Is bending rear license plate legal in CO?

SaharaBound

TJ Enthusiast
I want to bend my license plate with the contour of the tub. Has anyone done this in Colorado. I want to make sure I don’t get pulled over for something stupid like that.

Just go for it. I've had mine that way in every state I've ever lived in (NC, VA, MS) and never had a problem. You'll have to drill new holes. The holes on the tag will line up with the plastic bracket, but not the holes in the tub without blocking the rear door. It's pretty simple though. I just bend it over my thigh and put a piece of wood behind it when drilling new holes. I also put a rubber washer between the tag and the tub. You'll probably only be able to use 3 screw holes depending on the location of the stickers on your tag.

Reactions: Tomtess
i live in Northern NM and have mine bent around the tube for the last 6 years and wheel in CO,CA,NM,UT and have had no problems

I don't know if it's legal or not, but no one has cared about mine in the last 5-6 years.

Is the bumper height on your lifted jeep legal?

Depends on how the cop is feeling when you go past.

Do dudes on this forum even care about such trifles?

It's your jeep, do what you want with it. If you get a ticket be sure to post about it and we will be all woke and shit like, "awe man that sucks, total bullshit, defund the pigs!"

• Haha
Reactions: DWR
Am I the only one who finds this tacky?
Probably because you lack the proper petspective. I bent mine around the corner of the tub so it doesnt get torn off where I wheel in the heavy timber and rocks. Same reason for round LED tail lights instead of the stockers. Ill take function over form every time.

Reactions: Zorba and Tomtess
The law only says it has to be horizontal, clearly visible and legible, within 18” of the bumper, and has the registration stickers.

Unless you get a cop having a really bad day where they argue it’s not legible - you’re not likely to have an issue. The only time I’ve had issues with not having my front plate on was meter maids in Denver. Given that’s where @jjvw drives often, it sounds like they won’t care about the rear plate being bent.

Reactions: jjvw
Am I the only one who finds this tacky?
Tacky? No. I do prefer there be an actual mount rather than be bolted directly to the tub.
20200809_120844.jpg

Reactions: Alex01
The law only says it has to be horizontal, clearly visible and legible, within 18” of the bumper, and has the registration stickers.

Unless you get a cop having a really bad day where they argue it’s not legible - you’re not likely to have an issue. The only time I’ve had issues with not having my front plate on was meter maids in Denver. Given that’s where @jjvw drives often, it sounds like they won’t care about the rear plate being bent.

For the last year, my front plate is over an inch shorter than it is supposed to be. So far no one has cared or noticed. I figure if it looks right then it will get a pass, even if it isn't.
20200802_095326.jpg

Reactions: tworley and rasband
Mine has been bent around the tub for years....A rock did it though. But I prefer it that was anyway. Also, I haven't run a front plate since I've owned it.

IMG_20200707_115254.jpg

Screenshot_20200813-095332.jpg