Is it just me that likes to keep it simple?

Minderbinder3

TJ Enthusiast
Supporting Member
My 1st Jeep was a ‘91 YJ 2.5 that I had for a few years back 2005-2009. I knew nothing about Jeeps except I thought there were cool. I bought it for $3k and kept it simple and pretty much cleaned it up and did a lot of little things to it that kept me busy but nothing over a couple hundred $$.

I stayed on the forums and got “the fever” for more. I then purchased a 2005 LJ with only 13k miles on it. It didn’t need anything done to it (already had 3” lift and 33’s) and I kinda got bored with it. I didn’t have the same bond with it as the YJ, but I liked the coil springs better than the leaf springs on the YJ. Traded it for a crew cab Z-71 10 years ago knowing that I would get another Jeep when the kids started leaving the nest.

Fast forward to a couple of months ago and I got the Jeep fever. I started looking and was drawn to the TJ 2.5’s again and got a 2000 SE. I could probably afford whatever I wanted but for some reason I liked the simplicity of the 2.5. I know what to expect of it and what it will do.

I enjoy the small projects and plan on keeping it simple again…like no lockers, SYE, re-gearing, no larger axles etc. I run the back roads and pastures and threw the top away because it will only be my weekend toy. I have already spent countless hours “tinkering” with it (my wife named it Jolene because she feels like it is trying to steal her man away), so my dedication it there but am I the only one that likes my TJ simple?

IMG_7784.jpeg

My 1st Jeep was a ‘91 YJ 2.5 that I had for a few years back 2005-2009. I knew nothing about Jeeps except I thought there were cool. I bought it for $3k and kept it simple and pretty much cleaned it up and did a lot of little things to it that kept me busy but nothing over a couple hundred $$.

I stayed on the forums and got “the fever” for more. I then purchased a 2005 LJ with only 13k miles on it. It didn’t need anything done to it (already had 3” lift and 33’s) and I kinda got bored with it. I didn’t have the same bond with it as the YJ, but I liked the coil springs better than the leaf springs on the YJ. Traded it for a crew cab Z-71 10 years ago knowing that I would get another Jeep when the kids started leaving the nest.

Fast forward to a couple of months ago and I got the Jeep fever. I started looking and was drawn to the TJ 2.5’s again and got a 2000 SE. I could probably afford whatever I wanted but for some reason I liked the simplicity of the 2.5. I know what to expect of it and what it will do.

I enjoy the small projects and plan on keeping it simple again…like no lockers, SYE, re-gearing, no larger axles etc. I run the back roads and pastures and threw the top away because it will only be my weekend toy. I have already spent countless hours “tinkering” with it (my wife named it Jolene because she feels like it is trying to steal her man away), so my dedication it there but am I the only one that likes my TJ simple?

View attachment 429472

Love the jeep! I also have the 2.5l and it’s a fun little jeep. No ac or anything real fancy, just trying to put the money under the jeep and make even more memories with it. Have taken it to beaches all over the east coast and across the country 5 times in it, one being from idaho to San Diego to Pensacola then up to maryland adding 5k miles on that trip. Simple means less stuff to go wrong and me have to worry about it.
Glad to see another 2.5 lover out there!

Reactions: Minderbinder3
Love the jeep! I also have the 2.5l and it’s a fun little jeep. No ac or anything real fancy, just trying to put the money under the jeep and make even more memories with it. Have taken it to beaches all over the east coast and across the country 5 times in it, one being from idaho to San Diego to Pensacola then up to maryland adding 5k miles on that trip. Simple means less stuff to go wrong and me have to worry about it.
Glad to see another 2.5 lover out there!

I don’t know about driving cross country like that. It is fun but no cruise control would not be fun. I have plans to take it to the beach this summer. It has already been through several mud bogs but we don’t really have rocks to climb around here.

Reactions: The4bangertj
It's your Jeep and as long as you like it t's fine.

FWIW, some AT or MT tires would help others to like it and ditching those tubular running boards could add a couple more likers.

Whatever you do, have fun!!!

They are Cooper AT3’s that I already had from my son’s Tacoma take offs. BTW…I don’t really like the running boards either but the wife uses them to get into the passenger side and insists that I keep them.

View attachment 429472

Nope, most of the upgrades I would've done were already done when I got my '97, so I just enjoy maintenance and replacing worn components (power steering pump, radiator, bump stops, valve cover gasket, etc. ) It's a pleasure just to drive and enjoy! Great hobby!

You're not alone. I'm with you in the keeping it stock-ish Jeep camp.

I have a goal that any modification I perform uses an existing space or physical mounting point. I also try to not cut or splice wiring to the extent I'll wire my own connectors to plug things into the existing harness connections.

The mods I do are pretty simple measured again others here, but they make it 'my' vehicle. There's been the usual replacement or maintenance stuff too, and I try and keep that all as close to OEM as I can as well.

Enjoy your Jeep however you like, friend. They're pretty cool no matter what.

They're called "deer catchers" here in Va. 😎

You are exactly right. Where I live there are deer and other animals roaming the countryside so most trucks and larger vehicles have some type of grill guard for protection against hitting them. They can be very expensive as well. This one came on the Jeep. It doesn’t bother me one way or another, but I did want the Warn winch that came mounted in it.

Reactions: TheBoogieman
My 1st Jeep was a ‘91 YJ 2.5

My first Jeep was a 95' YJ 2.5L (18 Jeeps ago) with no AC or power steering. I had fun with that Jeep. Bought it for $1,800 and sold it 2 years later for $5,000. I never had to fix anything on that Jeep. Great in snow too.
YJ (2).jpg

Last edited:
Now that I have given the Jeep a complete tune-up, I filled the gas tank yesterday and by my calculations it is getting 19.7 mpg.

Another plus of “keeping it simple”.

For some of my vehicles like my track car I try to keep things stock outside of some glaring deficits in the original design. However, with Jeeps if you were using them like you should keeping it stock isn't an option. You won't get very far with open diffs, highway tires and low hanging running boards. Just sayin...

For some of my vehicles like my track car I try to keep things stock outside of some glaring deficits in the original design. However, with Jeeps if you were using them like you should keeping it stock isn't an option. You won't get very far with open diffs, highway tires and low hanging running boards. Just sayin...
All but wheels and tires (which are Cooper AT3’s that I already had just taking up space) everything else came as I bought it. That’s my kinda simple.

It works perfect for my area where we don’t have rocks or mountains. We have pastures and creeks. Folks here spend $20-30k on UTV’s to do the same thing and they can’t run those down the highway.

I see Jeeps where people spend thousands and thousands of $$ in not simple stuff for it to never leave the concrete.

I have been on the not simple side with a Jeep before and it is a treacherous slope of never ending mods and $$ just to look cool and say I’ve got this and that.

Reactions: Accelerometer