Instrument cluster visibility

jamespwsullivan

MJ, TJ, XJ (R.I.P.)
Supporting Member
I have trouble seeing the instruments in my TJL during the day when my lights are not on. I know that window tint (PO) is too dark and I'm going to take care of that, but I think I'll still have trouble seeing the gauges and needle locations. Has anyone used an overlay - probably black on white - and would recommend it?

I did a search but didn't find anything obviously related to my question, so that means someone will post a slink to a thread almost immediately!
Thanks

I'm thinking I will add LED lighting as well.

Hmm, have you considered swapping out the backlights for LEDs? I've never done it myself, but I've seen quite a few DIY vids such as this one:

Definitely convert them to LEDs. I did the entire interior of mine with LEDs and it’s a night and day difference!

Definitely convert them to LEDs. I did the entire interior of mine with LEDs and it’s a night and day difference!
When I linked the vid, I checked out the items needed and it's just two packs of LEDs for about 6 bucks a pop, so I'll probably end up doing this as well. It's not an upgrade I need, but it looks like a fun little project that will be dirt cheap and look nice.

Reactions: Chris
I have trouble seeing the instruments in my TJL during the day when my lights are not on. I know that window tint (PO) is too dark and I'm going to take care of that, but I think I'll still have trouble seeing the gauges and needle locations.
Take care of that excessive window tint and the problem will go away. I'm an old guy but I have absolutely no issues reading my gauges.

Reactions: Red Dog
When I linked the vid, I checked out the items needed and it's just two packs of LEDs for about 6 bucks a pop, so I'll probably end up doing this as well. It's not an upgrade I need, but it looks like a fun little project that will be dirt cheap and look nice.

Mine turned out really nice. It gives it more of a modern feel.

@Jerry Bransford - I agree that's the first thing to do. Researching how to remove that tint leads me to believe that it's best done when it's a bit warmer, so that's why I'm waiting. no heat in the garage. Still not 100% convinced that will resolve the problem. There still is a lot of bright light coming in through the windshield, and that's the direction I'm looking. No tint on the window will provide more light from the side, but if there is still a significant amount of glare (front) I'll have to investigate other options.
@Chris @Equilibrium31 - yes to LEDs, but they're not on when my lights are not on. If there is an easy way to set up the dash lights to be on with the key, I'd like to know what it is.

Thanks. Still open to hearing from anyone who has installed an overlay.

If you don't have some sort of unusual vision problem removing the tint will fix the problem. If an old guy has no problem reading his instruments in tough lighting conditions, those with younger eyes should not either. :)

I'll be 62 this year, but I must have inhumanly good night vision since I have to turn my OEM instrument cluster lights way down to be comfortable at night. I have a feeling that LED's, even if turned down nearly all the way, would be much too bright for me. As a side note, I also have no problem seeing well down the road with my OEM headlights, so I am definitely in the minority on this forum.

As for overlays, you might check out this guy: https://jeepwhitegauges.com/. He offers several options. No idea about quality, but it may be worth looking at.

@Neal Yeah, that's the one I've seen that looks the most complete. It's a fairly small investment and I think i could tell something from the first one I pulled off the backing. going to take @Jerry Bransford 's advice and get rid of the tint first.
Thanks to everyone.

I'll be turning 67 later this year. I started wearing glasses when I was 26 and was legally required to use them for driving. I felt my eyesight getting BETTER over the last few years and at the end of 2018, after the proper testing, I had the requirement removed from my licence. I've now driven without glasses for a month and it seems a bit weird.

As for the dash lights in my LJ, I have no problem with seeing them. I don't think I'd want them to be any brighter.

Last edited:
I'll be 62 this year, but I must have inhumanly good night vision since I have to turn my OEM instrument cluster lights way down to be comfortable at night. I have a feeling that LED's, even if turned down nearly all the way, would be much too bright for me.
Same here. I've been in one TJ with LED bulbs in the dash and even turned down all the way they were as bright as the OE lights are at full brightness... i.e. way too bright for me. I value my night vision way too much to ever install dash lighting I couldn't turn way down like many LED dash lights cannot be. I can't even convince my son that having his dash lights on full brightness harms his ability to see out at night... he somehow believes bright dash lights shining in his eyes helps his night vision. My wife thinks the same way... she says if she turns her dashlights down at night she also says can't see outside as well. Maybe it's in her and my son's genes, I duno. :roto2lol::roto2palm:

Reactions: Neal
@Neal Yeah, that's the one I've seen that looks the most complete. It's a fairly small investment and I think i could tell something from the first one I pulled off the backing. going to take @Jerry Bransford 's advice and get rid of the tint first.
Thanks to everyone.
I was surprised to see that they were only $24, which is definitely very reasonable.

I also had a good chuckle at the "FLAMES!" version.
1547504212481.png