Installing stock air box (has anyone done it before?)

Irving

This week I finally found the air filter holder (cheap and local) my TJ was missing, the PO had installed a cheap cone air filter and I intend to remove it.

I know the part should fit in position because of the shape and the screw holes in the engine compartment but the AC lines are in the way and I have no idea if these should be different part number or custom made so they are not in the way (pictures).

My question is, am I still missing parts ? according to the TJ part lists I'm only missing the hose/tube (10) and the resonator/vent valve (11-13)...

Any recommendations if anyone has done this before is appreciated.

Anyone with experience previously removing AC lines??? or installing the stock filter?

Thanks!
20200627_124839.jpg
20200627_124900.jpg

Filtro de aire.PNG

I have 2002 TJ with 4.0L engine too. My AC compressor is on the driver side of the Jeep.
I'm not sure why your AC compressor is on the Passenger side and so high.

Here is my stock Air box set up.

20200630_172912.jpg
20190608_172038.jpg
20190507_191144.jpg

Reactions: Irving
Thanks for your pictures!, I guess it only rises up more questions about it :v, I'm intending to change the heater core so it might be the right time to temporally remove my ac system as I gather more information about my engine/AC configuration.

I remember the last time I replaced the timing belt I requested one according to the year/model/motor but it didn't fit, after I returned to autozone with the original belt they told me I needed an XJ model and it did fit! was that possibly caused because of my AC configuration???

You’re gonna need a new intake pipe the PO cut yours to put that shitty cone filter. I had the exact same on mine from the PO so I had to get the air box and the pipe then it should fit. The parts list you posted looks like the intake pipe for a 4 cylinder.

The pre 2000’s (I think thats the year) had the A/C compressor mounted on the passenger side like the OP’s. You either have aftermarket A/C lines or maybe the entire A/C system is aftermarket. Pain in the ass but you’ll probably need a new A/C line made to clear the stock airbox

The pre 2000’s (I think thats the year) had the A/C compressor mounted on the passenger side like the OP’s. You either have aftermarket A/C lines or maybe the entire A/C system is aftermarket. Pain in the ass but you’ll probably need a new A/C line made to clear the stock airbox
Thanks! that's what I was thinking (mine is a 98), the part list image is just a reference for the table next to it... the part numbers according to the motor type is 5303 0611 (ER0 column for 4.0 and EP0 for 2.5 engine).

Do you have images of your engine bay you could share?, i'll need to start looking for the original or new AC lines right away.

Here's some photos of my 99.

Here you can see the liquid line comes up the fender from down low, follows the inner fender around under the nozzle, and then follows the inner/outer fender flange to the outside of the airbox then to the inside of the PDC on it's way back to the evaporator.

IMG_20200701_113847.jpg

IMG_20200701_113804.jpg

Here you see the suction line coming out of the accummulator, transitioning to a flexible hose to wrap down under the air intake tube and then back up to hard line before dropping down into the compressor.

IMG_20200701_113817.jpg

Your compressor is in the same location as mine, but looks different as it has completely different line connections, and your discharge line runs right under where the airbox goes, while mine runs straight forward and then drops down toward the condenser connection.

Last edited:
Thanks! that's what I was thinking (mine is a 98), the part list image is just a reference for the table next to it... the part numbers according to the motor type is 5303 0611 (ER0 column for 4.0 and EP0 for 2.5 engine).

Do you have images of your engine bay you could share?, i'll need to start looking for the original or new AC lines right away.
my jeeps are 05 and 06 so have a completely different A/C system so pictures will do you no good

97-99 used the compressor on the top passenger side of the engine. Your compressor and lines are not original
as mentioned above. If I were to warrant a guess, I would say the reason the PO had the intake set up the way they did was because the AC would not work with the stock box in the way.