Interior Maintenance Restoration and Repair

All these interior colors and codes can really confusing, but you're doing a great job of rounding them all up.

Reactions: bedhed
All these interior colors and codes can really confusing, but you're doing a great job of rounding them all up.
Thanks. And, yeah. You got that right. I really didn't want to add the two-tone codes in the way that I did, but the variations and unknowns led me to slap them all together. At first, I started typing it all out and weeding out colors that weren't in the TJ, but once I got to the Cognac/Black combination, I remembered that I wasn't even aware of Cognac being used in the TJ until a couple of months ago.

I feel pretty confident that 3-4 of those colors and/or combinations weren't used in the TJ, but I figure it's best as is until I can do some more digging, or get some confirmations.

Reactions: Nickgsjeep
I had them mix me an aerosol can of Color Coat SEM #5020 which is the Camel Tan for my 2000 interior. I bought a Jeep in the fall to part out because it had the color doors I needed hat looked in relatively good shape. Doors weren't as good as I though so I've had to change out the window regulators and the door handles. The interior panels were saddle so I'm recoloring to match my Jeep. Gonna finally tackle the door panels this weekend. I have one can of the color but figure I should get one more just to be safe. I'm going by Vinyl Pro tomorrow to pick it up. They're great. They've got everything in house to mix up custom and spec colors in the rattle cans.

I think I know who Annette is.. I usually speak with Robin. Those folks are so nice there. they sell anything one would need to take care of the interior and exterior of your car.

I just finished painting the door panels harvested from my donor 1998 TJ. They were Saddle Tan and now Med Camel Tan to match my 2000 TJ. Most of the time was in the prep.
  1. Clean with SEM Soap #39362 (did twice since these things were nasty dirty)
  2. Clean with SEM Plastic Prep #38353 and clean lint free towel
  3. Prep with the SEM Adhesion Promoter #39863 (one light coat - flash dry, wet coat then started painting w/in 20-minutes)
  4. Several light coats 5-10 minutes flash dry in between coats with SEM color #5020 which is the match for Med. Camel Tan from my year TJ. I did 4 coats going light each time.
  5. Going to let cure for a few days then install on the doors that I'm also refurbishing (new window regulators, and interior+exterior handles)
I'll post after pictures after I get it all put together. I'll probably try and put this project up on the How To as well.

IMG_2372.JPG

IMG_2373.JPG

IMG_2374.JPG

IMG_2375.JPG

IMG_2376.JPG

Last edited:
I just finished painting the door panels harvested from my donor 1998 TJ. They were Saddle Tan and now Med Camel Tan to match my 2000 TJ. Most of the time was in the prep.
  1. Clean with SEM Soap (did twice since these things were nasty dirty)
  2. Clean with SEM Plastic Prep and clean lint free towel
  3. Prep with the SEM Adhesion Promoter (one light coat - flash dry, wet coat then started painting w/in 20-minutes)
  4. Several light coats 5-10 minutes flash dry in between coats with SEM #5020 which is the match for Med. Camel Tan from my year TJ. I did 4 coats going light each time.
  5. Going to let cure for a few days then install on the doors that I'm also refurbishing (new window regulators, and interior+exterior handles)
I'll post after pictures after I get it all put together. I'll probably try and put this project up on the How To as well.

View attachment 150694

View attachment 150695

View attachment 150696

View attachment 150697

View attachment 150698
Left us in suspense with that one! :LOL:

I'm liking the setup though. Very nice job. Can't wait to see the finished products.

The top side of my door panels, next to the windows are in the beginning stage of getting that powdery white look. More so on the driver's side, which has been getting more exposed to water, over the past few months.

Out of curiosity, I wanted to try the backing soda method. I scrubbed the area a little, but not thoroughly enough to do a respectable test. Despite that, it did a fairly good job. In some areas, it took the plastic down to it's original color. I could tell from that little test though, that using that method might not be as quick and simple as the video makes it appear. I'm thinking time and elbow grease will be a must. A must for some of it, anyway.

Reactions: Nickgsjeep
  1. Clean with SEM Soap (did twice since these things were nasty dirty)
  2. Clean with SEM Plastic Prep and clean lint free towel
  3. Prep with the SEM Adhesion Promoter (one light coat - flash dry, wet coat then started painting w/in 20-minutes)
  4. Several light coats 5-10 minutes flash dry in between coats with SEM #5020 which is the match for Med. Camel Tan from my year TJ. I did 4 coats going light each time.

View attachment 150694

View attachment 150695

View attachment 150696

View attachment 150697

View attachment 150698

Really looking forward to seeing your results, I am more or less in the same boat.

Last year I bought a set of full doors from a 98 Sahara and I have a 2000 with a camel interior.

How many cans did you use?

I'm liking the setup though. Very nice job. Can't wait to see the finished products.

The top side of my door panels, next to the windows are in the beginning stage of getting that powdery white look. More so on the driver's side, which has been getting more exposed to water, over the past few months.

Out of curiosity, I wanted to try the backing soda method. I scrubbed the area a little, but not thoroughly enough to do a respectable test. Despite that, it did a fairly good job. In some areas, it took the plastic down to it's original color. I could tell from that little test though, that using that method might not be as quick and simple as the video makes it appear. I'm thinking time and elbow grease will be a must. A must for some of it, anyway.

I didn't mean to leave anyone hanging.. Here are the panels in the basement curing for 48-hours. They came out great. The door panels have some abrasions that the paint can't hide but I'm thrilled with the results. $hit.. it's a 20-year old Jeep but again... they look great and the paint covered that ashy white color at the top of the panel better than I expected.

I'm not a patient type of DIY'er but I was today, used all the SEM products and it came out beyond my expectations.

Used just over 1-can for the two panels.

I didn't paint the undersides so the last photo will show the color difference.

Definitely a project you can do on your own.

IMG_2377.JPG

IMG_2378.JPG

IMG_2379.JPG

IMG_2391.JPG

I'm curious also.

When I was ordering from Vinyl Pro, I asked about the coverage. If I remember right, Annette told me that one can covers 8 square feet.

Buy 2-cans for door panels just to be safe. Especially if your changing colors. If you're staying the same color, could probably just use the one can.

Dan

Baking Soda didn't do great for me. I sprung for the SEM Soap and a Gray Scotch Brite pad.

Really looking forward to seeing your results, I am more or less in the same boat.

Last year I bought a set of full doors from a 98 Sahara and I have a 2000 with a camel interior.

How many cans did you use?

If you're changing the color, definitely go for 2-cans to be safe if you can. I felt my first can going a little light so I swapped it out and finished with can #2. At some point, I'll touch up my 1/2 door panels and between the residual from can #1 and can #2, I should be good to go.

Good luck with your project.

Reactions: fooey
  1. Clean with SEM Soap #39362 (did twice since these things were nasty dirty)
  2. Clean with SEM Plastic Prep #38353 and clean lint free towel
  3. Prep with the SEM Adhesion Promoter #39863 (one light coat - flash dry, wet coat then started painting w/in 20-minutes)
  4. Several light coats 5-10 minutes flash dry in between coats with SEM color #5020 which is the match for Med. Camel Tan from my year TJ. I did 4 coats going light each time.

View attachment 150694

View attachment 150695

View attachment 150696

View attachment 150697

View attachment 150698
Just updated the SEM product codes for anyone wanting to try this themselves.

• USA Proud
Reactions: BlueChip
I didn't mean to leave anyone hanging.. Here are the panels in the basement curing for 48-hours. They came out great. The door panels have some abrasions that the paint can't hide but I'm thrilled with the results. $hit.. it's a 20-year old Jeep but again... they look great and the paint covered that ashy white color at the top of the panel better than I expected.

I'm not a patient type of DIY'er but I was today, used all the SEM products and it came out beyond my expectations.

View attachment 150775

View attachment 150776

View attachment 150777

View attachment 150783

That’s looks fantastic, great job!

I’m sold, just need to find a vendor that will sell me a couple cans online.

Reactions: Dan T. and bedhed

View attachment 150775

View attachment 150776

View attachment 150777

View attachment 150783
That looks great, man! Thanks for sending the pictures.
Those also help in showing the difference between the two colors. In the thread that Nickgsjeep sent, I saw where someone sprayed a little on a paper towel, but ended up not using it.

Good info. Thanks, again. When you get them installed, send some pictures. Any other projects in store for the interior?

Reactions: Dan T.
Vinyl Pro has been a great source, so far. Best prices I've seen, and nice folks.
https://www.vinylpro.com/

X2 on Vinyl Pro Atlanta. If need be, I'd even be willing to pick up and ship out to you (But they'll ship of course) ask for Annette or Robin like @bedhead also recommends. I live about 10-minutes away from them which is super fortunate. I'm going back for SEM Trim Black to paint the window sails and refurb the sideview mirrors.

Dan

Reactions: fooey and bedhed
The door panels have some abrasions that the paint can't hide but I'm thrilled with the results.
I'm not sure how bad the abrasions were on yours, but something I've done with abrasions and cuts before is, very carefully using a razor blaze to cut the raised plastic. Giving it a "shave", so to speak.

That doesn't help for the indents, but it does get rid of the raised areas, and keeps it from being as noticable.

I messed that post all up somehow.

I'm not sure how bad the abrasions were on yours, but something I've done with abrasions and cuts before is, very carefully using a razor blaze to cut the raised plastic. Giving it a "shave", so to speak.

That doesn't help for the indents, but it does get rid of the raised areas, and keeps it from being as noticable.

That looks great, man! Thanks for sending the pictures.
Those also help in showing the difference between the two colors. In the thread that Nickgsjeep sent, I saw where someone sprayed a little on a paper towel, but ended up not using it.

Good info. Thanks, again. When you get them installed, send some pictures. Any other projects in store for the interior?

I hope to get the play by play of the door refurb up soon on the How To section. In addition to coloring the doors, I changed out window regulators an interior + exterior handles. opening up the doors was a mess but I think I have the rebuild all figured out.

Luckily, my interior is in good shape so nothing that has to be redone anytime soon. I've already changed out all the seats and installed BedRug so my wife is happy happy.

Thanks

Dan

I hope to get the play by play of the door refurb up soon on the How To section. In addition to coloring the doors, I changed out window regulators an interior + exterior handles. opening up the doors was a mess but I think I have the rebuild all figured out.

Luckily, my interior is in good shape so nothing that has to be redone anytime soon. I've already changed out all the seats and installed BedRug so my wife is happy happy.

Thanks

Dan
I'll keep an eye out for your thread, so I can share it's link here.