Installing Rusty's Off-Road Products Radiator Skid

MountaineerTom

LJ Enthusiast, Retired USAF Weapons Loader
Supporting Member
Ride of the Month Winner
Rusty's Off-Road Products radiator skid installed. Pretty easy installation. Remove grille to frame body bolt and rubber bushing, put skid into place over exposed bushing, reinstall lower bushing and body bolt, drop supplied bolts down through hole in top of frame, through hole in bottom of frame and through skid plate. Washers on each end. I'd suggest adding a bigger washer under the top one. The hole is so big that the washer and bolt head fell through at one point. Once in place, torque bolts through frame to 50 ft. lbs. and radiator to grille bolt to factory specs (35 ft. lbs.). I added anti seize to the threads since I had it out, so I reduced the torque to 28 ft. lbs. Skid plate is listed as 1/8 inch thick. It also has a cut out for the radiator drain. There is almost the thickness of a pencil between the skid and the pitman arm. Not bad for $80 plus shipping.

IMG_6065.JPG IMG_6063.JPG IMG_6075.JPG IMG_6073.JPG IMG_6074.JPG IMG_6078.JPG IMG_6079.JPG IMG_6084.JPG IMG_6091.JPG

Interesting, I didn't know such a product existed! Actually seems like a good idea given the amount of stuff (mud) that could get flung up there.

Not bad for $80!

Reactions: MountaineerTom
That's what I thought. I was thinking more sticks of something that could get up there and do some damage.

It's a radiator from Advance Auto Parts. It's been on there a couple years. I wanted to get a MOPAR radiator but I was pressed for time. My OEM radiator split on top just a few days before we were going to take the Jeep on a trip to the Outer Banks or NC. I was working 12 hour shifts at the time and didn't have time to work on it, so I had a buddy of mine (more like a brother) change it out for me. I just happen to be one they had in stock. I'm going to eventually replace is with a MOPAR one.

Reactions: Igoo65
I put my fan through the radiator on a trail last April and had to go to the local Napa to get a new radiator. The radiator is fine, but the drain plug is the worst design I have ever seen. You would think these radiator manufacturers would put a 90 degree drain on all of them. Mine has a straight out design that has a screw-in plug that has a groove cut into it. So you either get a little dribble or a full on spray down of your Jeep! SMH! I have been looking for a 90 degree adapter plug and finally settled on a EZ Oil Drain valve with the right thread pitch. It works pretty good.

Rusty's Off-Road Products radiator skid installed. Pretty easy installation. Remove grille to frame body bolt and rubber bushing, put skid into place over exposed bushing, reinstall lower bushing and body bolt, drop supplied bolts down through hole in top of frame, through hole in bottom of frame and through skid plate. Washers on each end. I'd suggest adding a bigger washer under the top one. The hole is so big that the washer and bolt head fell through at one point. Once in place, torque bolts through frame to 50 ft. lbs. and radiator to grille bolt to factory specs (35 ft. lbs.). I added anti seize to the threads since I had it out, so I reduced the torque to 28 ft. lbs. Skid plate is listed as 1/8 inch thick. It also has a cut out for the radiator drain. There is almost the thickness of a pencil between the skid and the pitman arm. Not bad for $80 plus shipping.

View attachment 62209 View attachment 62210 View attachment 62211 View attachment 62212 View attachment 62213 View attachment 62214 View attachment 62215 View attachment 62216 View attachment 62217

Thanks for the detailed photos and instructions! I ordered this last week and it just arrived this AM. Given our snow forecast this week I think I have a nice project to keep me occupied :)

I have one of these in the garage, used on my tj for about 8yrs .Took it off when I traded the 99 off. Been sitting since, maybe I'll test fit on the lj. Mine came with a flag style bolt and nut to fit inside the frame.

I have it, and yes it will work with a body lift. There will be a gap between the radiator and the skid the height of the lift, but it won't affect function or ground clearance.

It also works with hydro assist if (and probably only if) a body lift is installed. My hydro assist lines run below the radiator and above the skid.

Got my skid in, fits with the BL no issue since it stays on the frame side of the lift. @MountaineerTom you weren't kidding with the pitman arm clearance, mine actually slightly scrapes the skid when turning. I emailed Rusty's about it, may be the different 03-06 steering box that has a slight angle difference for the pitman arm. Either way, happy to have the protection.

I just unboxed a Rusty's radiator skid and tried to line it up but it does not clear my pitman arm. I just got a new TRE at that end of the drag link and it may have just a little extra thread exposed. Looks like I'll have to make some modifications to get the skid to fit.

I'm a little disappointed. If you look closely at Rusty's site, all the pics of the skid have a dropped pitman arm. That's not happening to my Jeep. There are also pictures of an older version of the skid online that show a cutout in that location for clearance.

Anyway, notching the skid for clearance will be a small job. I just wish Rusty's had left more room for the pitman arm.

• Sad
Anyway, notching the skid for clearance will be a small job. I just wish Rusty's had left more room for the pitman arm.
So, there's a small difference between "test fit" and bolted up, and that small difference matters. It's three bolts so I put it in and torqued it down and it just barely fits.

Haven't done a test drive yet but worst case I may end up with a minor scratch like @Axeman.

So, there's a small difference between "test fit" and bolted up, and that small difference matters. It's three bolts so I put it in and torqued it down and it just barely fits.

Haven't done a test drive yet but worst case I may end up with a minor scratch like @Axeman.
That’s good. I was a little worried mine might hit, but ended up with about the thickness of a pencil between them like in the picture.