Is a 2008 Jeep Wrangler a good first vehicle?

For what it’s worth I just bought a 97’ TJ with 200k on it here in AZ for $5800 and I LOVE IT! My wife has a 2011JK and now we’re considering selling it to get her a TJ. I have to say though that her JK has the 3.8 and auto tranny but doesn’t feel underpowered at all. That said, if you’re at all into outdoor activities get a Jeep (preferably a TJ) and you’ll never regret it. Like JMT said earlier there’s just nothing like them and they’ll give you the freedom to go places you just flat out can’t go in a Sonata. ;)

Reactions: JMT and Chris
If you have a rich Dad go for the JKs.
If you are an average teenager, TJ is best suited for you.
If you barely make it, TJ is not good for you for the gas will be your daily issue.

Reactions: KCsTJ
Thanks for all of the feedback. I'm probably going to get the 08 jeep or a newer one. I have 2 more years before college so I'll probably have a new car by then. But thanks for all of the helpful feedback!

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

Reactions: JMT
True indeed! I just never recommend the 4 bangers. I had a 4 banger in my Cherokee XJ and it was the most excruciating thing ever to drive on the highway. I mean I didn't even have enough power to pass a Prius, no joke.

I know we have a lot of members who like their 4 cylinders, so I don't want to rag on them too much, but I wouldn't own one again if you paid me.

The 4 cylinders aren't as bad as they seem. Driving up hills (the paved kind - not the dirt kind) can be a little taxing, overall highway driving is fine. In SoCal rush hour traffic speeds are (at best) 30-40 MPH, but off peak it's around 80 and my Jeep gets up to speed and cruises nicely around there. And that's with the 3 speed automatic. You just get used to hanging out in the right hand lane going up through the passes and enjoying the scenery along the way.

If I had to do it all over again I might have considered the 6 cylinder if the price was right, but it's a Jeep - speed was never the top priority.

Reactions: KCsTJ and Chris
The 4 cylinders aren't as bad as they seem. Driving up hills (the paved kind - not the dirt kind) can be a little taxing, overall highway driving is fine. In SoCal rush hour traffic speeds are (at best) 30-40 MPH, but off peak it's around 80 and my Jeep gets up to speed and cruises nicely around there. And that's with the 3 speed automatic. You just get used to hanging out in the right hand lane going up through the passes and enjoying the scenery along the way.

If I had to do it all over again I might have considered the 6 cylinder if the price was right, but it's a Jeep - speed was never the top priority.

True, no Jeep was really meant for highway travel. Even my 4.0 isn't the greatest on the highway. Actually, the engine itself isn't bad, it's the aerodynamics of the vehicle that tend to want to make it act like a giant air brake and push it all over the road.

I just remember my 4 cylinder XJ and how miserable that thing was on the highway, but I tend to have a heavy foot too.