Is a Rubicon 241 transfer case any better than my 231?

Eddie Greenlee

TJ Addict
Supporting Member
Hey I saw this for sale , is this any different or stronger that my tj 231 with a super short sye on my 97 tj ?

FDE411CA-0B77-4116-BD8E-060A350A26A9.png

Last edited:
Your 97 TJ would've come stock with a 231 transfer case. So unless a PO swapped it for a Rubicon 241 case... The Rubicon 241 case has lower gearing than the 231 and yes, it's considered a stronger design. There are a few other differences between the two also.

Reactions: Eddie Greenlee
Your 97 TJ would've come stock with a 231 transfer case. So unless a PO swapped it for a Rubicon 241 case... The Rubicon 241 case has lower gearing than the 231 and yes, it's considered a stronger design. There are a few other differences between the two also.
thanks , corrected my mistake.

With a manual transmission or 3 speed automatic, the lower 4:1 would probably be nice. I liked my 241 with 4:1 with 4.10 gears. I changed to 5.38 gears and and 4:1 low range seems a little too much. The 231 is much easier to tuck the the larger 241.

With a manual transmission or 3 speed automatic, the lower 4:1 would probably be nice. I liked my 241 with 4:1 with 4.10 gears. I changed to 5.38 gears and and 4:1 low range seems a little too much. The 231 is much easier to tuck the the larger 241.
my gears are 4.88 and i have a manual 5 speed

That's another good point. The 241 case is larger than the 231. If you have a tummy tuck (or plan to) you'll have to deal with the different clearance.

That's another good point. The 241 case is larger than the 231. If you have a tummy tuck (or plan to) you'll have to deal with the different clearance.
yes sir I do have a tummy tuck, but I do have room about the 231 t case, I didnt push it all the way to the top.

I switched from a 231 to 241 with UCF zero clearance, and with my BL, I had to do a bit of bashing to get case to clear. I also had to change my transmission mount. I have pictures on my build thread of how I changed mount. The planetary is larger and it hits the transmission mount. Would recommend switching to cable shifter if you do it also.

Last edited by a moderator:
I really dont think it is something you need if you have to ask what it does. They are not cheap. If you arent getting into situations where you feel you cant go slow enough in first gear, you have no use for it.

The 231 is a great t case. They are cheap and durable.