Interesting find on the Harbor Freight winches

HYRYSC

TJ Enthusiast
I recently purchased a Harbor Fright winch because I was getting tired of waiting for the Smittybilt that I ordered to ship. Found a good deal on the new 6 ton version with a wireless remote and synthetic cable for under $500 so figured that I could use that for a few months (has a 3 month no questions asked return policy) until they decide to send the Smittybilt. Heck, might even keep the Apex if its good.

Was chatting with a friend about it and telling him that it looked good, but that looks can be deceiving, then he asked me if I had ever watched Matts Offroad Recovery on Youtube. I had not, so he sent me a video.

This guy is in the business of offroad recovery and rocks a Harbor Fright winch on his XJ?! Definitely had my attention. Then I came across this video which made me think that I might just keep the Apex and send the Smittybilt back when and if they ship.

I sure hope that I never get into any of the situations that this guy has to rescue people from. Geez!😱

Just figured that I would share.

Reactions: steelhd
There's a lot of things I would run, but a Harbor Freight winch is not something I would ever consider in a million years. Not unless it was just for the purpose of being bumper jewelry ;)

Reactions: HYRYSC
There's a lot of things I would run, but a Harbor Freight winch is not something I would ever consider in a million years. Not unless it was just for the purpose of being bumper jewelry ;)

I have had a winch on every 4x4 vehicle that I have owned (5) 2 superwinches and 2 smittybilts and now a harbor fright, only ever used it to pull bushes or stumps from my yard or to help someone else out, never needed one myself. Maybe that means that I am not wheeling hard enough🤔

I have had a winch on every 4x4 vehicle that I have owned (5) 2 superwinches and 2 smittybilts and now a harbor fright, only ever used it to pull bushes or stumps from my yard or to help someone else out, never needed one myself. Maybe that means that I am not wheeling hard enough🤔

I'm not basing it off my own personal experience in all fairness, but just someone I know well. He's managed to go through 5 Harbor Freight winches in a year, and said he continues to go through them. He said that the ONLY reason he continues to use them is because he bought the extended warranty, so they keep giving him new winches each time one breaks. He said when the warranty expires, he'll never buy one again.

This echoes things I've heard from others too. Usually I'm skeptical of things I hear repeated by others on the internet, but being as though I know that one guy personally, that's the only reason I am so firm on my stance.

But hey, if it works for you, that's ultimately all that matters (y)

I shop at Harbor Freight frequently for other stuff.

I'm not basing it off my own personal experience in all fairness, but just someone I know well. He's managed to go through 5 Harbor Freight winches in a year, and said he continues to go through them. He said that the ONLY reason he continues to use them is because he bought the extended warranty, so they keep giving him new winches each time one breaks. He said when the warranty expires, he'll never buy one again.

This echoes things I've heard from others too. Usually I'm skeptical of things I hear repeated by others on the internet, but being as though I know that one guy personally, that's the only reason I am so firm on my stance.

But hey, if it works for you, that's ultimately all that matters (y)

I shop at Harbor Freight frequently for other stuff.

Yes, same! I have never used one, but I don't even know anyone that has one. Mentioned it on my local jeep facebook group and some folks had them and sang the praises, but some folks have to try to justify their purchases so I take it with a grain of sale.

Going to head out to SMORR this weekend with my boys and try it out. Who knows, maybe I might even get in a situation where I might actually need it? Regardless, I have 90 days, I am going to give it a good workout and see what happens. Whatever happens I won't be disappointed because frankly I am not expecting much.

Reactions: Chris
Yes, same! I have never used one, but I don't even know anyone that has one. Mentioned it on my local jeep facebook group and some folks had them and sang the praises, but some folks have to try to justify their purchases so I take it with a grain of sale.

Going to head out to SMORR this weekend with my boys and try it out. Who knows, maybe I might even get in a situation where I might actually need it? Regardless, I have 90 days, I am going to give it a good workout and see what happens. Whatever happens I won't be disappointed because frankly I am not expecting much.

Yep, I would give it a good workout and see how it treats you! Maybe you'll get lucky (y)

I recently purchased a Harbor Fright winch because I was getting tired of waiting for the Smittybilt that I ordered to ship. Found a good deal on the new 6 ton version with a wireless remote and synthetic cable for under $500 so figured that I could use that for a few months (has a 3 month no questions asked return policy) until they decide to send the Smittybilt. Heck, might even keep the Apex if its good.

Was chatting with a friend about it and telling him that it looked good, but that looks can be deceiving, then he asked me if I had ever watched Matts Offroad Recovery on Youtube. I had not, so he sent me a video.

This guy is in the business of offroad recovery and rocks a Harbor Fright winch on his XJ?! Definitely had my attention. Then I came across this video which made me think that I might just keep the Apex and send the Smittybilt back when and if they ship.

I sure hope that I never get into any of the situations that this guy has to rescue people from. Geez!😱

Just figured that I would share.
I watch Matt and his crew all the time. He does amazing stuff with a Jeep.

Most of the stuff at Harbor Freight is cheap shit. I've bought plenty of stuff there, and now I only buy things that I know I can afford to break and it won't be a giant headache. It reminds me of places like Autozone with their lifetime warranty. Yeah they give you a new one, but I don't feel like replacing 3 alternators every year.

Reactions: HYRYSC
Most of the stuff at Harbor Freight is cheap shit. I've bought plenty of stuff there, and now I only buy things that I know I can afford to break and it won't be a giant headache. It reminds me of places like Autozone with their lifetime warranty. Yeah they give you a new one, but I don't feel like replacing 3 alternators every year.

I am going to give it a whirl since the Smittybilt was finally delivered yesterday, but I already have the Harbor Fright mounted so might as well give it a whirl this weekend before I take it off and return it.

Just the fact that Matt chose an XJ as a recovery vehicle as a profession tells me all I need to know about him.
He explained why once. At the time he could spend $25k or more on something else or buy like 10 Cherokee's and throw them out after being used up. I think 10 Cherokee's would last longer then one other vehicle. Now that XJ are spiking he will probably need a different route. I don't agree with everything he does (patagonia's/suspension setup/HF winch) but he has admitted to not liking the new tires a couple times.