Interior windshield bezel

imactj2004

TJ Enthusiast
Supporting Member
Ive got a leaking windshield so I am thinking of resealing myself but not sure what can of worms I might be getting into.

can the interior bezel be easily removed and returned, without making the problem
worse, or is it recommended that I get a windshield or auto-body shop to tackle this?

2469CC33-6831-4505-BF3A-0A7F87B333A1.jpeg

You can absolutely 100% do this yourself. Most local glass companies will even sell you a few tubes of the good urethane windshield sealant.

The interior bezel can and will need to be removed and reinstalled. There is a bead of very tacky glue inside that can be reused. Make sure to put it somewhere clean to avoid dust contaminating it.

The hardest part is cutting the windshield off of the frame. Urethane adhesives are a bitch and a half to work with, even with a glass removal tool.

After removing the glass, clean the sealant from the frame and glass thoroughly. Prep the surfaces by making sure they're really clean (double check with whatever sealant you use for the recommended cleaning solvent, don't just use what ever you can find as it may hinder the curing process)

Grab a buddy and apply a very generous bead (imagine describing yourself, but bigger) around the frame and set the windshield in. Use some good masking tape going from the windshield to the upper frame to prevent the windshield from sagging during the curing process.

Wait overnight if you can before driving around. Give this video a watch to see the process for yourself.

Have fun.

You can absolutely 100% do this yourself. Most local glass companies will even sell you a few tubes of the good urethane windshield sealant.

The interior bezel can and will need to be removed and reinstalled. There is a bead of very tacky glue inside that can be reused. Make sure to put it somewhere clean to avoid dust contaminating it.

The hardest part is cutting the windshield off of the frame. Urethane adhesives are a bitch and a half to work with, even with a glass removal tool.

After removing the glass, clean the sealant from the frame and glass thoroughly. Prep the surfaces by making sure they're really clean (double check with whatever sealant you use for the recommended cleaning solvent, don't just use what ever you can find as it may hinder the curing process)

Grab a buddy and apply a very generous bead (imagine describing yourself, but bigger) around the frame and set the windshield in. Use some good masking tape going from the windshield to the upper frame to prevent the windshield from sagging during the curing process.

Wait overnight if you can before driving around. Give this video a watch to see the process for yourself.

Have fun.

thanks. yes, Ive actually seen that video. I wasnt planning to do a full windshield swap at this point. just wanna try to apply some additional urethan inside to see if I can shore up the current leak

I wasnt planning to do a full windshield swap just wanna try to apply some additional urethan inside to see if I can shore up the current leak

That rubber seal encases the glass and the metal frame.
Do you know which part the water is getting around?
Also, (in your picture) the leak could be higher up, running down inside the gasket, and exiting at the bottom.

Reactions: imactj2004
I would get a new windshield gasket and do it once.
That water probably got under the seal in the opposite corner and ran all the way over there wile the Jeep wasn’t parked level.

Reactions: imactj2004