Insurance for highly modified jeeps

Rescue6

TJ Addict
Supporting Member
I’ve been thinking about my insurance needs lately as we have had some serious hail damage to our cars, trailers and home this year. I’m fully insured thankfully however I am wanting to get a policy that will take into account all the modifications done to the jeep and even the ones sitting in the shop waiting for install. I’ve currently got full coverage and an additional rider for a set amount but I know I’ve got more than that invested however my current company won’t let me add anymore. Who are you guys using. I’ve heard about agreed value policy’s for shore cars etc but they are very limiting on how you use drive and store the vehicles. What are our options as I know a lot of us have very modified jeeps worth way more than book value.

I don't have any experience, per se, here, but you might want to look at collector car insurance from a company like haggerty. You might also investigate if there is a company that insures race cars.

I have a feeling it will be expensive.

State Farm has always covered my items. They replaced a grill guard for me when I was in college and side swiped a parked car. Hail from 2016 on the jeep and they covered my soft top, and fog lights. I just mentioned what I wanted covered to the adjuster both times and they wrote it down no questions asked, State Farm cut me a check both times.

collector car insurance if you have a garage and a different daily driver is very inexpensive in addition you can get stated value coverage. for three cars we pay about $800 a year
my collector car insurance does not want to put the jeep under it as they say are all too often used offroad and they don't want to cover that.

Reactions: Rescue6
I’ve been thinking about my insurance needs lately as we have had some serious hail damage to our cars, trailers and home this year. I’m fully insured thankfully however I am wanting to get a policy that will take into account all the modifications done to the jeep and even the ones sitting in the shop waiting for install. I’ve currently got full coverage and an additional rider for a set amount but I know I’ve got more than that invested however my current company won’t let me add anymore. Who are you guys using. I’ve heard about agreed value policy’s for shore cars etc but they are very limiting on how you use drive and store the vehicles. What are our options as I know a lot of us have very modified jeeps worth way more than book value.
Insurance companies won't touch anything over a 4" lift. You can itemize all the add ons with pricing. If the Jeep is stolen, you'll get estimated blue book on mileage. And if your lucky,a prorated amount on you're aftermarket items. In California, you'll pay close or more than double of regular full coverage.

I have seen a jeep that had an engine fire (jku) was totaled. He sent it to the off road shop to have the outboard coil overs and axles (dana 60s) removed and replaced with cheap factory ones. Because the insurance would not pay for them......

just because an agent says you are covered doesn't make it true.

READ your policy CAREFULLY.
Just because one guy with xxx insurance got their jeeps parts covered doesn't mean that you will.

Problem is I’ve got over $25000 just in aftermarket parts invested and I can only add a 10k rider on top of the regular full coverage for aftermarket parts and accessories. Seems I should be able to cover all of them since I have all receipts. Hell I’ve got almost 15k in just the two axles and transfer case.

I have Sate Farm and they will do a stated value policy. I had my Scrambler insured for $30k and a Toyota X-Runner for 6k over book to cover some add ons . Plus I have never owned a stock motorcycle.It barely adds anything to the cost .

Reactions: Rescue6
Insurance companies won't touch anything over a 4" lift. You can itemize all the add ons with pricing. If the Jeep is stolen, you'll get estimated blue book on mileage. And if your lucky,a prorated amount on you're aftermarket items. In California, you'll pay close or more than double of regular full coverage.

Not true. I have a 2015 F 150 with a 6 inch lift......insured by Geico. I also have full coverage on my 05 TJ. With ALL of the aftermarket items covered, as long as Geico knows about them. Right now, in addition to the vehicle insurance, I have $12,000 worth of aftermarket items insured. All I have to do is identify the item and the price. The additional coverage costs me an additional $300.00 per YEAR. I have listed as accessories:

1545182230155.png

I have geico also. They said mods are not covered, but they will insure up to 6 inch lift, no more. I asked before lifting my duramax and my 15 jkur and my lj. I didn't want the jeeps that high but I did want a 7" on the duramax. Had to go with a different lift.

Would having the vehicle appraised make a difference? You know, so if your Jeep was stolen, you'd have an appraisal to show to the insurance when they tried to write you a check for some stupid low amount.

I’ve had it appraised recently but may do it again one the atlas, PRP Seats and new paint job are complete. I’ve called a few more companies so I think I’ll get it handled. I’ve got an alarm with gps tracking and a hidden kill switch but you just never know these days

Just a word of warning. You can get an appraisal and the insurance will still only give you what a standard jeep goes for UNLESS you get it in writing for appraisal value.

Insurance agents are no better than used car salesmen. (I don't mean that literally just emphasizing a point) Get it in writing. Have it listed in your policy. If it is not clearly in writing its not there. Same goes for aftermarket modifications. Make sure it is spelled out in the policy.

You do not want to look for it after an incident.

Reactions: B252 and Rescue6