Intermittent Chirp Above 45mph

BryantJT

TJ Enthusiast
Hello again, in the saga of odd noises here's a new one for me. 06 Rubicon, 6sp manual and recently when driving 45 and above there's a chirping sound from what sounds like the passenger front area. It's a pretty steady sound, not the seat, glove box or the hvac blower. It doesn't vary with rpm, if I push the clutch and rev the motor there's no change in the sound so I don't believe it's the OPDA but I do have 160,000 miles on it with an unknown history.

Hello again, in the saga of odd noises here's a new one for me. 06 Rubicon, 6sp manual and recently when driving 45 and above there's a chirping sound from what sounds like the passenger front area. It's a pretty steady sound, not the seat, glove box or the hvac blower. It doesn't vary with rpm, if I push the clutch and rev the motor there's no change in the sound so I don't believe it's the OPDA but I do have 160,000 miles on it with an unknown history.
Does it vary with speed? My first guess is a u-joint, either on the front driveshaft or the front axle shafts

Not by much it's pretty much steady from 45 and above. I drove 20 miles and stopped. There was no temperature difference on either end of the front driveshaft and that is more under my seat than the passenger corner.

What's the recommended source and procedure for replacing axle u joints?

There are quite a few YouTube videos on how to replace u-joints. It can be done with a hammer and assorted sockets, or with a ball joint press.

This thread should confirm what u-joint you need (Spicer 5-760X).
https://wranglertjforum.com/threads/what-u-joints-come-on-the-tj.2438/
If you're considering upgrading to aftermarket chromoly shafts, this would be a good time to do so.

Also would be a good time to preemptively replace ball joints, any front brake components, wheel bearings, etc. if you're unsure of how worn they are.