IPerkWVU's Shale Green 04 Rubicon Build

Creek looked a little muddier than the Badlands!
Interesting smooth rock @ 3 min. Was that the same rock toward the end going back the other way?

Creek looked a little muddier than the Badlands!
Interesting smooth rock @ 3 min. Was that the same rock toward the end going back the other way?
Yeah, around the 9 minute mark was the same rock formation heading the other direction. I don’t think I have it in the video but when I turned back in I had my front locker on, limited my turning radius. Got in this situation

CE9C7AD0-2998-43A7-8DB0-976C2634AB00.jpeg

Got the jeep out to Badlands Saturday, a few pics of the normal obstacles

FB_IMG_1557708947150.jpg

FB_IMG_1557708959999.jpg

Had a starter issue after the trip that put the jeep out of commission about 6 miles away from the house when I stopped to pick up some beer. Turns out the starter was bad, the positive terminal was really loose. Replaced it today and it fires right up.

After yesterday, I needed to pull the plugs and hose / simple green out the tub. It needed a good cleaning and smells great! Love that this is possible with our Jeeps.

That's a cool shot driving up into that culvert. Can you drive all the way through it?

Been awhile since I've updated this thread, haven't had too much TJ time this summer other than the updates to the daily TJ thread.

A few updates....
Built a hardtop cart for the garage
IMG_20190818_181812.jpg

Got the dogs a proper restraint system
IMG_20190803_123032.jpg

Replaced the water pump, belt, hoses and thermostat. Hindsight, I should have also done the radiator.

After Jellico i've made a few trips out down to Red River Gorge area KY (known as Slade) and done some great trail riding. The Fall SFWDA Meet and Greet ride was a blast in November then the jeep got put up for the winter.

Been slowly buiding for 35's so the jeep's now got the following on.
-MC double adjustable control arms
-Yukon front chromoly shafts / Spicer U-Joints
-Revolution rear chromoly shafts

Got the jeep out for the first time this spring to run the Daniel Boone Backcountry Byway (DBBB) with the club and had a blast. It consists of old maintained and unmaintained county roads. Some are more intense then others and the rain definitely made it more challenging but a stock JL sahara ran it fine with a few spotting, tow straps. At the end of the day a few of us ran a more challenging strech of it, watercrossing up to the bottom of the headlights and a fun obstacle.

Ordered a set of 4” currie springs, getting closer to 35s. They won’t be installed for a bit but found them at a good price.

for a long time I kicked around the idea of doing rock krawler 3.5 to go a little lower since I have MCEs but why mess with the unknown.

New member here,cool read on all that you have done.I’m from the east side of Indianapolis.
Thanks man, the Jeep has been a blast to own. I first wheeled (and have many trips since) the Indy Jeep Junkies, good people. They’re on Facebook.

your pretty close to the Badlands and Redbird, both are fun places. Look up the SFWDA Meet and Greet ride upcoming this fall, it’s a great way to explore the DBBB and other parts of Red River Gorge area in KY. It’s a overnight trip but they have groups with great trail guides for various levels of rigs. The club I ride with now helps put on the event.

Thanks for the reply,I’ll look into that,I’m thinking about 35’s as well, just wondering if I can keep the 410 gears in my Dana 44’s,just hearing the of possible brake issues,sounds like it will be a bit more complicated to go just 1-2 inches on tires,I’m not sure if it’s worth it.

Thanks for the reply,I’ll look into that,I’m thinking about 35’s as well, just wondering if I can keep the 410 gears in my Dana 44’s,just hearing the of possible brake issues,sounds like it will be a bit more complicated to go just 1-2 inches on tires,I’m not sure if it’s worth it.
Yeah, with a manual transmission I figure 5th gear will be pretty lost, right now it’s only good for flat highway. It’s not in the current plans but I’m sure I’ll want to regear after.

the springs are on their way but I don’t have any immediate timeline to install yet.

Reactions: DrDmoney
Yeah, with a manual transmission I figure 5th gear will be pretty lost, right now it’s only good for flat highway. It’s not in the current plans but I’m sure I’ll want to regear after.

the springs are on their way but I don’t have any immediate timeline to install yet.
When you go to 35’s, what gear ratio are you thinking?

I've got 5.38’s and am quite happy, some feel that’s too low but it works for me. I’ve heard comments from a few with manuals about 4.88’s not being low enough.