Internal frame rust with pictures

JC123

Aug 13, 2018
Arlington, Virginia
inspected the inside of the frame today with endoscopic camera that Santa delivered. The frame is fairly clean where it rises at the wheels but has some scaling rust in the flat sections between the control arms. as suggested by others I'll add drain holes, try to clean it out and coat with Eastwood's in the spring. The frame seems solid so I hope I'm catching it early enough.

IMG_8159.JPGIMG_8155.JPGIMG_8154.JPGIMG_8157.JPG

jwrangler187

Supporting Member
Dec 30, 2018
hilton ny
Most of them rust in the flat section. Not uncommon at all. You can try the eastwood stuff. I dont know how well it works

Chris

Administrator
Staff Member
Sep 28, 2015
Salem, Oregon
Yes, those sections are common for rusting. You could easily cut those sections out of the frame and add SafeTCaps in their place: https://www.autorust.com/product-category/jeep/jeep-tj/

That's the proper way to do it, and what I would do if I was in your situation. This is of course assuming you plan on keeping it a long time.

Truth be told, you could probably drive it like that the rest of your life (as long as you sprayed some rust treatment in there to slow it down) and it would be fine. However, if you're like me, you like the peace of mind of knowing that your frame isn't rotting from rust on the inside.

jeepndogs

TJ Enthusiast
Mar 5, 2017
Crete, IL, United States
The Eastwood stiff works well, I would suggest after the Eastwood frame coating follow it up with 3-M cavity wax. It’s recommended by just about every OEM manufacturer to be used in Collision repairs to restore the factory corrosion protection. When we complete structural repairs or even say a quarter panel replacement we don’t have much access to the inside/backside of the panel. The factory dips the entire body in a Ecoat bath for corrosion protection, we can’t exactly do that in collision repair,the cavity wax is the next best thing. I spray a can in each rail of my Lj every spring. And will be applying it to the inside and backside of all the body panels once the repaint is complete.

Chris

Administrator
Staff Member
Sep 28, 2015
Salem, Oregon
Although Safe-T-Cap is an option, like @Chris posted, Pocono Metal Craft makes essentially the same parts at a MUCH better price point. I actually have their full center frame sections and rear control arm mounts sitting in my garage waiting to be installed. They appear to be even thicker than the stock frame & the welds are top notch.

@EJD recommended them to me.
Very cool! I hadn't heard of those guys before. Their prices are way better!

Reactions: 2006TJ1

2006TJ1

TJ Enthusiast
Dec 4, 2017
Atlanta, GA
Very cool! I hadn't heard of those guys before. Their prices are way better!
I was checking out on the Safe T Cap website, and I was really having trouble spending $900 something on a bunch of (albeit well fabbed) sheet metal. I'm glad I found PMC because everything they sell is essentially half of the price and buying from them supports a small, local shop :)

Reactions: RussTJ

Chris

Administrator
Staff Member
Sep 28, 2015
Salem, Oregon
I was checking out on the Safe T Cap website, and I was really having trouble spending $900 something on a bunch of (albeit well fabbed) sheet metal. I'm glad I found PMC because everything they sell is essentially half of the price and buying from them supports a small, local shop :)
Definitely, I'm going to have to make note of these guys so I can recommend them in place of the Safe-T-Caps from now on. I like their price point much better!

OP
JC123

JC123

Aug 13, 2018
Arlington, Virginia
I think I’ll start with Eastwood and the 3-M wax (thanks for that tip, I hadn’t heard of that product before) and escalate to the frame repair if needed in the future.

Reactions: jeepndogs

SOMD-JeepFan

Nov 6, 2018
Hollywood, MD
I think I’ll start with Eastwood and the 3-M wax (thanks for that tip, I hadn’t heard of that product before) and escalate to the frame repair if needed in the future.
Let me know if you are interested in getting together sometime and we can knock out both Jeeps. I need to clean the inside of my frame first before it's ready.

SOMD-JeepFan

Nov 6, 2018
Hollywood, MD
Although Safe-T-Cap is an option, like @Chris posted, Pocono Metal Craft makes essentially the same parts at a MUCH better price point. I actually have their full center frame sections and rear control arm mounts sitting in my garage waiting to be installed. They appear to be even thicker than the stock frame & the welds are top notch.

@EJD recommended them to me.
I never heard of PMC. I may have to check them out the next time I am visiting family in the Pocono region.

Reactions: 2006TJ1

Equilibrium31

TJ Enthusiast
Supporting Member
Apr 7, 2018
Burnsville, MN, USA
Definitely going to bookmark this thread. I didn't get an endoscope from Santa this year, but it's definitely on my short list to buy and I imagine that I'll find something similar.

2006TJ1

TJ Enthusiast
Dec 4, 2017
Atlanta, GA
I never heard of PMC. I may have to check them out the next time I am visiting family in the Pocono region.
They have some pictures of the shop online. It looks like a normal, local shop, but I guess they have some serious fabrication space. They have a picture of their inventory of frame pieces and its huge. Very impressive.

SOMD-JeepFan

Nov 6, 2018
Hollywood, MD
They have some pictures of the shop online. It looks like a normal, local shop, but I guess they have some serious fabrication space. They have a picture of their inventory of frame pieces and its huge. Very impressive.
Once I get to cleaning my frame, I will figure out if I need to replace any parts of it. The website was blocked, so I will have to check their site out when I get home.

OP
JC123

JC123

Aug 13, 2018
Arlington, Virginia
Let me know if you are interested in getting together sometime and we can knock out both Jeeps. I need to clean the inside of my frame first before it's ready.
That’d be great. My plan is to wait until the spring when the temperature rises so I can drill a couple more drain holes in the frame and paint the raw steel before cleaning and using Eastwood. I’ll check in with you then and if you haven’t done yours we can knock them both out.

SOMD-JeepFan

Nov 6, 2018
Hollywood, MD
That’d be great. My plan is to wait until the spring when the temperature rises so I can drill a couple more drain holes in the frame and paint the raw steel before cleaning and using Eastwood. I’ll check in with you then and if you haven’t done yours we can knock them both out.

I have a list of things that I want to address on my Jeep, but I am waiting for warmer weather since my garage is packed with "stuff".

Reactions: Mikester86