Installling steering kit and track bar

UglyDuck

TJ Enthusiast
Supporting Member
I have the Crown ZJ steering kit (now known as RT off road) and JKS adjustable track bar.
I’ve read through prior posts and am up to speed on most of the process.
Currently jeep is up on jackstands waiting for my new wheels to arrive (expected today). I figured this would be a good time to pull the components off and do the work.
So far the tie rod, drag link and steering stabilizer are off, all pretty straight forward there.
Question is, would there be any issue pulling the track bar now as well? Or reinstalling for that matter?
I’ve seen something about axle center issues, ratchet strap or steering wheel wiggle to re install.
How do I measure axle center?

Lot of questions at once.

Thanks in advance

- Jason

I would install the steering components and then remove the tracbar.
Do a visual or measure the positioning of the tires under the fenders as a point of reference for tracbar adjustment later.
Once you remove the tracbar; measure the centerline of the axle end tracbar bolt hole to the centerline of the frame end hole which will give a place to start from. Install the axle end of the JKS loosely, center the body over the differential (ratchet strap, pushing on the Jeep body OR...) and then adjust frame end until the bolt hole aligns.
Torque both bolts to recommended amount.
IIRC the JKS tracbar requires drilling out the factory frame mounting hole....

Last edited:
Reactions: Irun and UglyDuck
I would install the steering components and then remove the tracbar.
Do a visual or measure the positioning of the tires under the fenders as a point of reference for tracbar adjustment later.
Once you remove the tracbar; measure the centerline of the axle end tracbar bolt hole to the centerline of the frame end hole which will give a place to start from. Install the axle end of the JKS loosely, center the body over the differential (ratchet strap, pushing on the Jeep body OR...) and then adjust frame end until the bolt hole aligns.
Torque both bolts to recommended amount.
IIRC the JKS tracbar requires drilling out the factory frame mounting hole....
So here’s another question, the new track bar is adjustable. How do I determine the length to set it to? Match it to the existing fixed track bar?

You installed a 3" suspension lift and the stock track bar's length is only correct for the stock suspension height the factory installed. That means you shouldn't adjust your new adjustable trackbar length to that same length.

The trackbar is installed like the diagonal line on the letter Z. The frame is the top horizontal line, the axle is the bottom horizontal line, and the track bar is connected diagonally between them. Due to that (the top horizontal line pulling upward from it being lifted) a suspension lift will pull the rear axle toward the passenger side and the front axle toward the driver's side. Adjusting the track bar's length to make it longer will push the axle back toward the center.

With the Jeep on the ground and the track bar removed, the axle will tend to self-center. Jumping up & down on the bumper will help it to self-center better. Measuring/eyeballing it will tell you if when it's centered. If need be a ratchet strap can be used to pull the chassis over so it sits centered over the axle.

Once the chassis (tub/Jeep) is centered over the axle, adjust the track bar's length so its mounting bolt holes match those on the track bar mounts and bolt it in.

You installed a 3" suspension lift and the stock track bar's length is only correct for the stock suspension height the factory installed. That means you shouldn't adjust your new adjustable trackbar length to that same length.

The trackbar is installed like the diagonal line on the letter Z. The frame is the top horizontal line, the axle is the bottom horizontal line, and the track bar is connected diagonally between them. Due to that (the top horizontal line pulling upward from it being lifted) a suspension lift will pull the rear axle toward the passenger side and the front axle toward the driver's side. Adjusting the track bar's length to make it longer will push the axle back toward the center.

With the Jeep on the ground and the track bar removed, the axle will tend to self-center. Jumping up & down on the bumper will help it to self-center better. Measuring/eyeballing it will tell you if when it's centered. If need be a ratchet strap can be used to pull the chassis over so it sits centered over the axle.

Once the chassis (tub/Jeep) is centered over the axle, adjust the track bar's length so its mounting bolt holes match those on the track bar mounts and bolt it in.
Good info thanks Jerry.
Not sure if its worth mentioning but the fixed length track bar that’s installed was too short for the lift, so instead of previous owner installing an adjustable length; they drilled the mount to accommodate the track bar they had. I plan to go back to the original mounting hole, naturally.

I’ll still have to figure out where to take reference measurements for axle center, as well as strapping locations for the ratchet.

Steering kit came out nicely.
Today is new wheel day, then it can go back on the floor for track bar fun.
Some pics for enjoyment:

EDDFD721-B37A-4CF7-BBED-3956AD6FFEAE.jpeg

F4C98364-591D-48B8-A340-A96A8F222344.jpeg

B0EB01CD-1C43-420C-AF73-CE2BC87FFCFF.jpeg

8EA93A2E-3524-461B-83BE-A46606196709.jpeg

E9165FF5-4064-4968-87C8-C0F80F629E57.jpeg

31A5BD92-5CAD-4500-A7CA-10660CDD48B9.jpeg

B760425B-D3F4-44A0-AF7F-BC5C5409F6DB.jpeg

54B57091-1BA0-4ADD-B11B-F4867C17FDD8.jpeg

EE34A4CC-D6E3-4FEB-81A2-5152B32F1004.jpeg

Reactions: andy9743 and Irun