Interior lights won’t turn off

John Addington

Tonight I got in the Jeep and the interior lights wouldn’t turn off after I started it and turned the lights on. I messed all around with the light switch including the door switch. I pulled the IOD fuse in the engine compartment and it turned off. I put the fuse back In and went for a drive. By the time I got to the end of my dirt road the lights came back on. I can’t get the lights off without removing the fuse. Anyone else have this issue? Any ideas where to start? Any videos on replacing the switch?

Reactions: EBW
The light condition killed my battery when I walked away for the night. Lol. I charged up the battery and I noticed the light went off when I closed the door and then flickered back on after a few seconds. I played around with the switch and I’m pretty sure it’s bad, my fog light switch is hit and miss. I ordered a new switch so we will see what happens. I have another issue and I’ll start a new thread on that.

Reactions: JMT
On my 2001 Wrangler Sport I had to shim up the passenger side door light switch/push button in order for my interior light to turn off and stay off. I bet your problem is when you shut your door that light button switch on the door is just not being pressed in enough to keep the light off!

Last edited:
Update, I had the blinker switch off while I was waiting for the new one to come in. I decided to put the old switch back in to mess around with the door switches as suggested to look at. The switches to me appear to be working. As I sat in the Jeep and closed the door I touched the wire harness at the back of the blinker switch and the lights came on leading me to believe it’s a bad wire connector. I’ve since then replaced the blinker switch and the fog switch now works normally. I looked at the wire connector and noticed it’s not in that great of shape. The plastic is coming apart. I took a tool and squeezed some of the pins closer. I put the connector back on and made sure it was in really good. So far it’s been fine. We will see what happens. That connector will need to be replaced at some point. Does anyone’s know if it’s the same part for a 2004 as a 2005 wrangler? I couldn’t find one specific for a 2004.

Hey, I just had the same problem and had just fix it. There's a knob on your left-hand side. That's the control of the interior lights.

I’ve turned that switch in all the different positions. It appears to working properly now after messing with the fuse. I’ll drive it over the next few days and update. Thanks
I had the same issue, thought it was after a few days of heavy rain. The inside dimner switch for panel cluster (circled in red) keeps the interior lights on if it is all the way forward. Thanks, now it solved.

And yes this is a right hand drive : )

E86005F1-DBB2-4EA8-8BF5-D635F274F28B.jpeg

On my 98 TJ (RHD) there is a headlight stalk that goes in to the dash. If you pull once u get side lights and pull full - you get headlights. If you turn clockwise it dims the dash. If you turn anti-clockwise and it clicks, it’ll turn the interior lights on, even if you are driving! Happy trails everyone