Instrument cluster light question

Stevireno

Supporting Member
Hi all, I am stumped and hoping for some help...

2000 sport... auto/6 cyl

I cant get the part time 4x4 light to work, nor the parking brake light....

I have check the parking brake ground switch under the center console and it is working correctly.

I have tested the instrument cluster by holding the odometer trip button when turning the car to on and I see most of the lights test correctly, but not the brake or part time 4x4 light.

I have removed the cluster a few times, swapping bulbs/connectors and it looks like the voltage isn't making it to the bulbs, as bulbs/connectors that worked on others didn't work on brake and 4x4 part time.

I've also tried removing and attaching the brake sensor under the master cylinder to see if that would help, and no luck. I think I even crossed the lines and retested and still nothing...

I know veteran drivers will tell me to leave the lights off... My son is a young driver and I want the warning lights there in case he forgets 4x4 is on or the hand brake is up....

Any ideas? Thanks all....

-Steve

Teach him to know to check them and recognize how they should be without needing lights or buzzers. There aren't warning lights for everything that he could do wrong in a vehicle. There were neither warning lights nor buzzers in vehicles before the lawyers got involved.

I wont help you make life choices or make recommendations on how to instruct a new driver, but I will tell you that the TJ gauge cluster is notorious for having poor grounding and/or bad connections within the traces.
Aside from swapping 'known good' bulbs to the affected locations, have you checked for voltage or continuity at those contacts?
In the past, I have 'fixed' gauge cluster issues by adding wires and soldering them to replace broken traces (though not on a TJ).

Reactions: Mac57
I wont help you make life choices or make recommendations on how to instruct a new driver, but I will tell you that the TJ gauge cluster is notorious for having poor grounding and/or bad connections within the traces.
Aside from swapping 'known good' bulbs to the affected locations, have you checked for voltage or continuity at those contacts?
In the past, I have 'fixed' gauge cluster issues by adding wires and soldering them to replace broken traces (though not on a TJ).

Thanks Dan, I've done the same with 1960s model Mustangs with terrible clusters... I'll hunt around for a schematic for the cluster...

Thanks

-Steve

Teach him to know to check them and recognize how they should be without needing lights or buzzers. There aren't warning lights for everything that he could do wrong in a vehicle. There were neither warning lights nor buzzers in vehicles before the lawyers got involved.

Please. Can someone help....

I just want these 2 lights to work, I like things to work as they should, Thanks for your advice on how to raise my kids....

I cant believe the first response is no help at all and exactly what i was hoping wouldn't happen....

Brake light - there is a wire that runs to the lever you lift up on (will need to remove the console to see it). Very common for that to be disconnected if the console has been out. Mine was when I bought the Jeep, and it was a simple fix.

4x4 light - possibly a similar issue — but you'll need to get the factory service manual for your year and trace the wires.

It's also possible the light and burnt out. It happens. You could open the gauge cluster and swap a few lights to see if that gets them working.

And yeah.. I've stopped coming on here a lot because of the reactions and comments you got. This used to be a friendly place..

Brake light - there is a wire that runs to the lever you lift up on (will need to remove the console to see it). Very common for that to be disconnected if the console has been out. Mine was when I bought the Jeep, and it was a simple fix.

4x4 light - possibly a similar issue — but you'll need to get the factory service manual for your year and trace the wires.

It's also possible the light and burnt out. It happens. You could open the gauge cluster and swap a few lights to see if that gets them working.

And yeah.. I've stopped coming on here a lot because of the reactions and comments you got. This used to be a friendly place..

Thanks man... I'll trace the lines and see if there is a fault. I've seen so many comments "why would you want that?" for every conceivable topic.... I don't think people have to explain their reasons for making a car more safe....

Thanks again for your input!

-Steve

Reactions: MountaineerTom
Not sure if you know but the Factory Service Manuals are available in the TJ Resources section of this forum, 4th Sticky thread. The FSM PDF for your 2000 is out of order, find it down near the bottom. Section 8 will provide you with testing and diagnostic procedures to assist you in tracking down whats going on with your indicator lights. Good luck and let us know what you find.

There is also a switch on the transfer case for the 4x4 light. It could possibly be bad.

Not sure if you know but the Factory Service Manuals are available in the TJ Resources section of this forum, 4th Sticky thread. The FSM PDF for your 2000 is out of order, find it down near the bottom. Section 8 will provide you with testing and diagnostic procedures to assist you in tracking down whats going on with your indicator lights. Good luck and let us know what you find.

Thanks, this was a big help. I pulled the wiring to the transfer case switch and crossed the lines with alligator clips and bingo, light came on. So, looks like I have a bad transfer switch. The wiring harness also shows how the brake light is activated when grounded, so I'm tracking that down now.

Thanks again... This is what the web should be like....