Is 4 degree caster angle a problem?

To answer the question, if you want great steering it is. It will likely feel light and floaty.

There is a cam bolt kit made for the front axle that allows the caster angle to be adjusted slightly. IIRC its range of adjustment is only something like +/- 1.5 degrees. but it might do the trick. Otherwise a pair of adjustable length arms would be the way to go.

TJs used to come with those cam bolts in '97 to mid-99 model years. :)

Looks like this...

View attachment 47710

My TJ (1997) has those cam bolts. I need to max out it and see if it improves my steering feel. Currently if feels unstable at highway speeds after 2in spring spacers and 31inch tyres.

Can someone tell me what direction I should turn that bolt to increase the caster angle?

My TJ (1997) has those cam bolts. I need to max out it and see if it improves my steering feel. Currently if feels unstable at highway speeds after 2in spring spacers and 31inch tyres.

Can someone tell me what direction I should turn that bolt to increase the caster angle?
With only a 2" lift it's doubtful your caster angle is low enough to cause that problem. My bet is your toe-in angle is perhaps a little excessive. There's an easy do it yourself alignment thread here in the forum on how to easily measure and set it at https://wranglertjforum.com/threads/how-to-align-your-jeep-wrangler-tj.85/

With only a 2" lift it's doubtful your caster angle is low enough to cause that problem. My bet is your toe-in angle is perhaps a little excessive. There's an easy do it yourself alignment thread here in the forum on how to easily measure and set it at https://wranglertjforum.com/threads/how-to-align-your-jeep-wrangler-tj.85/
Hi Jerry, I have adjusted the toe in angles following that thread to be about 1/16th ish. But that didn't solve the issue. My steering doesn't fully return to center as well, I need to center the last bit manually.

Attached is a picture of my driver side (yes it's RHD) LCA. As for my understanding it is in center now and I need to turn it clockwise to move the LCA forward which will increase the caster angle?

As in one of your previous posts, that would give only 1 or 2 degrees so nothing to worry here? If it makes the driving worse I could center it again right.

IMG_20210704_111212.jpg

Reactions: Jerry Bransford
The factory toe-in angle is still appropriate, 5-6 degrees caster angle will be fine for your 33" tires. 7 degrees is the factory caster angle for the smaller factory size tires but bigger diameter tires don't require as much caster angle. As close to 6 degrees as you can get will be fine. It's not possible to obtain 7 degrees after installing much of a suspension lift without cutting the welds holding the inner C, rotating it, and rewelding it.

This might be an old post but I'm sorry I have to disagree with that. I have a 4" lift on my jeep Tj ..I am running 7° of caster and my pinion angle is absolutely spot on with a prop, I haven't had to cut the tubes and I can achieve between 5 and 8゚ without having to touch the tubes..I have 0" vibrations, and I run 33" tyres and with 5 to 6° she Wondered But as soon as we took it to 7 she drove straight as an Needle.. Steering geometry depends on a number of things and not everybody can run with set figures, you have to adjust Small increments at a time and test on the road till you find the sweet spot.

This might be an old post but I'm sorry I have to disagree with that. I have a 4" lift on my jeep Tj ..I am running 7° of caster and my pinion angle is absolutely spot on with a prop, I haven't had to cut the tubes and I can achieve between 5 and 8゚ without having to touch the tubes..I have 0" vibrations, and I run 33" tyres and with 5 to 6° she Wondered But as soon as we took it to 7 she drove straight as an Needle.. Steering geometry depends on a number of things and not everybody can run with set figures, you have to adjust Small increments at a time and test on the road till you find the sweet spot.
You truly have the Holy Grail of TJs to have those specs you claim together with even having had wander with 5-6 degrees of Caster with a tire size typical for that much suspension lift and requiring 7 degrees to eliminate it, no front driveshaft vibrations at 7 degrees with a 4" lift, etc. Must be that it's an export model. ;)

Reactions: Chris
You truly have the Holy Grail of TJs to have those specs you claim together with even having had wander with 5-6 degrees of Caster with a tire size typical for that much suspension lift and requiring 7 degrees to eliminate it, no front driveshaft vibrations at 7 degrees with a 4" lift, etc. Must be that it's an export model. ;)

Its likely he has 9 degrees or more- the exchange rate with Europe affects everything. He spelled tires wrong too. He must be tyred.

I guess it matters more who makes the suggestion than whether or not the information is viable.

It shouldn't be, but it's a casualty when ego and asserting dominance become a priority in a social setting.

If the name (or post count) next to the info determines the validity of the info, there's a significant problem.

Imagine the absolute dread some folks would have if post counts & likes were removed. That in itself should be very alarming lol.

The more posts someone has indicates dedication and expertise, which is useful, but as far as I'm concerned it also puts them in a light of responsibility/accountability as much as worship.

It's all good, but we can do better.

Hi its a right hand drive . And yes 7°.. the front propshaft is lined up just fine . No Vibrations...At 5゚ there was no vibrations But driving on the road was horrible, We have a section of road with a very strange camber in places to test the steering on .. At 6゚ and even 6 . 1/2 degrees she just wondered ..As soon as I took it to 7° it was like waving a Magic wond ,oh and adjusting the tow-in as it was 15mm out, has stopped any wondering... There were other issues which we took one at a time like making sure the axles were squared up and centred.... People think that just Fitting something like a 4"lift kit is simply fitting it ,jumping in and driving down the road, and all will be well , are in for a big shock.. I fitted adjustable arms all round and getting everything spot on was time consuming.. But well worth it

Well it I can assure you that's the truth. And yes she's a right hand drive... We do have a section of road with a very bad camber ,and after fitting the lift kit i took her out... and it was Horrible, it's took a lot of Adjustments to get it to the stage where she doesn't wander any more.. But the figures are correct, not every vehicle is the same. Different components different heights, different weights all change the characteristics of handling.. And therefore the adjustments that you have to make..

20230219_143043.jpg

Its likely he has 9 degrees or more- the exchange rate with Europe affects everything. He spelled tires wrong too. He must be tyred.

It's actually talk to text As I I'm Parshley blind in one eye ..so I do Apologise,I didn't realise you were so critical of other peoples mistakes. And if making fun of them is what gets you off I think I look elsewhere

It's actually talk to text As I I'm Parshley blind in one eye ..so I do Apologise,I didn't realise you were so critical of other peoples mistakes. And if making fun of them is what gets you off I think I look elsewhere

It really wasn’t making fun of a mistake, the word tyre led me to think you were European and intended to spell it that way.

Lighten up.

I have far worse talk to text problems myself. I told a client of mine “ I know Mondays are rough for you” - My phone changed it to “ I know my undies are rough for you”. No kidding.

No one is picking on you.

I'm running somewhere between 2-3° of caster right now with very few issues. Not much return to center, but it is quite easy to whip the wheel around. Just means you don't want to take both hands off the wheel at freeway speeds.

As long as your scrub radius isn't zero or positive, it's not going to cause a whole lot of issues.

I'd like to chop and weld the inner knuckles but haven't had the time yet.

Reactions: Terry Tiemeyer
I'm running somewhere between 2-3° of caster right now with very few issues. Not much return to center, but it is quite easy to whip the wheel around. Just means you don't want to take both hands off the wheel at freeway speeds.

As long as your scrub radius isn't zero or positive, it's not going to cause a whole lot of issues.

I'd like to chop and weld the inner knuckles but haven't had the time yet.

Has anyone had much success with offset ball joints and will let increase caster if they are used in that axis-

Partially blind in one eh eh? Are you sure your caster isn’t at 1 and not 7? I kid I kid