Interior Maintenance Restoration and Repair

The Classic Coat Sem 17373 worked well on door panels? Israel from SEM told me:

"Color Coat is design to work on plastic, vinyl carpet and velour. Classic Coat is only design for vinyl and leather. Plastic is not suitable substrate for Classic Coat. If you are refinishing plastic and vinyl, you would want to use Color Coat for you application."
I'm interested in hearing more from others on this one too. I'd never been told the same as you, but I recently used Classic Coat to spray vinyl and plastic in a different vehicle. I had mixed results. No doubt about it, when used on vinyl. You would swear that it was new vinyl. It flexes well, and bonds exceptionally well. With the plastics, hmm, not so much. Some areas bonded well, but there were some (seemingly random) areas that the paint could EASILY be scratched off with a fingernail, and peeled away. To put it even more into perspective, after I saw that, I assumed it was an area that I hadn't prepped well enough. So, I was able to remove every spec of the paint from the panel with very little effort using a light grit Scotch Brite pad.

For whatever it may be worth to anyone, I did a bit more digging around for Chrysler blacks, and it led me to putting together these results. I came across a few listings that mostly titled the color as, "Black" or "Black Crystal"(exterior), but the color mixing formulas and product numbers all led to Landau being used in the mix. Landau also showed up in other Chrysler blacks, but those were used for the exterior, so I left those out.

I'm just speculating, but I'm guessing it's because of the minimal base colors used in Landau Black, so as to not have certain undertones to compete with the final product.

Chrysler Black.png

That does look spot-on. The dash plastics in the side of the picture, are those the untouched original color?

Yes, the dash is the untouched part. my half doors I got were mist gray, so I used the SEM to paint them. I originally tried the Krylon Fusion, but it was too dark, so I went back with the SEM and it was perfect.

Reactions: bedhed
The Classic Coat Sem 17373 worked well on door panels? Israel from SEM told me:

"Color Coat is design to work on plastic, vinyl carpet and velour. Classic Coat is only design for vinyl and leather. Plastic is not suitable substrate for Classic Coat. If you are refinishing plastic and vinyl, you would want to use Color Coat for you application."

Yes it worked really well. I painted both the panels and the retainers for the upper half’s and it’s held up great. As a note, I originally tried the Krylon Fusion, but it was too dark, so I went back with the SEM and it was perfect. My dad used the Classic Coat on the console of his Dakota years ago and it held up well too.

Pretty much, yeah. As a just-in-case, when you call them up, tell them you're needing a different khaki than the 15833, and then tell them your'e needing 5545. I spoke with Annette when I called.

Thanks. I just spoke to Annette and ordered three cans so I should have some extra for future use.

Broke out the little Bissell extractor and went over the seats. An arguably half-assed job, but it'll do for now. Never would have imagined that using this thing would trash your forearms, but it does!

Still wet, so it looks blotchy.
IMG_20200306_152556917_HDR.jpg

All of the questionable filth from just the passenger seat.
IMG_20200306_152740915.jpg

• Wow
Reactions: MountaineerTom
Cleaned the steering wheel leather while I was at it.

Just Dawn dish soap and a wet sponge. Wiped it dry with the orange cloth, then went back over the leather with Meguiar's Leather Conditioner.

IMG_20200306_1711014500.png

IMG_20200306_1727567844.png

I'm not sure if any of your seat bushings have broken yet, but mine recently have. Oddly enough, they all broke within the same month. If you aren't already aware, these bushings are not a part that was serviced. Not that I'm aware of anyway.

As you can see in the parts diagram, these nylon bushings are not marked for the accompanying parts list.

Parts Diagram.png

In fact, the shaft/retainer that runs through the bushing and into the seat adjustment bracket is pressed in. Similar to a rivet, in that the inner tip of this shaft is pressed/expanded beyond the diameter of the hole that it was inserted through. So, it cannot be unscrewed, as there are no threads. Basically, it's there permanently. This is not to say that it cannot be forced out. With the right tool, anything can be removed, right? 😈

As for the "fix/s", the first is, we can order these 3D printed replacements from a seller on ebay.
https://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-...0001&campid=5337789113&icep_item=193199722077

They are being sold as a set of 4, which will replace all of the bushings for both front seats.

3D Printed Bushings.png

Another option is one that I was conjuring up, before seeing the ebay listing.

The idea would be using these nylon spacers:
Hillman Nylon Bushings.png

Since the outer "bushing" only has an internal diameter of 0.5", both will need to be cut into halves, then epoxied back together once they are around the seat's bushing shaft. My idea was to first epoxy the two different spacers together, as they are shown in the picture on the right.

Here are the measurements for the shaft:

Seat bushing.png

With all of that said, I've ordered a set of the 3D printed bushings to give them a try. Once I get them in and put on, I'll update with my thoughts on them.

This site contains affiliate links for which Jeep Wrangler TJ Forum may be compensated.
I forgot to post this over the weekend. I got the custom mix Khaki 5545 from Vinyl Pro and sprayed some gray textured plugs I got on Amazon and resprayed some of the grommets that hold the soft uppers in that I had previously sprayed with the 15833. Definitely darker but I haven't had a chance to hold it up close to the interior on my Jeep to see how well it matches.

5545, 2 boxes on the Left. 15833 Right.

IMG_9797.JPG

I forgot to post this over the weekend. I got the custom mix Khaki 5545 from Vinyl Pro and sprayed some gray textured plugs I got on Amazon and resprayed some of the grommets that hold the soft uppers in that I had previously sprayed with the 15833. Definitely darker but I haven't had a chance to hold it up close to the interior on my Jeep to see how well it matches.

5545, 2 boxes on the Left. 15833 Right.

View attachment 146579
Wow. Big difference! Send a picture when you get them installed.

I sprayed a piece too, but haven't put in in yet. After I sprayed it, I noticed a few tiny cracks that need to be worked on. Turned out good though. I'm happy with it.

IMG_20200317_162914.jpg

I didn't realize it until the other day, but the plastics in mine are much dirtier than I thought. That's not helping the any.

Here it is next to some cleaner plastic.

IMG_20200317_163826123.jpg

Will do. It’s been cloudy and rainy here so I’ve been waiting on a clear day.
Same here. Most of the rain has somehow managed to skirt around us, but it's stayed mostly overcast. Has SC been catching all of this rain that's been passing up through Alabama? Man, it's got our rivers flooded down here.

Y
Same here. Most of the rain has somehow managed to skirt around us, but it's stayed mostly overcast. Has SC been catching all of this rain that's been passing up through Alabama? Man, it's got our rivers flooded down here.
Yeah, we’ve been getting quite a bit over the last few weeks.

I find it so hard sometimes to get a good picture that represents well without to dark from shadows or whited out from so much light. Maybe I need to take one in the evening when it's not so bright. Anyway, the Khaki 5545 (left) is much closer to the OEM Khaki than the 15833 Khaki (right). And I thought the 15833 was good when I had nothing else to compare it to..

I appreciate you posting the info about 5545, @bedhed .

IMG_9805.JPG

IMG_9808.JPG

Reactions: zebra12 and bedhed
I find it so hard sometimes to get a good picture that represents well without to dark from shadows or whited out from so much light. Maybe I need to take one in the evening when it's not so bright. Anyway, the Khaki 5545 (left) is much closer to the OEM Khaki than the 15833 Khaki (right). And I thought the 15833 was good when I had nothing else to compare it to..

I appreciate you posting the info about 5545, @bedhed .

No problem. I'm just glad we've now found our color.

Oh yeah! That looks much better. It is tough to get the camera to cooperate sometimes. Are you using Android, or Apple? I know on some (maybe all?) Android phones, you can adjust the ISO setting to help how when lighting is too bright, or too dark. I mostly use it when the lighting is too bright and my pictures are being overexposed. Something to check out. It makes a heck of a difference.

I tweaked the lighting in your pictures using Photoshop. I could see the differences before, but that really helped. Yours looks to have turned out pretty much spot-on! Glad we've got our color. The Jeep doesn't feel so much like a red-headed step child now.:LOL:

IMG_98051.jpg

IMG_98081.jpg

Oh yeah. Edited pics look more like what my eyes see. Thanks. I have an iPhone.

Oh yeah. Edited pics look more like what my eyes see. Thanks. I have an iPhone.

Ah, okay. I'm not sure about it on iPhones.

On another note, your vents look about like mine. I didn't notice the different color of mine until I cleaned it the other day. They are dirty and casting an orange/red tint like the other panels. When I get a wild hair, I'm going to pull mine and see how easily they'll clean up.

If they won't, I'll spray them. Not much worry with those since they rarely get touched.

Awesome thread. Thanks very much for posting.

I've got a 97 moss green Sahara that I'm transforming to a black theme. Didn't want to spend the $$ for a proper exterior paint job so I tested out and ended up using a roll on bed liner material. Turned out pretty well for the first sections I've done.

I want to change from the Sahara khaki interior to a black and gray theme. What are your recommendations on colors for that? I don't want it to be too overwhelming black so I was thinking maybe a Landau and Agate combination? That seems to be the factory combination on newer vehicles?

20200315_114432.jpg

20200315_130111.jpg