Is a more expensive steering stabilizer better?

anuffsaid

Hello All!

I am building two TJ's currently for my daughters. One is just about done. Putting crate 350's in both as well as a bunch of other stuff. The question I have is regarding steering stabilizers. I see them for $50-$300 on quadratec. Does the "you get what you pay for" saying apply? Whats the difference?

Thanks

Clark

Most here would recommend the Monroe Magnum SC2928 which is ~$24 on Amazon. I had a $100 gift certificate from Quadratec and picked up an Old Man Emu OMESD48 because it offers a bit stiffer valving than TJ specific stabilizers and have been satisfied with it (didn't cost me anything, though :lol:). I can't comment intelligently on the high dollar stabilizers.

Most here would recommend the Monroe Magnum SC2928 which is ~$24 on Amazon. I had a $100 gift certificate from Quadratec and picked up an Old Man Emu OMESD48 because it offers a bit stiffer valving than TJ specific stabilizers. I can't comment intelligently on the high dollar stabilizers, though.
Thanks LJ!

Don't fall into the steering stabilizer b.s. that is especially prevalent amongst JK and JL owners. A $50 steering stabilizer works just as good (better actually) than a $300 steering stabilizer. The worst offenders are the dual steering stabilizers, which are nothing more than a marketing gimmick, and a complete joke.

The one I always recommend is this one:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000C53XRK/?tag=wranglerorg-20

Yes, that cheap steering stabilizer works just as good as some $200 name brand one (i.e. Fox). Steering stabilizers do very little on our TJs. In fact, you can test this first hand by removing your steering stabilizer and driving around for a few days. Guarantee you won't even know it's not there... guarantee it.

I put a Rancho RS5000 on when I put on the Rancho RS5000X shocks, I figured what the hell, should work. It does. It’s on the low end cost wise.

I've been using Rancho RS5000 steering dampers for at least the past 35 years and most likely longer. They work, are relatively inexpensive, and last a long time.

If I recall correctly the RS5000 steering damper for the TJ is P/N RS5407 and typically costs $50-55. The marketing pitch by Rancho is that it is engineered for jeeps with oversize wheels and tires.

However, I am intrigued by the Monroe OEM replacement linked above by @Chris because it doesn't have the "White Rocket" look (meaning I wouldn't have to paint it) and it costs only $24. I infer from the fact that it has been recommended by @mrblaine without limitation to stockish size tires that it will work just fine for larger tires as well.

Reactions: Chris
I've got the Monroe on mine. You can barely see it.
924f989418bdaa402038b93866a94a23.jpg

I have a Teraflex 9550. I like the look and it’s black. $54 bucks. Only replaced my old one because it was 18 yrs old. No difference still.
I also live in West Jordan UT. Teraflex is the best around, just ask any local Jeeper in this area.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Nope. To clarify, it is a steering damper, not stabilizer. All they do is slow quick back and forth steering feedback. A properly set up suspension doesn't even need one.

Just out of curiosity what is not proper about the OEM suspension?

Nope. To clarify, it is a steering damper, not stabilizer. All they do is slow quick back and forth steering feedback. A properly set up suspension doesn't even need one.
Even properly set up can benefit from the damping afforded by the stabilizer. Anything we can do to mitigate shock load makes stuff last a lot longer.

my TJ has 35" tires and wanders a lot down the road. It is always a battle to keep it straight. any suggestions? Could the culprit be the track bar?

Thanks for all of the replies

my TJ has 35" tires and wanders a lot down the road. It is always a battle to keep it straight. any suggestions? Could the culprit be the track bar?

Do your tires stick out of the fender flares? track width can aggravate steering wander, you also need to do the suspension travel test by pulling the springs and then moving everything up and down to check for rubbing, interference and travel. There are a lot of good posts and a few with pics that demonstrate what I am talking about.

Check the toe-in. Check Caster. Perform a dry-steer test and check the items below for any and all play.
https://wranglertjforum.com/threads/how-to-align-your-jeep-wrangler-tj.85/

If you install an adjustable trackbar heres a good way to center the axle
https://wranglertjforum.com/threads/how-to-align-your-axle-with-an-adjustable-track-bar.16623/

Reactions: anuffsaid
I run a Fox on mine and have to say I saw no difference between it and the old Pro-Comp one that was on it before. I honestly just bought it for the look, not expecting to see any ‘’performance” difference.

Reactions: WSS and Chris
My current one is leaking, should I even bother to replace it since I have other items on my build list that I would rather buy?

Reactions: ARawls88
The term steering 'stabilizer' is actually a misnomer, its correct name and function is that of steering damper. Its job is to protect the steering system by damping out jolts and bumps when driving over dips, bumps, etc. on the road surface. I'd replace it just so the steering system has that protection.

Go with a standard hydraulic steering damper like Rancho sells in their RS5000 kit. Some gas-charged dampers can cause the steering to want to go left due to their trait of constantly trying to expand.