Introduction and my evil plans

macleanflood

I break sh!t
Supporting Member
Howdy folks...been lurking over this forum for months... figured I'd sign up and introduce myself.

Bought a 1997 TJ back in March. Paid way too much for it. Came with a 4" lift and it needs a clutch.

Added a winch plate and a Warn winch and the Stienjager Shift cable kit.

Been struggling to get the skid plate down. Has a 1" spacer...or had one...the bolts were all 5/16" hex heads and they were all stripped. Got one out welding a bolt to the head. Finally got the torch out, cut through the 1" square tube and just torched off the bolts...with a jack holding up the AX15 of course.

Searched the common repairs thread and ordered new nutserts from Black Magic. Two of them have bolts...well...now studs... spinning inside the frame.

Also considering ditching the "shovel" and just fabbing a new cross member with .250 wall 1" x 4" tube and a .250 flange. That way I'm ready when I Dana 60 and long arm this pig.

Working my way towards the clutch. Along the way going to rebuild the 231 with a SYE and driveshaft and eliminate the 1" drop.

And pull the exhaust, drop the pan and replace every seal on this thing since just about everything is seeping fluid.

Thanks for the good posts! Lots of good Intel here!

Check out my YouTube channel:

https://youtube.com/channel/UCae8cq236PAPnXXzyZigKkw
Have some posts getting the TJ stuck in snow and some other misadventures.

Thanks!
Mac

Welcome !

200.gif

welcome t the group/forum.

look up cross member kits they are cheap and you don't need what you referenced there it's way beyond overkill.
a few clip angles some DOM tube and a small plate, then your just fine for less cost and 20% of the weight.

welcome t the group/forum.

look up cross member kits they are cheap and you don't need what you referenced there it's way beyond overkill.
a few clip angles some DOM tube and your just fine for less cost and 20% of the weight.
Any recommendations? So many to choose from...

Thanks!
Mac

Howdy folks...been lurking over this forum for months... figured I'd sign up and introduce myself.

Bought a 1997 TJ back in March. Paid way too much for it. Came with a 4" lift and it needs a clutch.

Been struggling to get the skid plate down. Has a 1" spacer...or had one...the bolts were all 5/16" hex heads and they were all stripped. Got one out welding a bolt to the head. Finally got the torch out, cut through the 1" square tube and just torched off the bolts...with a jack holding up the AX15 of course.

Searched the common repairs thread and ordered new nutserts from Black Magic. Two of them have bolts...well...now studs... spinning inside the frame.

Also considering ditching the "shovel" and just fabbing a new cross member with .250 wall 1" x 4" tube and a .250 flange. That way I'm ready when I Dana 60 and long arm this pig.

Working my way towards the clutch. Along the way going to rebuild the 231 with a SYE and driveshaft and eliminate the 1" drop.

And pull the exhaust, drop the pan and replace every seal on this thing since just about everything is seeping fluid.

Thanks!
Mac
I'll send you a set of front pads and rotors for a nice clear video posted up of the cable shifter bracket taken while you are trying to shift the t-case.

I'll send you a set of front pads and rotors for a nice clear video posted up of the cable shifter bracket taken while you are trying to shift the t-case.
You just want a shot of the cable moving the linkage back and forth from under the Jeep while I shift from 2, 4H, N and 4L?

Want a video file or just throw it on YouTube?

-Mac

P.S. thanks for selling nutserts kits! Ordered one this morning!

You just want a shot of the cable moving the linkage back and forth from under the Jeep while I shift from 2, 4H, N and 4L?

Want a video file or just throw it on YouTube?

-Mac

P.S. thanks for selling nutserts kits! Ordered one this morning!
I want video showing the brackets that the cables mount into while the case is being shifted to all modes. On here is fine.

Any recommendations? So many to choose from...

Thanks!
Mac
i didn't buy, i looked at several, swiped a simple design and made my own. i wouldn't want to spend over 100$ on a kit. it's fairly simple pieces and certainly not worth more just because they boxed it and gave you a sticker.

I want video showing the brackets that the cables mount into while the case is being shifted to all modes. On here is fine.
Video uploading to YouTube now. 80 MB file for HD video unless you want it downsampled. Too large to upload to the site unless you can tweak my permissions.

black magic.jpg

Video uploading to YouTube now. 80 MB file for HD video unless you want it downsampled. Too large to upload to the site unless you can tweak my permissions.

View attachment 267184
It does exactly what I told them it would do. BTW- At least one of the nuts on the t-case stud is loose. The jam nuts on the housing end at the tub side are also loose.

Thanks!
Mac
Welcome to the forum