Interview with Mr. Blaine on Jeep Talk Show podcast

Heard the podcast also (it's on spotify also if anyone has difficulties accessing it). Enjoyed listening to it.

Blaine and OldButStillJeeping. Seriously guys, surely you have better things to do rather than being grumpy old men shouting at clouds.

old.jpg

I'd rather admire the beauty in a desert or mountains scene, or a beautiful woman, than argue about the metalugires of aluminum. I'd rather have a beer by the campfire with you and talk about our Jeeping tragedies and wins.
That being said, there are those who are here because it's how they make money. Selling jeep parts.
And there are those who are here for information and socialization with Jeep people.
I'm the later. I don't sell jeep parts as a profession.
I could give a shit if you like Jks, Tjs or yjs. Aluminum or steel skids. I'm here because I jeep. I love jeep, speak jeep, and love offroading. If you drive a CJ, TJ, YJ, XJ, LJ, come on in, here's a beer.
For everyone else. If this is your advertisement to sell jeep stuff. That's fine with me. But don't blow smoke up my ass and pretend like you are all knowledgeable to sell me your shit . People read thru the BS. And that's the reality.
Drink the coolaid and pay the price.

Reactions: RobertJ
I'd rather admire the beauty in a desert or mountains scene, or a beautiful woman, than argue about the metalugires of aluminum. I'd rather have a beer by the campfire with you and talk about our Jeeping tragedies and wins.
That being said, there are those who are here because it's how they make money. Selling jeep parts.
And there are those who are here for information and socialization with Jeep people.
I could give a shit if you like Jks, Tjs or yjs. Aluminum or steel skids. I'm here because I jeep. I love jeep, speak jeep, and love offroading. If you drive a CJ, TJ, YJ, XJ, LJ, come on in, here's a beer.
For everyone else. If this is your advertisement to sell jeep stuff. That's fine with me. But don't blow smoke up my ass and pretend like you are all knowledgeable to sell me your shit . People read thru the BS. And that's the reality.
I hope you are just bantering with that, not directing that at MrBlaine. I don’t think anyone else would accuse him of being here firstly to sell his wares. He has provided a lot of information to folks on lots of subject matter (for free - not with a free advert for Black Magic brakes or Savvy).

Get off of my cloud

Reactions: jjvw
The only parts I sell are brake related with a smattering of offerings in nutserts, and steering. I never recommend them to anyone. I will correct any misinformation about them, but I make it a point to not tell someone they need them.

I don't have to pretend to be knowledgeable, I am. I have a knack for it, I am exceptionally mechanically minded and was gifted with the ability to figure out how to build things and it is easy to be good at something when you enjoy it.

There are ways to find what I say to folks, anyone can use them to see what I recommend. With rare exception, I recommend only a few things. I recommend Mopar sensors, Mopar cooling system parts, OEM soft tops, and keeping weight down on your rig. Outside of those, I don't recommend much at all.

One of my pet peeves and it is a big one for me are members who sign up and reply to discussions with advertisements in the form of recommendations for stuff they sell. It irks me to no end and while I have enjoyed bits of hypocrisy from time to time, I really try to avoid being hypocritical about that one because of how much it bothers me when others do it.

I get consulted often to help folks build their dream rig. I've done many and there again, I don't sell the parts to do it except for the parts I keep in stock which are brake related. (if you do use my brake parts on your build, I install them for free, so I give up the labor as my way of saying thanks) ;) I never want anyone to walk away from a build with even the slightest hint of a thought growing in the back of their mind that they wound up with any part because it is something I make money on. The only way I can avoid that is don't sell parts, so I don't.

I've been on Jeep related forums since 2000. I joined them to enjoy and participate in discussions about Jeeps, wheeling, and spending time together doing what we really like. I'm more blessed than most because it is something that my wife and I do together. I have spent 100's upon 100's of hours fighting to keep our access to wheeling areas open and doing what I can to encourage others to do the same and supporting any worthy effort to keep them encouraged, engaged, and involved. That involvement is purely due to me and my love of wheeling and hoping that we can maintain the same so others can enjoy what we have.

Along the way, I was able to figure out some parts to make what I do safer, better, and more enjoyable. That only evolved because I enjoyed going out on the trails with my wife in our TJ and found what worked and didn't work and came up with ways to do it, or do it better.

So, there's some smoke and bullshit for you, read it and recognize the truth or don't, it won't change how I do things and how I will continue to do them and trust that I well know that all of it falls well under the rule that we should all keep close. Never explain, your friends don't need it and your non friends won't believe it. ;)

I hope you are just bantering with that, not directing that at MrBlaine. I don’t think anyone else would accuse him of being here firstly to sell his wares. He has provided a lot of information to folks on lots of subject matter (for free - not with a free advert for Black Magic brakes or Savvy).

Get off of my cloud
This ^^^
Not that most of us need an example of @mrblaine knowledgeable, free advice but if there are any doubters I recommend they read this post

https://wranglertjforum.com/threads/advice-on-rocker-guards-design.10298/#post-161464
Talk about a crash course in rock slider design! And willing to take the time to spell it out.
Priceless info that came from experience and was freely shared.

Edit: The advice I’m referring to is in post #9

The only parts I sell are brake related with a smattering of offerings in nutserts, and steering. I never recommend them to anyone. I will correct any misinformation about them, but I make it a point to not tell someone they need them.

I don't have to pretend to be knowledgeable, I am. I have a knack for it, I am exceptionally mechanically minded and was gifted with the ability to figure out how to build things and it is easy to be good at something when you enjoy it.

There are ways to find what I say to folks, anyone can use them to see what I recommend. With rare exception, I recommend only a few things. I recommend Mopar sensors, Mopar cooling system parts, OEM soft tops, and keeping weight down on your rig. Outside of those, I don't recommend much at all.

One of my pet peeves and it is a big one for me are members who sign up and reply to discussions with advertisements in the form of recommendations for stuff they sell. It irks me to no end and while I have enjoyed bits of hypocrisy from time to time, I really try to avoid being hypocritical about that one because of how much it bothers me when others do it.

I get consulted often to help folks build their dream rig. I've done many and there again, I don't sell the parts to do it except for the parts I keep in stock which are brake related. (if you do use my brake parts on your build, I install them for free, so I give up the labor as my way of saying thanks) ;) I never want anyone to walk away from a build with even the slightest hint of a thought growing in the back of their mind that they wound up with any part because it is something I make money on. The only way I can avoid that is don't sell parts, so I don't.

I've been on Jeep related forums since 2000. I joined them to enjoy and participate in discussions about Jeeps, wheeling, and spending time together doing what we really like. I'm more blessed than most because it is something that my wife and I do together. I have spent 100's upon 100's of hours fighting to keep our access to wheeling areas open and doing what I can to encourage others to do the same and supporting any worthy effort to keep them encouraged, engaged, and involved. That involvement is purely due to me and my love of wheeling and hoping that we can maintain the same so others can enjoy what we have.

Along the way, I was able to figure out some parts to make what I do safer, better, and more enjoyable. That only evolved because I enjoyed going out on the trails with my wife in our TJ and found what worked and didn't work and came up with ways to do it, or do it better.

So, there's some smoke and bullshit for you, read it and recognize the truth or don't, it won't change how I do things and how I will continue to do them and trust that I well know that all of it falls well under the rule that we should all keep close. Never explain, your friends don't need it and your non friends won't believe it. ;)
Not that it matters, but I appreciate your being candid, and frank in this post.
You and I are not as dissimilar as one may think.
I respect, and am in a way a bit envious, that one could make a living, doing what they love. Loving what they do.
I respect your experience and knowledge in the Jeep world, as do many others.
It's not so much the message, Sir, but the small digs in the delivery that some professionals maintain. I'm sure this is a online thing, and probably doesn't happen in face to face meetings.
For example:
I find joy in helping my neighbor change his brake pads, but I wouldn't slam him personally when finished by saying, "Any fool could have figured out how to do it".
That being said. Thank you for your contribution. Many have learned much, including me, from your advice.

Not that it matters, but I appreciate your being candid, and frank in this post.
You and I are not as dissimilar as one may think.
I respect, and am in a way a bit envious, that one could make a living, doing what they love. Loving what they do.
I respect your experience and knowledge in the Jeep world, as do many others.
It's not so much the message, Sir, but the small digs in the delivery that some professionals maintain. I'm sure this is a online thing, and probably doesn't happen in face to face meetings.
For example:
I find joy in helping my neighbor change his brake pads, but I wouldn't slam him personally when finished by saying, "Any fool could have figured out how to do it".
That being said. Thank you for your contribution. Many have learned much, including me, from your advice.
Fortunately for most of the online folks I interact with, I tone my sarcastic wit and brutal teasing down, way down. If you wind up in my driveway and are one of them tender folks, I'll have you gone in a few minutes or in tears once we get comfy enough to let our hair down a bit. My helper has a brother, he is phenomenally homophobic and I can get him into brain lock where he just can even find a response in a few minutes usually. I've had many folks accuse me of not saying the shit I say to their face and they are generally correct, it would be much worse in person.

But to address the kind of digs you are referring to. I don't as a habit do that to folks trying to learn and who are open to learning. I am beyond patient with someone who is struggling and will explain things as many different ways as I can come up with to get them to look past where they are stuck. And, I'm better at that than most.

I write volumes about how to solve problems. If you ponder a moment how long that takes, you can only arrive at the conclusion that I do it because my number one favorite thing to do in this world is HELP folks solve problems, sometimes even folks who think I'm arrogant.

Sarcasm doesn't come across in a two dimensional medium as in an online post. With all due respect, there are those with knowledge and experience whom will share that experience and knowledge but it comes at a price if the giver so chooses. That price is condescending and demeaning expression in verbage, if the giver so chooses.
Let's be frank:
Give advice and share knowledge, but don't belittle the recipients.

I don't think I have ever read a post by @mrblaine on this or any other jeep forum where he tried to sell anything.
I agree 100% ! Complete integrity, his advice is always from the heart. Most often we only know he runs a shop when he relates problems some of his "new" customers experience. Absolutely, his goal is to help us make informed decisions.

Many thanks for that integrity !!

Reactions: mrblaine
Sarcasm doesn't come across in a two dimensional medium as in an online post. With all due respect, there are those with knowledge and experience whom will share that experience and knowledge but it comes at a price if the giver so chooses. That price is condescending and demeaning expression in verbage, if the giver so chooses.
Let's be frank:
Give advice and share knowledge, but don't belittle the recipients.
Like I said, I'm going to be who I am and how I am with little regard to anyone's advice to be different. I speak in a very direct to the point matter of fact manner. Some perceive that as belittling and I neither care or want to change that. It is just how I talk and type.

Reactions: Red Dog