Is it bad to combine two catalytic converter brands together

loco1122

Feb 11, 2019
Chatsworth
I live in California and I am trying to pass smog with a p0420 code, My cat is due for a replacement . I can't find anything carb compliant, I have settled to choose rockauto.com. They offer two brand's "Walker" and "Bosel" for the two banks, from research "Walkers", has shitty welding so I guess I'll go with Bosel both are much cheaper than the 700 dollar Magana flow from O Rileys. This is just the discussion of the two banks. I couldn' find anywhere that sells a carb compliant rear 3rd cat so I was debating to get the "Bosel" 2 banks -

Bosel 2 Banks
and for the rear cat I was deciding to go with this -
WALKER 3RD CAT

now is this bad to combine two brands together should I just go with the walker or go the extra mile go for a 5-year warranty and get Magna flow from the auto part store? please help

tworley

TJ Addict
Supporting Member
Ride of the Month Winner
May 23, 2018
Morrison, CO
My walker has held up fine since replacing it almost 4 years ago. I didnt note any terrible welding. I bought the entire Walker exhaust system for $300 I think on Rock Auto.

I have found though that when exhaust work is needed, its much easier and cheaper to go to the local exhaust/muffler shop. I had one local that cut my cat and tweeked the entire back half to work with my shocks, they charged me $40. Years ago I had true duals installed on a 1/2 ton truck I owned, IIRC that was $250 for headers and all the way to 3.5" stainless steel tips.

RaymondT

TJ Enthusiast
Supporting Member
Aug 13, 2016
Summerland, B.C.
My Walker was fine and nothing wrong with the welds. I opted for the 50-state OEM version which was another $100 bucks over the cheap one, which isn't rated for use in Cali.