Is a child seat in the front legal?

Not sure about CA, but I've had to do it a few times here in VA. Cops seen and didn't look twice. Had one come up to me in parking lot 1 day when boy was 4 and had to pick him up early from daycare and was in the vette. I asked him of there was a problem and he told me no, if there is no back seat in vehicle as long as the appropriate car seat was being used it was legal. Now again that was here in VA a couple yrs ago.

Reactions: Same_j
I don't know about the law but here's my daughter at 13 months in 1997.
1977 CJ5 .jpg

Today I'd be more worried about the airbag than the law.

The few times I had my 6 year old son in the front seat of our minivan when it was so loaded up there was no room to keep the rear seats in. I just pulled the airbag fuses while he was in the front.

Hoping there are some people on here that knows the law in California. If I have my rear seat removed out of my TJ, then I could have my 5 year olds child seat in the front, right?
Cannot say about CA but I asked a cop a few years ago when my grandson rode in one. Not a legal issue. But in most vehicles the safety record in the rear seat is better.

Personally I don't care about the law one bit. If you can disable the airbag you are good to go. If you can't I wouldn't trust it with a 5 year old. I kinda think even booster seats are borderline at that age. Tickets are meaningless when it comes to your kids safety.

I have my rear seat removed and have my 2yr old daughter riding up front with me, it so cool riding with her like that , lol. Be sure to manually shut off the air bag and make sure the light illuminates.

Also we are talking about a forward facing car seat right? Rear facing car seats are the only no-go for the front seat that I am aware of.