Is 16 gauge the right thickness for shelf / storage box?

DaveF

TJ Addict
Supporting Member
So I'm totally new to making shit with steel, but I want to build a couple of storage boxes for the Jeep out of sheet steel since it will give me welding practice too.

Trying to figure out how thick the steel should be and currently thinking 16 gauge... does that sound right?

What I'm thinking of would be basically a half box.... one sheet running from side to side across the back of the Jeep, butting up to the tail gate with another piece vertically closing off the 'back' side right behind where the rear seat would be. Basic idea is to have an enclosure that would be 'locked' by closing and locking the tailgate. I also want to be able to put stuff on top of the shelf tied down with bungee net if camping etc. so it does need to be able to hold some weight.

If I put some 1" angle iron as cross members from side to side for support is 16 gauge the right thickness? I want to be able to weld it and have it support some weight without doing what I usually do which is build it way too strong and heavy.

IMO 16ga is a little overkill. What are the dimensions?
not sure exactly, I have to actually put my seat back in the Jeep to measure the depth, but very rough I'd say the top will be around 4' or less side to side (think roll bar to roll bar across the back of the jeep at the longest) then like 16" from tailgate to back of the seat (it's an LJ). I was thinking of running some 1" angle across the top long sides for support.

So I'm totally new to making shit with steel, but I want to build a couple of storage boxes for the Jeep out of sheet steel since it will give me welding practice too.

Trying to figure out how thick the steel should be and currently thinking 16 gauge... does that sound right?

What I'm thinking of would be basically a half box.... one sheet running from side to side across the back of the Jeep, butting up to the tail gate with another piece vertically closing off the 'back' side right behind where the rear seat would be. Basic idea is to have an enclosure that would be 'locked' by closing and locking the tailgate. I also want to be able to put stuff on top of the shelf tied down with bungee net if camping etc. so it does need to be able to hold some weight.

If I put some 1" angle iron as cross members from side to side for support is 16 gauge the right thickness? I want to be able to weld it and have it support some weight without doing what I usually do which is build it way too strong and heavy.
The weight carrying capacity will come from shortening the unsupported spans. The distance from the back of the seat to the tail gate is around 10" near the top so with the seat side wall supporting one side and your angle supporting the other side, the most you would need is 18 gauge. That is difficult to weld so your idea to use 16 while way overkill will enable you to get your welding practice in.

Reactions: DaveF
The weight carrying capacity will come from shortening the unsupported spans. The distance from the back of the seat to the tail gate is around 10" near the top so with the seat side wall supporting one side and your angle supporting the other side, the most you would need is 18 gauge. That is difficult to weld so your idea to use 16 while way overkill will enable you to get your welding practice in.
awesome, that's kind of what I was thinking, Thanks!

Especially if he plug welded it.
I've done a bit of lap welding thick to thin, starting the weld on the thick piece then letting the puddle flow onto the thinner piece, at least that was how I was shown, but I've never done plug welding...

If I understand the process it would be to drill holes along the edge of the sheet metal where it overlaps the thicker piece, then weld in the holes... would I do the same as the lap weld, starting in the middle of the hole on the thicker piece then overlapping the edges onto the thinner piece?

Is there a pro/con to lap vs plug?

Thanks again!