IPerkWVU's Shale Green 04 Rubicon Build

Had the guys from the local Jeep club take the lead on installing the suspension. I'm glad I did, I knew a midwest jeep with 130k on the odometer would create a few challenges. Had a few of the upper rear shock bolts break, and other rust related issues that they were able to work through.

Installed Brown Dog Rubber 1" MML, 1.25 JKS BL, OME HD 2.5" kit, JKS front and rear adjustable trackbars, and JKS rear end links. Already had front disconnects installed.

ee25415414f6bd79088a579f0af8a099.jpg

6ea034182013fcef4a467c9823ec34df.jpg

Went with 285/75r16 (33's) Mickey Thompson MTZ P3s. I found a great deal on these, priced around 175 a tire after their rebate. Installed at Costco, they filled to 40PSI during installation, aired down to 25 and it rides much smoother. Load E due to keeping the Moabs, I love those rims on the TJ though.

16cae1b2798892ef24f100f6b78cbf20.jpg

bf6c2d244a21e3058301acf15270bcb6.jpg

Came out vibration free, only issues that I need to iron out are:
- Exhaust currently hits my Front upper control arm bracket, gets a serious rattle.
- Trim the plastic manual transmission shifting housing trim, when in 2nd and 4th gear the shifter is hitting the plastic that holds the shift boot.
- Look into a Savvy or Novak transfer case cable system, we adjusted the stock set-up but it is not as easy to operate since lifting.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Had the guys from the local Jeep club take the lead on installing the suspension. I'm glad I did, I knew a midwest jeep with 130k on the odometer would create a few challenges. Had a few of the upper rear shock bolts break, and other rust related issues that they were able to work through.

Installed Brown Dog Rubber 1" MML, 1.25 JKS BL, OME HD 2.5" kit, JKS front and rear adjustable trackbars, and JKS rear end links. Already had front disconnects installed.

View attachment 41745

View attachment 41746

Went with 285/75r16 (33's) Mickey Thompson MTZ P3s. I found a great deal on these, priced around 175 a tire after their rebate. Installed at Costco, they filled to 40PSI during installation, aired down to 25 and it rides much smoother. Load E due to keeping the Moabs, I love those rims on the TJ though.

View attachment 41747

View attachment 41748

Came out vibration free, only issues that I need to iron out are:
- Exhaust currently hits my Front upper control arm bracket, gets a serious rattle.
- Trim the plastic manual transmission shifting housing trim, when in 2nd and 4th gear the shifter is hitting the plastic that holds the shift boot.
- Look into a Savvy or Novak transfer case cable system, we adjusted the stock set-up but it is not as easy to operate since lifting.

Do you get any rub at full lock? I get a tiny bit when I turn passenger. Not a big deal tho.
Looks very good btw. My second favorite color after bright silver metallic ;)

Got a few cheap Amazon items bolted on. Switched out the original fog lights for these LED cheapo lights. Primed and painted the mounting hardware to match my bumper and prevent rusting. Long term I plan to buy some LED KC Daylighters (really like the OME yellow accents with the green exterior paint) but for now these will do if I'm offroad.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B06XW49SKF/?tag=wranglerorg-20

Also added some grab bars. Unfortunately didn't make a perfect cut the first time on the driver side trim so it required some dremmel work but it's not noticable. Word to the wise, don't trust the measurements in the instructions. Passenger side went in clean after I took my own measurements.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01MY9IGC9/?tag=wranglerorg-20

Lastly, soaked my steering stops in PB for a few hours then added two 3/8" washers to each side, cured my rubbing issues.

Got a few cheap Amazon items bolted on. Switched out the original fog lights for these LED cheapo lights. Primed and painted the mounting hardware to match my bumper and prevent rusting. Long term I plan to buy some LED KC Daylighters (really like the OME yellow accents with the green exterior paint) but for now these will do if I'm offroad.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B06XW49SKF/?tag=wranglerorg-20

Also added some grab bars. Unfortunately didn't make a perfect cut the first time on the driver side trim so it required some dremmel work but it's not noticable. Word to the wise, don't trust the measurements in the instructions. Passenger side went in clean after I took my own measurements.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01MY9IGC9/?tag=wranglerorg-20

Lastly, soaked my steering stops in PB for a few hours then added two 3/8" washers to each side, cured my rubbing issues.

Pictures or it didn’t happen ;)

Pictures or it didn’t happen ;)
Ha - Here ya go!

Grab Bars - Really like these so far, will definitely save the steering wheel some abuse.
097b155056cf6ee310d9bb4517455505.jpg

Cheapo LED fog lights -Plug and play, used the stock fog lighting harness, butt connectors and heat shrinked the connection. Don't plan to use these on the road.

38dde72ae3f28a382f3e2bcd3bd4e96e.jpg

6dbaeeb7299640c58fe4e3eb996dea69.jpg

Reactions: Chris
Also got the jeep to an exhaust shop yesterday to fix the rattle the lift created when it set the pipe right up against the front upper control arm bracket. They rerouted the pipe to give plenty of clearance, problem and noises fixed.

Reactions: brown_mule
When I put my GraBars in, I made a gaping hole in the plastic. That looks much better!!
I posted passenger pic, learned the hard way on the driver's side. It's not bad but had to drimmel out a section, looked more like a teardrop before it fit right. I'd say take the measurements yourself, you can get a good idea based on the trim screws and distance from the windshield.

I posted passenger pic, learned the hard way on the driver's side. It's not bad but had to drimmel out a section, looked more like a teardrop before it fit right. I'd say take the measurements yourself, you can get a good idea based on the trim screws and distance from the windshield.

See that was my problem I didn’t measure at all I just said eh that looks close and dremeled to fit... not a good idea

Reactions: IPerkWVU
Got the doors and windows off this weekend, the Trektop makes it easy. Big fan of running it with the bikini top.

f4a70200de23a65ec01a7275ae22c812.jpg

Also installed a Terraflex Oil Pan Skid today, Needed coverage asap and it was half the cost of most engine skids, plus with the manual transmission there is a little less to damage. Fits nice and snug, came away with no rattles which I was a little nervous about due to the proximity of the exhaust system. Big challenge was getting the bolts that screw into the engine block in, 14 years exposed to road grime made them tough, made sure to use anti-seize so they'll come back out when needed. Long term, the oil pan will need a full surface rust debridement and paint job, but at least it won't meet it's maker due to a rock anytime soon.

02af4b442ad0671b67b30a148937627c.jpg

Heading down to Indiana DNR - Interlake SRA next weekend to break in the suspension and tires, will report back.

Reactions: Starrs
Got the Jeep out this past weekend to Interlake SRA for the first time since getting the lift and tires on. Went with a few TJs and JKUs on 35s and 37s. The Jeep did great, got through multiple spots on the trail when others had to winch. The OME shocks and springs and the MT tires really gave me good footing though the mud.

c64ad9a2ad9ff417602bea8104d219ff.jpg

4bc306213e0c0e905f1bb634f27ffc23.jpg

Needed the pressure washer to clean the jeep up after this trip

On the short list after the trip
-M8000 winch, recovery gear
-Exogate to get the rear tire out of my back seat and properly hold up that heavy E-rated tire

Reactions: CybrSlydr
Been a few weeks since I've made any updates here. A few small things...

Coming back from that Interlake wheeling trip got a bad case of death wobble where we quickly identified too much play in the trackbar axle connection. When we installed the lift the OEM bolt and flag nut we're in bad shape so we used a different comprable bolt and regular nut. That turned out to be a bad idea. This was since replaced with original parts and solved the problem. It didn't break until I was removing it.

f76426d389b4fcda4d8b156b0e9b93b5.jpg

I had a Rugged Ridge HD Rear tire mount sitting in a box at the house that I installed, also made some rear snubber extenders out of PVC and rubber washers to keep it from marring the paint. Get some squeaks from the hinges when I hit bumps in the road but it will do until I want to spend the money on an Exogate or rear tire carrier bumper.

3cbd3bc3ac4420cab3440f6b8775ceed.jpg

Also identified and fixed my front locker that wasn't engaging. Luckily it was a quick fix once I identified the problem, busted harness. Went to the parts shop, the part number was no longer made but the internet helped out again, the AC system uses the same one and ordered one off Amazon, plug and play and my front locker was back in service. Relocated that connection so it wouldn't meet it's maker between the trackbar and diff cover in the future.

1153bc331cfb4de4d42c25f22e149dd8.jpg

87fb4083f9c304a3f6b049c18915c4cb.jpg

Lastly got my winch setup together. Bought a M8000 and sold the wire, fairlead, and hook on Ebay to help pay for a synthetic line. Got a great deal on a TRE Military Green line and a black Safety Thimble II, bought and painted a AtoZ Fab plate and had them include their aluminum fairlead. Really happy how it came together.

14aa920ee1670eef430a7b2a38305404.jpg

Put the m8000 to good use when I was out at Redbird SRA yesterday, as the only jeep in the group with a winch I volunteered to try to cross this holler, this mud was like quicksand.... The M8000 made quick work of pulling me out.

15fb5764a43e025c3f45185b391ca733.jpg

0ae27d0ad4a832f79a278daf4df13a28.jpg

f615560af02300dbcc4441846700bb9a.jpg

Other than that bit of mud it was a great day of wheeling, met a few new friends and picked up two Badge of Honor tags. Would have attempted the third one at the park but one the guys I was with were in a stock JKU with Duratracs. I'll save trail 4 for another day.

cec6f130497420c29e1dfc942fdbf6cd.jpg

857710264df0548b609bdc172b698042.jpg

Cleaning this crud off was another story, spent about an hour with the pressure washer on the frame and undercarriage alone when I got home last night, it coated everything.

Spent last Saturday pressure washing and blowing out the inside of the frame, didn't like what came out but I guess it's better I know. Nothing too major but definitely more than surface rust going on in there. Also drilled drain holes between the rear control arm bracket and the skid.

313a02b88be5010b4c7201bd83247814.jpg

Went to town with 4 cans of Eastman green internal frame coating, hopefully it will slow the rusting process down.

ea25e428c0456b6876ea61ee8570f283.jpg

Word to those who have not used it, that stuff makes a mess, I don't care how well you tape! I got that green stuff all over the outside of my frame, at one point it was like a wild water hose haha. I'm going to POR15 the frame later this summer so I wasn't worried about it.

Currie Antirock is in the mail, hopefully get it on Saturday then have a trip to Badlands in Attica IN Sunday with a few Jeeps.

Got the Antirock on today, like all other install comments I agree that getting those bushings in was a PITA, it took me a solid hour and a half banging those into place with a wood block and BFH. Had to file down the weld splatter /burs and take the grinder to the edge of the bushings to make for a smooth entry.
3bbed912ec2902d883c539b8ae4ba771.jpg

The torsion bar and arms went in easy, the next hurdle was to cut down the links to fit my 2.5" lift, Took the maximum amount off leaving room for the jam nut and link head, 2 inches off each link. If I didn't have plans to take it wheeling tomorrow I would have bought the 6.5 links from Currie. It all worked out.

6bfc3f0a4747e9146baee929d8b5195f.jpg

Set the links to the 4th hole, tightened things up and took for a test drive. Really like how it handles, definitely smoothes out pot holes /sewer tops. Bolted up the bumper and the Jeep is ready to go.
e1e4c0d258344186d1a85772c12e8ce8.jpg
965eeebd88a88dc09765548aa6cc28a9.jpg

Reactions: Starrs