Is it common to have this many wheel weights?

Go back to that tire shop and insist that all tires be re-balanced by their most experienced tire man.

If the shop can't balance them with an acceptable amount of weight and can't prove to you that it is the wheels that are bad (not just tell you they are, but prove to you they are), then insist on another set of tires.

As mentioned above, even an old beat up set of Swampers should balance with less weight than that

Bent wheel or tire needs to be taken back, rotated and put on the wheel and spun again. That's a crazy way to balance a tire.

I'm gonna run by discount tire and show them the pictures.
My experience, you go in and talk to a manager at Discount Tire, they will work with you. DT always uses the stick on for both of my Jeeps, and for my F150. Manager will get on it I would think.

I took it back and had them take a look. They said the reason for so many is that they cannot add weights to the outside of the wheel, only the inside like in the pictures. The “manager” of the shop tried.

I can't add anything more other than that is unacceptable, and BS that someone would be happy with that. I am not sure I would take it back. I would go to someplace that has a better work ethic. Honestly, I have had issues like that in the past from Discount Tires in my area. I don't want to bad mouth Discount Tires because a lot of people have had so much success, but around here I have had nothing but issues, but I have had more success from 4wheel parts wholesalers. I imagine because all of the techs there do their own tire work, and have more skills with over-sized tires. It ticks me off that they would even put that on your Jeep. I am betting that it isn't even balanced out right. Meaning, if you took that tire off, and put it up in the balancer it is still off. I am betting that they just quit trying at some point. Grrr

Jeeez IK steel wheels are hard to balance but Damn. that's a ridiculous amount of weight. Take that back and tell them to try again.

I’m fairly confident if I replace enough things my Jeep will have the handling of a Miata. But I’d settle for a 1998 busted Dodge Caravan.

I took some pictures of my “balanced “ wheels. Is it common to have so many weights?

Also, I have an adjustable front track bar but rear looks solid. I took some pictures of the setup to make sure it looks right.

View attachment 197239

View attachment 197240

View attachment 197241

View attachment 197242

View attachment 197243

Not really much I can do except try a different place or try new wheels. I haven’t gone over 25 mph on it so I don’t know if it vibrates or not.

Nop
Not acceptable !
Why can’t they put balancing weights on the outside of the rim ?
- There’s something waay out, try the tire on a different rim

we’re on our second set of COOPER DISCOVERER STT 33x12.5x15 and haven’t got a single ounce of balancing weights installed
- hwy speed 55-60 mph/90 km/h @ 25 PSI
- off-roading at 10 psi

—•|||||•—👋🏿

Nop
Not acceptable !
Why can’t they put balancing weights on the outside of the rim ?
- There’s something waay out, try the tire on a different rim

we’re on our second set of COOPER DISCOVERER STT 33x12.5x15 and haven’t got a single ounce of balancing weights installed
- hwy speed 55-60 mph/90 km/h @ 25 PSI
- off-roading at 10 psi

—•|||||•—👋🏿
I forgot to add that we’re running on steelies

Perhaps the balancer is off...which i doubt.

The tech thing might be it.

Was it a big shop? If it was I can tell you oversized tires can be a shit job and shit rolls down hill.
The green guy probably got that job ...

More food for thought...

There are many stations out there who insist on using pound on weights.

Want to know why? They have buckets of them taken off of other vehicles.
A re-crimp on the vise and those old weights will pound right on.
We have buckets abd buckets of them here. Want some?

We always use stick on weights here but I can tell you sometimes the crazy aftermarket wheels with funky designs are highly imbalanced right out of the box in lieu of said tire.

Either way you've an insane amount of weight for a radial tire.

It’s a big place. They tried a couple different balances. It’s a big open window so I was several techs, plus the manager try

It’s a big place. They tried a couple different balances. It’s a big open window so I was several techs, plus the manager try
maybe your wheel is bent? maybe try taking it to a rim shop and see if they can balance/straighten it.

the other catch if it is your rim, and they managed to actually get it balanced. then maybe you don't care if it's way to many weights and put a new rim on the "for when I have more money" list.

I can't imagine that that outcome meets their own DT standards. I've had several shops refuse to balance tires because it took too much weight. If it isn't the wheel then it is the tire. It needs to be replaced with one that will balance using an appropriate amount of weight.

What are the other tires like? How much weight did it take to balance them?

I can't imagine that that outcome meets their own DT standards. I've had several shops refuse to balance tires because it took too much weight. If it isn't the wheel then it is the tire. It needs to be replaced with one that will balance using an appropriate amount of weight.

What are the other tires like? How much weight did it take to balance them?
I have 5 wheels of this type. 2 are like this and the other 3 have two or three pieces of weight on them.