Is an AR rifle really ideal for home defense?

Yes it absolutely is an ideal weapon for home defense. Compare ballistics and dry wall penetration, etc to any pistol or other rifle caliber and it is absolutely one of the best choices. Only in 5.56 does this apply. Start taking heavier 300 AAC mods or 6.8 through it and it looses many advantages.

If safety is a concern e.i. Neighbors, then yes a 55 grain hollow point round will get less penetration through household walls than almost any other gun.

And also one thing many don’t know: a 9mm or 45 etc will penetrate 3 times as many interior walls than a 5.56.

Shot placement is key with anything. Know you’re target and beyond. Don’t shoot your kids.

If you live an an apartment complex do not use a shotgun. The .40 caliber balls inside most 00 buck are capable of far more penetration through walls than many including myself would have expected.

If you use a shotgun use Buckshot #4. Number 4 is what many agencies are switching to for this reason: LESS penetration thru walls to avoid killing others in adjacent rooms.

All this is discussed probably daily on most gun forums. No matter what you get a huge array of opinions.

Go look at ballistics from a home defense standpoint. You might be surprised what you learn!

What matters most is you are confident in your weapon. Safety should however be a primary concern among anyone living in an urban area.

Last edited:
Reactions: JMT
only if you think explaining to your wife that you shot her baby boy because you didn't have proper visual is problematic.

You don't get a proper visual by pointing a loaded weapon at him to light him up.

See can of worms :rolleyes:

BTW, I don't care, I just was pointing out that's another never ending debate like 9 vs 45.

Last edited:
Reactions: JamesAndTheSahara
Lots of good information here and again it depends on the situation. Most the time best off let them take what they want. Hopefully you have a good pinch point to protect yourself and your family if they come towards you. Anything can happen in a confrontation. Nothing a personal owns is worth your life.

Reactions: Phungki and JMT
Shotguns, a lot of people can’t handle the recoil. And they aren’t a “point and shoot” long gun. You want to run a 00 buckshot that has a tight pattern. Which means that you need to find which ammo your shotgun likes.

My 870 likes the Hornaday Critical Defense and Federal FliteControl. I can get VERY tight patterns with them.

I suspect with the adrenaline flowing the last thing you or anyone else would be thinking about would be recoil. Speaking from experience, there is not a lot of thinking going on, more reacting. Throw what you think out of the window.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: StG58
You don't get a proper visual by pointing a loaded weapon at him to light him up.

See can of worms :rolleyes:

BTW, I don't care, I just was pointing out that's another never ending debate like 9 vs 45.
how else would you do it? you should always be looking in the direction you are pointing your gun. you shouldn't have your finger on the trigger unless you are pulling it. no can of worms at all if you are following proper gun handling. i assumed you were going the route of giving away your position with the light. that's more of a debate than your point

X2. Identify the suspect before even lifting your weapon.

Every time I see this debate this is exactly what comes to mind:

no thx. i would rather be the first to have line of sight. how about keeping your finger off the trigger. i promise it wont go off no matter where you point it without your finger on the trigger

Reactions: JMT
no thx. i would rather be the first to have line of sight. how about keeping your finger off the trigger. i promise it wont go off no matter where you point it without your finger on the trigger
Intruder in my house? The last thing I want is him to know exactly where I am, that puts myself and loved ones at an extreme tactile disadvantage. You don't want to point a gun to light something up, that's what a handheld flashlight is for. Gun laws are different everywhere, get your loves ones and be safe. Don't seek and don't be the aggressor.

Never said anything about trigger control, I don't aim a weapon at ANYONE unless someone's life is at stake (lucky for me, that hasn't happened). Really don't know where that one came from.

Do it, turn off all your lights and wander your house aiming your weapon around every corner.

Again as @ohiopatriot said, can of worms.

how else would you do it? you should always be looking in the direction you are pointing your gun. you shouldn't have your finger on the trigger unless you are pulling it. no can of worms at all if you are following proper gun handling.

How else? Anyway that doesn't involve pointing a loaded weapon at/ near him. See rule #1 of proper gun handling....

1. Always keep your gun pointed in a safe direction.

too many ppl buy guns for self defense, shoot it once then put it in a safe. this is very stupid. you will be flustered and fumbling around with it and unsure of what to do if it happens that you need it in a serious situation.

you shouldn't have your finger on the trigger unless you are pulling it.

You can't have it both ways.

I know and you seem to know were your finger should be, but your original post appeared geared toward inexperienced shooters.

i assumed you were going the route of giving away your position with the light. that's more of a debate than your point

1st off, i had no point other than this topic was a can of worms, like the caliber debate. Period.

Lol, here's another can of worms.

2nd ....There is no debate there. It Will give away your position.

I think the bigger debate would be how do you see around corners? Stick your gun with light out there and hope he doesn't yank it out of your hands?

Or the debate about getting shot center mass because you were in low ready and the intruder shot at the light.

Lol, to each their own, train for you. However you choose to do it is right........ for you. As I said I don't care, but you can't make a blanket statement of whatever you choose put a light on it. I don't want a light on it.

Last edited:

Go point it at your wife and say "it's ok honey my finger is off the trigger so it can't go off" and let me know how that goes.;)

This be like me when the losers come busting down my door.
IMG_4033.JPG

Kidding aside, I think about these scenarios on occasion. There is no good conclusion to this no matter how you slice it. You have seconds to react. I'll end up in my bathroom, 870 Express in hand, in a superior, protected position. If someone breaks my front door down, then breaks my bedroom door down, then the bathroom door, all without identifying one's self, then I can be pretty confident that person holds ill will towards me and my family.

AR's are fun and all, but they remind me of a bitchin Lego set. They are fun to build, fun to play with, but just not practical for home defense, unless you are in the zombie apocalypse. "You gotta shoot em in the head Carl!"

View attachment 28131
Kidding aside, I think about these scenarios on occasion. There is no good conclusion to this no matter how you slice it. You have seconds to react. I'll end up in my bathroom, 870 Express in hand, in a superior, protected position. If someone breaks my front door down, then breaks my bedroom door down, then the bathroom door, all without identifying one's self, then I can be pretty confident that person holds ill will towards me and my family.

AR's are fun and all, but they remind me of a bitchin Lego set. They are fun to build, fun to play with, but just not practical for home defense, unless you are in the zombie apocalypse. "You gotta shoot em in the head Carl!"

All I see is a nice white TJ [emoji38]

View attachment 28131

You have one of the better perspectives on this issue than most on this thread. Unless you are a special operator or equivalent, you don’t have a clue what you will do or can do. There has been a lot of big talk about the ability to assess the situation and then summon up expert marksmanship. I hope no one has to actually experience the fear and confusion of the real thing. If you are anything like me you will want a cannon or flame thrower, not a pop gun 9mm.

I don't need to shoot through my home and into my neighbor's home with an ar-15. My 12 gauge is all I need for home defense.

Reactions: BendLarry