IPerkWVU's Shale Green 04 Rubicon Build

IPerkWVU

TJ Addict
Supporting Member
Got the TJ back in February, it's a manual, 130k miles, mostly clean frame considering it's lived in Ohio and Indiana it's whole life (minor surface rust but no rot).... Overall in pretty good shape. Boxes have been piling up so figured it was time to get one of these going to document the build!

Purchased so far:
2" OME HD kit
JKS 1.25 BL
Brown Dog Rubber 1" MML
JKS Front and Rear adjustable track bars
JKS adjustable rear end links
Rubicon Express 2" front and rear bump stops

Basically following DPGs ultimate package but didn't go through him, I was going back and forth on running 32s vs. 33s, (buying parts as I was reading everyone's comments) but knew eventually I'd want to replace the transfer case skid which includes a body lift so didn't want to outgrow tires early on.

With that, the crack happens now and I'll run 285/75r16s on the stock Moabs. I love those wheels on the TJ. Still debating on the tred but will likely be a MT or some type of hybrid.

Here's a pic from the day I bought the jeep. I'll post more pics of small projects to catch up to present day.

513ba98a63bb2ebb17e3ff719aabafdf.jpg

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

First purchase I made was buying a set of Mischs Big Boy Driver Seat brackets. I'm 6'6 so I was eyeing these before I even bought the TJ. These are awesome, and a must have for any tall TJ owner, they basically shift your seat back 4".

New set of Torx sockets and a can of PB blaster got these in.

Can't recommend these enough.
f2e4a982c1bdb10da95eff7bd6965501.jpg
3e93a808eb2112fea2d27ff1d6fd23e1.jpg

The next step was to wheel it, help figure out which direction I wanted to go with the build. First it needed a CB per the local Jeep club. Bought a Uniden 510xl, teraflex mount, and firestick. I used HD velco and mounted it to the Side of the shifter trim. Don't know how well this will hold up in the summer temps but wanted a way I could remove it if leaving the doors off and not wheeling.
2e7116ac716218a3b826c0b6848aaff7.jpg

Got out in March to an offroad park called Badlands in Attica Indiana with a local Jeep group, was really impressed with what the jeep could do stock. The skid plates got a workout. Solid day, some highlights that morning's go-pro footage can be found at the link below (sped up some of the footage).

c895686d4e5c581b6802a2fb1023a127.jpg
007dce95cfd5229ffa5036ed7e73a327.jpg

Cool out there at the Badlands, I was out there with my son in his K-body "mudpup" in March! There was a group of Jeeps out there...
IMG_3870.jpg

That thing looks like a blast to have out there, I'll definitely be heading back up this summer

He doesn't need to be very "particular" with it!
He's also giving me a load of crap about LJ because I keep talking about "old man mods" and stopping with 33's.

I've never been at the Badlands when the leaves were on the trees only early spring.....guessing it can get hairy when it gets crowded.

Love the color of your rig. Different... Looks like it is in good shape too. Nice parts list...looks like you are going to have a lot of fun with that one.

Love the color of your rig. Different... Looks like it is in good shape too. Nice parts list...looks like you are going to have a lot of fun with that one.
Thanks, I'm a big fan of the color, wasn't seeking it out though, it was the first clean Rubi that came up on Craigslist that was in my price range. I'm looking forward to getting the suspension and tires on, shooting for the next 3 weeks.

He doesn't need to be very "particular" with it!
He's also giving me a load of crap about LJ because I keep talking about "old man mods" and stopping with 33's.

I've never been at the Badlands when the leaves were on the trees only early spring.....guessing it can get hairy when it gets crowded.
Yeah, I'm guessing the cold weather keeps all the dirt bikes and side by sides away but that it could get crowded in the summer. It was about 37 and raining when we were there, there were a few brave folks on ATVs running around but not many.

Next was to get the Warn Rock Crawler bumpers found locally on Craigslist cleaned up. Originally intended to just buy the front but he had an old rear also. Front was in good shape. The rear had multiple rusted cut bolts and some rust around the reciever hitch support brackets that I'm still working to clean up /extract.

Original condition
3fbbefa0f664b2921d2830d2e82b86d2.jpg

Sanblasted down
3dc3a28e4ed003b9c9d56e004e56d995.jpg

Etched, primed, and painted in Hammered Matte Black
b85c36ce5d83bd213327600765d72a95.jpg

42923759c6d2408b7f078fcd4d5af4d7.jpg

Stock rear is still on for now but took off the rear hitch and installed an oem tow hook. Mopar didn't do a great job rust proofing this from the factory, go figure...
49f29acb10be1d5e26beee6aead58ea4.jpg

Are adjustable swaybar endlinks really needed for a OME 2.5 + 1.25" BL? I see them included in DPGs package but wanted feedback if it really sets your swaybar angle off enough to justify the cost.

Are adjustable swaybar endlinks really needed for a OME 2.5 + 1.25" BL? I see them included in DPGs package but wanted feedback if it really sets your swaybar angle off enough to justify the cost.

I’m not running them and I have the exact same 2.5” OME 1.25” JKS Body lift

Reactions: IPerkWVU
They are nice to have if you want to disco them for added articulation up front when off roading.

They are nice to have if you want to disco them for added articulation up front when off roading.
Yep, I already have the front disconnects installed, the PO had them on. Rubicon Express brand from what I can tell. Agree, must have for offroad.

In DPGs ultimate kit they added rear adjustable links (non-disconnectable), didn't know if they we're really needed with the low lift height. For $80 bucks it may be nice to have things back to stock geometry but the jeep parts are adding up!

Yep, I already have the front disconnects installed, the PO had them on. Rubicon Express brand from what I can tell. Agree, must have for offroad.

In DPGs ultimate kit they added rear adjustable links (non-disconnectable), didn't know if they we're really needed with the low lift height. For $80 bucks it may be nice to have things back to stock geometry but the jeep parts are adding up!

I rode with the stock rear ones for years without any adverse handling woes. Finally broke down and got the JKS adjustable ones. Couldn't tell a difference, buy hey, it's back to stock geometry, and makes me feel warm and fuzzy inside.

I rode with the stock rear ones for years without any adverse handling woes. Finally broke down and got the JKS adjustable ones. Couldn't tell a difference, buy hey, it's back to stock geometry, and makes me feel warm and fuzzy inside.
That's where I'm at, I'm trying to keep everything else as close to stock geometry as possible so keeping these on the build sheet.

Reactions: bobthetj03
Got the trektop NX in Black Denim on last night, really like it. The jeep didn't come with a softtop so this was the most economical / quality compromise in my opinion. The sunrider and bakini top features are great. A kahki diamond version would have been preferred but bestop doesn't make one (other suppliers do). I'm good with black with the cost savings. All in for under $550.

Be sure to set it out and get warmed up for several hours first, was lucky to have 80 degree weather in Indiana. Other than that, it went on smooth.
a65ca914b6ceaf4379f21e41a572a71a.jpg
705c076f67ab2ac9f79585c53e213a00.jpg

Reactions: FJQue and Chris