Insurance question

SD2001TJ

I am getting removed from full coverage through Geico on my auto policy as the modification cost exceeds the KBB value of my Jeep. I am allowed to continue but only as liability.

State Farm quoted me a reasonable full coverage policy. They stayed I would only need the receipts for my modification which I would get paid out according to the adjuster if anything were to happen. They stated they cover off roading, just not racing events.

Does anyone have full coverage with off road insurance through a company?

thanks for any info.

Hey I wanted to give an update on insurance as this may help someone else.

I was paying $540 a year for full coverage through State Farm for my 2001 TJ. They told me to keep receipts of all work but would not document it themselves. If totaled they would most likely give me KBB around 6-8k.

I did my research and went with Hagerty. I had two options

Agreed value - 25k
Spare parts - 1500
60 mile towing per tow
$0 deductible
4000 miles per year

Covers off road (logging roads and state forest roads) this is documented in my paperwork.

Premium was $1139 for me and wife per year.

If I did not add my wife, the premium would be $932.

Reactions: JMT and Chris
Also, if they do total my vehicle for any reason, I get a salvage title and keep the Jeep with no additional cost (no buyback, it’s built into the insurance).

Reactions: JMT
I was just looking at adding my LJR to my existing Hagerty policy. I was coming in around $1000 a year as well for similar coverage.

Interesting....I have full coverage insurance thru Ameriprise Insurance (COSTCO) My Home, 2021 Tesla Model 3, 2013 MB GLK250 and 2013 VW Beetle Turbo and my 1997 Jeep Wrangler TJ Sport. The jeep cost me $472.00 per year minimum coverage. They asked that I get a Certified Mechanic to complete inspection and to send in 4 pictures of the Jeep, front back, and sides in order to get full coverage. I just called them the about the status of my request and since it has a 3 inch lift, they are now telling me that I CANNOT keep the Jeep on my policy coverage even with minumum coverage or the COMPLETE Policy, including all of my cars will cancel....... they are telling me that I need to remove it in the next 60 days and find alternative insurance for it...... had I said 2in lift then there would not have been any issues.......I do have Haggertys classic car for my 1973 VW Bug so probably gonna go that route..... just an FYI for others.....

Hagerty won't insure my LJ as it would be used "off road".

Who else is the go to for a policy?

Hagerty won't insure my LJ as it would be used "off road".

Who else is the go to for a policy?
I literally just added my LJR to my Hagerty policy yesterday with a $30,000.00 Agreed value, 5,000 Miles a year and covers offroad use.

I literally just added my LJR to my Hagerty policy yesterday with a $30,000.00 Agreed value, 5,000 Miles a year and covers offroad use.

Just got off the phone and he said they are not doing this and below just showed up. Said he could insure it but it doesn't cover any off payment damage.

Said forest roads, etc.. are not covered, even gravel roads. I told them you were recommended on the Jeep forums and yet you can't insure for this coverage?

Do you have a contact there you could PM me info on and I'll call them?

Screen Shot 2021-07-15 at 3.02.02 PM.png

Is your LJR garaged? I tried to insure full coverage on my CJ5 with them and that was a breaking point for them, since I don't have a garage to put it in.

Just got off the phone and he said they are not doing this and below just showed up. Said he could insure it but it doesn't cover any off payment damage.

Said forest roads, etc.. are not covered, even gravel roads. I told them you were recommended on the Jeep forums and yet you can't insure for this coverage?

Do you have a contact there you could PM me info on and I'll call them?

View attachment 265531
Well I may end up with that same email then. They called yesterday to verify the upgrades and how the jeep would be used. I paid but I don't think it was done processing in there system yet. I did get an email with new insurance cards though.

Called my allstate agent who said he would use Hagerty for Agreed value policy and was going to call his guy to see if he got the same answer.

we shall see!

Reactions: MaximusLJR06
I just added my TJ to my Haggerty Policy which already has my Classic VW Bug. I set it up with an Agreed value of $10,000 through them and also added "Vehicle Under Construction" which ads 10% quaterly for a year to the agreed value since I will no doubt continue to upgrade my TJ over the next year. Cost was additional $19.00 for the year. I also have the "Charished Salvage Title" which simply means that if the TJ is ever totaled, the jeep is returned to me without any additional cost to me. Again, addition cost was minimal. Keep in mind that I have 2 vehicles so I also get a multi Collector car discount. I did a search for the word "Off Road" but could not find anything that said "Off Road" damages was excluded but thats not to say there is some legal wording that says this but again, I did not find it in my policy. I did see something that said that I have to maintain another vehicle as my main form of commuting for my classic car insurance to be valid which makes perfect sense to me. Keep in mind that this TJ is NOT my Daily Driver. At most I drive it 3x a week to work. I have other vehicles that I consider my daily drivers to include my Motor cycle so not an issue to me. My biggest concern was driving my TJ with liability only thru Ameriprise Auto Insurance, then getting into an accident and my TJ getting totaled and being offered $6K for it essentially getting little to nothing for my TJ....... keep in mind with the 3 inch lift, Amerprise told me they would drop my minimum liability coverage AND full coverage for ALL of my other vehicles, simply because the TJ had a lift higher then 2 inches....... I have no doubt that the Classic Car Insurance has limitations as compared to insuring a Daily Driver but fo my sittuation, along with the reduced cost and getting a guaranteed "Agreed Value" compared to COSTCO Ameriprise Insurance, I think Haggerty is going to work for me.

Interesting......didnt see it in the policy but I did see this is there advertisements on the Web.

"Because we provide low-cost, Guaranteed Value® coverage, we are not able to provide coverage for certain vehicles due to how they are used and the increased risk associated."
  • Off-road or recreational vehicles
Keeping in mind that with standard Liability, it wouldnt cover the TJ Off Road anyway...... unless your buddy ran into you while offroading and his insurance paid out ?

• Haha
Reactions: JMT
Just got off phone with my Allstate guy.

Hagerty told him the same thing, if it's a new policy no dice. If you have existing policies or history of spend then they might work with you.

That said, he was able to get it taken care of under allstate's coverage and added a rider to cover an additional $15k of custom or add on components. Also as long as the vehicle is titled and registered for on road use - I'm covered off the pavement with the exception of races or competitive use.

Reactions: MaximusLJR06
Just got off phone with my Allstate guy.

Hagerty told him the same thing, if it's a new policy no dice. If you have existing policies or history of spend then they might work with you.

That said, he was able to get it taken care of under allstate's coverage and added a rider to cover an additional $15k of custom or add on components. Also as long as the vehicle is titled and registered for on road use - I'm covered off the pavement with the exception of races or competitive use.
I have an existing policy with Hagerty so that might have been the difference. My new insurance is starting today with them.

Reactions: csaxj3
My wife works for Hagerty. She is their Jeep SME. My LJR is insured for a little over $600 a year. If anyone wants some more details, let me know and I will send you her contact info.

Whatever you do, make sure you get cherished salvage.

Reactions: xXDavidCXx
My wife works for Hagerty. She is their Jeep SME. My LJR is insured for a little over $600 a year. If anyone wants some more details, let me know and I will send you her contact info.

Whatever you do, make sure you get cherished salvage.
Calling to add this to mine today

Interesting......didnt see it in the policy but I did see this is there advertisements on the Web.

"Because we provide low-cost, Guaranteed Value® coverage, we are not able to provide coverage for certain vehicles due to how they are used and the increased risk associated."
  • Off-road or recreational vehicles
Keeping in mind that with standard Liability, it wouldnt cover the TJ Off Road anyway...... unless your buddy ran into you while offroading and his insurance paid out ?
That would depend on his insurance but I'd imagine that most policies have on-road coverage only built into them. You could always take the buddy on Judge Judy!