Is a a 2003 Jeep Commander rear differential a good option for a TJ?

TJTERRY

Can anyone tell me if a rear differential out of an 06 Commander is a descent option for a TJ? The build sheet says it has 3.73 gears, limited slip with an electric locker. Says it is 300 mm but doesn’t say if it is a Dana or just a Chrysler 8.25. Thinking it might be too specific and no gears upgrades available for it. It is sitting behind a 5.7 Hemi so I am assuming it is built to handle some power. Thanks.

It's not going to be bolt-on, I can tell you that. The amount of work that it would require to make it fit wouldn't be worth it.

Why do you need something to handle power? How much power are you running? A build Dana 35 (Super 35) or Dana 44 would be more than enough to handle even a V8 swap.

Well I can pick it up from a salvage yard for 200 dollars. It’s a full floater, with 300 mm tubes. Has a locker, but only 3.73 gears. Not looking at running big power just big tires 37-40. So the ring and pinion availability might be an issue. From what I can find it’s called a Chrysler 7.9. The only thing I am finding is people talking about limp mode in the commander and trying to reprogram and that is mainly the front diff, which it independent Not worried about any of that since not going into a commander. I like the idea of a full floater without having to go 1 ton and maintaining a 5 lug pattern.