, which were M6's. If you don't have the hardware, just match the nutsert size to the hardware you want to use, and use the appropriate sized drill bit.

On a side note, a month or so ago, I got rid of the diamond plate Rubicon Rockers and replaced them with the MOPAR rock rails. They mounted up to the same nutserts the Rubicon Rockers use.

M6 rivet-nuts for the sides

M6 Hex Body rivet-nuts for the bottom

Size "S" drill bit Couldn't find one of these locally.

Tacklife 14" Hand Rivet Nut Setter Kit

M6 side nutserts.jpgM6 half-hex nutserts for bottom.jpg

IMG_5894.JPG

1.JPG

2.JPG

Job well done! I really like the look of the factory Rubicon rocker guards.

I also have one of those rivnut guns I bought almost 10 years ago and used once. Always a helpful tool to have around IMHO!

Reactions: MountaineerTom
Yeah, its not a high use tool, but I love that it's quick and easy. I used it on the rockers, a couple fender flare nutserts that were loose when I changed the flares out. I may put some nutserts in the floor so I can mount my tool box behind the rear seat when I have it installed.

Just thought I'd pass on that Harbor Freight sells a rivnut tool set. I believe it was about $16 after using a discount coupon. It's comes with the tool, different size nose pieces and an assortment of nuts. I've used it a number times and had no problems with it, but haven't tried larger than 1/4-20. You may want to order any specific size/type of nuts online from Amazon or elsewhere as there aren't very many included. They call it a "threaded insert riveter". For those who haven't used rivnuts before, they are great and provide an neat clean finished look. You can install them with a home made tool using a bolt, a couple nuts and a few washers (just search online or youtube) but the tool makes it easier.

I hate to revive this old thread, but I couldn't find any other how-to on installing rocker guards.

I would like to install a set of rocker guards on my TJ, but I cringe at the thought of drilling through the body. I would think that drilling holes would expose bare metal that would quickly corrode.

What process and type of product is used to prevent the bare metal form the newly drilled holes from rusting?

Thanks,

Rob

In early 2018, I got some used Rubicon Rockers to install on my LJ. I cleaned them up, installed new 3M tape to the rubber seals and a couple coats of Rustoleum Textured black spray paint and they looked good as new. Just had to buy some nutserts, an "S" size drill bit and a tool to install the rivet-nuts. You can make a tool from grade 8 hardware, but if you dont' mind spending money on this tool from Tacklife, you'll find that it is so easy to use and quick. The price has gone up about $10 since I bought mine though. I set one whole side of the Jeep with nutserts with this in the time it took me to set 1 skid plate nutsert using the home-made tool from hardware. The skid plate nutserts are quite a bit bigger though.

I know there are better rockers/sliders out there, but I don't need that much better. : ) Honestly, I probably don't even need these, but I like them.

I tested one out on a piece of sheet metal I had left over from cutting holes in the hood for my Poison Spyder hood louver installation. I wanted to make sure I was happy with how it worked before I drilled holes in the side of the tub.

- Hold the rockers up in place with a jack or clamp them on with some c-clamps. Hex shaped holes are already in the bottom of the tub, so line the rockers up with those.
- Mark the sides of the tub where you need to drill holes.
- Drill your holes. An S size drill bit = .348. An 11/32 bit = .3438, so you can use it. It might be a tighter fit though. You don't want the nutsert to be to loose though.
- Add some touch up pain to the holes.
- Set your nutserts. Thread the nutsert fully onto the end of the tool, so it gets the maximum grip on the nutsert.
- Install the rockers. My used rockers came with the factory screws to install them, which were M6's. If you don't have the hardware, just match the nutsert size to the hardware you want to use, and use the appropriate sized drill bit.

On a side note, a month or so ago, I got rid of the diamond plate Rubicon Rockers and replaced them with the MOPAR rock rails. They mounted up to the same nutserts the Rubicon Rockers use.

M6 rivet-nuts for the sides

M6 Hex Body rivet-nuts for the bottom

Size "S" drill bit Couldn't find one of these locally.

Tacklife 14" Hand Rivet Nut Setter Kit

Super helpful. This is exactly what I was looking for. Thanks

I hate to revive this old thread, but I couldn't find any other how-to on installing rocker guards.

I would like to install a set of rocker guards on my TJ, but I cringe at the thought of drilling through the body. I would think that drilling holes would expose bare metal that would quickly corrode.

What process and type of product is used to prevent the bare metal form the newly drilled holes from rusting?

Thanks,

Rob

I had the same concern. What approach did you end up taking? I suppose that one could also apply Fluid Film and ignore the touch-up paint, since it's going to be covered up by the guards anyway.

I had the same concern. What approach did you end up taking? I suppose that one could also apply Fluid Film and ignore the touch-up paint, since it's going to be covered up by the guards anyway.
You should paint the exposed metal.

Would that work better than Fluid Film on the exposed metal? I'd be afraid that if my paint job were crummy, water could creep in unseen.
I've only see the advice to paint the exposed metal on the forum. It's just touching up the edges, then you insert a nutsert. Should be no problem. The metal is no longer exposed. If you want to add fluid film on top of that, it would simply be an extra layer of protection.

Bumping an old thread... I'm interested in finding a part # for the MOPAR rock rails. The search function on their site is useless.

EDIT: OK, I dug up some info. The MOPAR p/n is 82209219, but about the only place I can find that p/n is on this page. The install doc # is K6859471.

Last edited:
For what it's worth, I called the number on that site and the dealer is no longer associated with the website and can't seem to get it taken down. The part is discontinued and available nowhere they know of.

I put the Rubicon rockers on a 1999 Sport TJ and the torque channel ( bottom) had the factory hex holes. I recently picked up a 2001 Sport TJ and it does not have any holes drilled for the rocker. Strange.