Is a tummy tuck something I can do myself?

LakeBeard

TJ Enthusiast
Supporting Member
I'm looking at a tummy tuck next. I'm not a mechanic but pretty handy. Is this something I can do myself? I already have the following installed:

Currie short arm w/ adjustable arms
Currie front and rear track bar bracket relocated.
shock mounts relocated
1.25 Savvy BL
1350 CV drive shaft
exhaust chopped to fit Genright tank, maybe need to cut more?

I would be installing on a 2004 Rubicon

I'm looking at a tummy tuck next. I'm not a mechanic but pretty handy. Is this something I can do myself? I already have the following installed:

Currie short arm w/ adjustable arms
Currie front and rear track bar bracket relocated.
shock mounts relocated
1.25 Savvy BL
1350 CV drive shaft
exhaust chopped to fit Genright tank, maybe need to cut more?

I would be installing on a 2004 Rubicon
Yes you can. I’m no great mechanic and had no problems installing the UCF extra clearance skid. I did have to do a little work on the exhaust, but no big deal.

Reactions: LakeBeard
I think handy really gets you further with a tuck than being a mechanic, it's more about making stuff work and figuring out clearances. Have you done a body lift yet?
Looks like he has everything needed to proceed. When I installed mine the exhaust was hitting on the front control arm mount. I just had to cut the hanger on the trans mount

I did it by myself with some 6 ton jack stands and a long reach jack.

I recommend another person to help if you can swing it, but its not necessary if you go slow and curse profusely.

Looks like the skid was lowered? Can I simply remove this and replace w/ a new skid?
PXL_20220329_002220948.PORTRAIT.jpg
PXL_20220329_002047480.jpg
PXL_20220329_002024703.jpg
PXL_20220329_002005893.jpg

You have an engine skid? I'd match that height if you can. It was great on the trails.

But for zero cost you can take out those skid spacers. Assuming you have the stock bolts.

Last edited:
Ok, thanks, isn't there a nuts and bolt rep on here?
You should check out the official tummy tuck thread in TJ resources. I read through it several times planning mine. You may have more issues than I did because of your higher lift and your Jeep being a rubicon with the larger transfer case