Interesting Bumpers

Zacharias

I bought my 2000 sahara 4.0 this summer off craigslist and noticed that it came with a unique set of bumpers on it and I was wondering if you guys could help me figure out what these pegs are used for. I have included 2 pictures and I assume they are for some sort of overhead rack, but can't find anything else online. They are located on all four corners of the Jeep, 2 on each bumper, about 2.5" wide and 7'' tall. Anything helps!

IMG_3387.JPG
IMG_3389.JPG

That is interesting...though I cannot imagine a rack going that far forward on the front bumper.

Is there any sort of serial number on either bumper you might be able to Google? Probably would have to remove the bumper to look on the inside.

Or they could be just some kind of fabricated bumper corner guards.

I'm thinking removable full body rack or cage.

Flag holders? Fishing pole holders?

Can you fit beer cans in em? :D

I think you're right on all of the above. I've seen a few jeeps for sale over the years wear the PO have advertised and shown photos of the jeep with fishing poles attached to the front bumper. The handles just slide right in. Most of these were in beach areas (Florida, SC, Georgia, etc.). Guys would just drive down to the waters edge and start fishing.

The full length storage rack makes sense too. Very convenient for camping.

The one on the rear bumper could be some sort of custom flag mount?

Other than that, I go with fishing pull mounts.

I would see if you could contact the person you bought the jeep from and ask them. They seem strong enough to be used for your own add ons. The rear one you could use to customize your own spare tire swing mount or drill and bolt on a storage rack. Just my two cents.

I posted on another board to see if they got any idea. I will post their replies.

So far:

Pipe Bombs

Unconventional mall crawler shopping cart fender protectors

Jeeper bar stools

PO had four bored wives

base system that is part of an overhead rack

"I've seen them on jeeps before but they were usually on the front and had a tow strap or winch cable ran back and forth around them. I just assumed it was part of the "jeep" thing I wouldn't have understood. "

Some more....

Armor All dispensers. They might be empty.

2.5" would make for a heavy ass rack me thinks.

Looks like some ugly ill thought out corner protection.

They are the mount points for the Jeep® Helicopter kit. The kit also includes an extension band to run the rotor off the rear driveshaft (includes a pulley system which is mounted it the B pillar for the band to access the rotor). The tail rotor mechanism (arm and stabilizers) mount to the spare tire mount (spare tire is removed and not needed because, well, you're flying and not driving). The rear rotor is also controlled by the same aforementioned pulley system, but separately geared to operate independently of the lift rotor.

Guy in a jeep club I used to belong to had them on his YJ. He said they were corner savers.

Gin pole mount?

The Rs = Rubicon Rollover Recovery Ready. Since many Jeeps are are like dogs in that they are capable of instantly flopping into submission

The "R" stands for Runck Bumpers...although i have never seen just the end caps on a factory bumper.A friend of mine bought Runck Bumpers a few years ago and still makes them out around Richmond, IN. They are popular in this area for corner protection from trees. I'll send this to my friend and see what he says...

You can also slip the loop of a strap around them for a quick recovery. I wouldn't recommend jerking on them, though.

Reactions: Chris