Is a 2008 Jeep Wrangler a good first vehicle?

ezahk

I'm 16 and I need a car. There is a 2008 jeep for sale with 200,000+ miles on it. The person wants 7,300 for it. My mechanic says it's not worth that's price. I haven't seen it in person yet and I don't know of they're highway miles or city. I just want to know if it's a good first car and if its not worth 7G what should I try to talk them down to?
54e8e6991833ab36cc5e796d0093751c.jpg

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

Last edited:
It's hard to say without any details. Most of us on here are Jeep TJ folks, made between 1997 and 2006. There are some on here who own JK's or JKU's. I know the preferred models were the 2012-2017, since it had the 3.6L. Most kind of frowned on the 2007-2011 with the 3.8L. Maybe someone like @glwood could give you some tidbits.

I would encourage you to look into a TJ. You're 16 years old and a TJ would be perfect for you. They are the iconic Jeep, they are easy to work on, vs the JK. You can do your own mods, etc...as you have money, and they are a blast with top and doors off. Did I say they were fun? A 2.4L would be in your price range with less miles than the JK you're looking at. Possibly a 4.0 would be in that range too. But I see lots of pretty clean 2.4L's available from $5-7K.

No, that is not a good first car unless you have deep pockets.

Aftermarket mods for the JK Wranglers are expensive, insurance will likely be very, very expensive (especially at only 16), and being that it has over 200k miles, that also means it's going to be due for some major maintenance. Typically transmissions tend to need rebuilding around that mileage.

I should also mention that the 2007-2011 Wranglers are known for having the severely underpowered 3.8 minivan engine in them, and they are notorious for burning oil. The 2012+ models are much better with the newer Pentastar engine.

Anyways, it's ultimately your call, but I don't think I'd recommend a high mileage, early model JK as a first vehicle.

An older TJ (97-06) with 100k miles or less would be a better bet IMHO, but you're going to be hard pressed to find a nice TJ with under 100k miles and no rust for $7300.

To be quite frank, I don't think you will find a good Wrangler for that price, unless it's a YJ possibly, but those are hard to come by in good shape.

No, that is not a good first car unless you have deep pockets.

Aftermarket mods for the JK Wranglers are expensive, insurance will likely be very, very expensive (especially at only 16), and being that it has over 200k miles, that also means it's going to be due for some major maintenance. Typically transmissions tend to need rebuilding around that mileage.

I should also mention that the 2007-2011 Wranglers are known for having the severely underpowered 3.8 minivan engine in them, and they are notorious for burning oil. The 2012+ models are much better with the newer Pentastar engine.

Anyways, it's ultimately your call, but I don't think I'd recommend a high mileage, early model JK as a first vehicle.

An older TJ (97-06) with 100k miles or less would be a better bet IMHO, but you're going to be hard pressed to find a nice TJ with under 100k miles and no rust for $7300.

To be quite frank, I don't think you will find a good Wrangler for that price, unless it's a YJ possibly, but those are hard to come by in good shape.
He could go for a 2.4L and probably find one. Not sure where he's located. Where are you located @ezahk ? Do they salt the roads there in the winter?

He could go for a 2.4L and probably find one. Not sure where he's located. Where are you located @ezahk ? Do they salt the roads there in the winter?
They don't salt the roads often down here in the south simple fact that we don't get snow too often.

Reactions: JMT

True indeed! I just never recommend the 4 bangers. I had a 4 banger in my Cherokee XJ and it was the most excruciating thing ever to drive on the highway. I mean I didn't even have enough power to pass a Prius, no joke.

I know we have a lot of members who like their 4 cylinders, so I don't want to rag on them too much, but I wouldn't own one again if you paid me.

Reactions: StG58
True indeed! I just never recommend the 4 bangers. I had a 4 banger in my Cherokee XJ and it was the most excruciating thing ever to drive on the highway. I mean I didn't even have enough power to pass a Prius, no joke.

I know we have a lot of members who like their 4 cylinders, so I don't want to rag on them too much, but I wouldn't own one again if you paid me.
Yeah, but he's 16, so it's that or a civic or some other piece of you know what.

Reactions: UpperMI
They don't salt the roads often down here in the south simple fact that we don't get snow too often.

That's good news. Should be plenty of the 4 cylinder TJ's around, if you are interested. Think about how much better it would be than a civic or camry or some other piece of junk boring car. What other vehicle can you take the doors off? I'm telling you man, this is the coolest vehicle ever. Now, that said, back to the JK. That's a lot of miles, like @Chris said, and a lot of maintenance is coming, and it's expensive. That's why I recommend the TJ. And it's a much simpler machine and much more reliable. Just look for one with no rust and no issues. They're out there. Craigslist is a great place to look

Yeah, but he's 16, so it's that or a civic or some other piece of you know what.
If I don't get a jeep it'll be a 2006 hyundai sonata. Really not trying to dig too deep into my parents pockets. Plus I'm fine with whatever as long as it gets me from A to B and has a radio.

That's good news. Should be plenty of the 4 cylinder TJ's around, if you are interested. Think about how much better it would be than a civic or camry or some other piece of junk boring car. What other vehicle can you take the doors off? I'm telling you man, this is the coolest vehicle ever. Now, that said, back to the JK. That's a lot of miles, like @Chris said, and a lot of maintenance is coming, and it's expensive. That's why I recommend the TJ. And it's a much simpler machine and much more reliable. Just look for one with no rust and no issues. They're out there. Craigslist is a great place to look
Thanks for all of the feedback guys.

If I don't get a jeep it'll be a 2006 hyundai sonata. Really not trying to dig too deep into my parents pockets. Plus I'm fine with whatever as long as it gets me from A to B and has a radio.

Well, if that's your only options, I'd vote hands down for a Jeep. You really just have to trust me on this one. The freedom is unbelievable. There's no other cars on the road like a Jeep. It really is unique. And, of course, I'm talking about a TJ or a CJ or even a YJ. Those rigs are so much fun, and you'll probably become addicted.

To get a reliable JK you'd need to stick in the 2012-2017 range, and they're all going to be $$$$

Reactions: TJ2

True, true! I'd rather have the 4 banger than a Civic. It's just find around town, it only truly sucks on highway trips.

Reactions: StG58
Plus I'm fine with whatever as long as it gets me from A to B and has a radio.

Then the Hyundai it is. Reliable, cheap maintenance, better ride, better handling way better gas mileage.

A Jeep is not the best choice for basic A to B transportation, there are way better choices.

Reactions: StG58 and Chris
Having had a 2007 JK with the 3.8, I would not recommend that Jeep to anyone, especially with 200k on the ticker. Maybe for $1500 just for a grand experiment to see how long you could nurse it along...the pathetic thing about the early JKs is they had that minivan engine, and the same auto tranny and 6-spd manual that the late TJs had...

Reactions: StG58 and Chris
Having had a 2007 JK with the 3.8, I would not recommend that Jeep to anyone, especially with 200k on the ticker. Maybe for $1500 just for a grand experiment to see how long you could nurse it along...the pathetic thing about the early JKs is they had that minivan engine, and the same auto tranny and 6-spd manual that the late TJs had...
Thanks for the feedback. Also what's so bad about the "minivan van" engine I don't know to much about jeeps. All I know is that the tip comes off and the jeep wave.

Then the Hyundai it is. Reliable, cheap maintenance, better ride, better handling way better gas mileage.

A Jeep is not the best choice for basic A to B transportation, there are way better choices.
Yea it's a lot cheaper to buy as well for 1Gs. Hopefully it's as reliable as everyone claims it to be can't be stranded.

Thanks for the feedback. Also what's so bad about the "minivan van" engine I don't know to much about jeeps. All I know is that the tip comes off and the jeep wave.

The 3.8s have some problems. The biggest issue is lack of power. I've drive a 3.8 4 door and it couldn't get out its own way. I've heard they are bearable with a manual transmission, but I don't know if I buy that. Comparing the 3.8 to the 3.6 I've driven is like night and day. Both were 4 door automatics. My TJ has been my first car since I started driving about 3 years ago. If you are looking for a fun high school car, I would seriously look at a TJ. I'm in college now but some of my best high school memories are driving around forest service roads with no doors and some friends. TJ's are also very easy to work on, so you can learn a ton about vehicles.

The 3.8s have some problems. The biggest issue is lack of power. I've drive a 3.8 4 door and it couldn't get out its own way. I've heard they are bearable with a manual transmission, but I don't know if I buy that. Comparing the 3.8 to the 3.6 I've driven is like night and day. Both were 4 door automatics. My TJ has been my first car since I started driving about 3 years ago. If you are looking for a fun high school car, I would seriously look at a TJ. I'm in college now but some of my best high school memories are driving around forest service roads with no doors and some friends. TJ's are also very easy to work on, so you can learn a ton about vehicles.
What years are the TJs?

What years are the TJs?

1997-2006. I would personally look for a 2001-2006 TJ with under 120k miles. I would also recommend a 5 speed (or 6 if a 2005 or 2006) manual instead of the automatics. Not because there is anything wrong with the autos, but it'll be more fun to drive (and you'll learn to drive a manual if you don't know already!). Also, many of your buddies can't borrow your car, which is a big plus in high school. There is also nothing wrong with the older TJ's, but I'm just more partial to the newer ones.

One thing to check is the frame. TJ's are known for frames that are prone to rust, so make sure that the jeep you are looking at has a solid frame. In the south, that might not be too big of an issue, but be absolutely sure to check.

1997-2006. I would personally look for a 2001-2006 TJ with under 120k miles. I would also recommend a 5 speed (or 6 if a 2005 or 2006) manual instead of the automatics. Not because there is anything wrong with the autos, but it'll be more fun to drive (and you'll learn to drive a manual if you don't know already!). Also, many of your buddies can't borrow your car, which is a big plus in high school. There is also nothing wrong with the older TJ's, but I'm just more partial to the newer ones.

One thing to check is the frame. TJ's are known for frames that are prone to rust, so make sure that the jeep you are looking at has a solid frame. In the south, that might not be too big of an issue, but be absolutely sure to check.
Ok thanks