Is it just me? Trying to hire quality repairs and needing to vent a little

OP
Farmergreg

Farmergreg

Just a "Web Wheeler"
Supporting Member
Mar 25, 2018
WC Indiana
I didn't pick the shop "out of the blue" they do quite a bit of work around the area and have a decent rep. but obviously QC has slipped on this job for sure.

I'm on them like a "hobo on a hotdog" until I get a resolution.

Umbra

TJ Enthusiast
Supporting Member
Sep 7, 2016
Bluegrass
It's everywhere. I think it's a general erosion of the once great American work ethic.
For decades I've done everything myself, along with a friend who passed away suddenly recently.

Now I've been to 3 local mechanics lately and none of them did anything. A guy right across the street basically refused to do what I asked on 2 different vehicles because it was too much work. (Exhaust on one and suspension stuff on the other)
Another guy let my Wrangler sit on his lot untouched for a week, then got nasty when I picked it up. The third guy took a look at what I was talking about and just said "Sorry, I'm going to have to punt". WTH?
In all cases these were all fairly simple jobs that I ended up doing myself but took time to get around to and took me a lot longer because I don't have the tools and equipment they do.
I've decided to just invest in some better tools and hope my 52 year old knees, shoulders and back can hack. :)

Side note: I spent a few hours crawling around under my Wagoneer in the driveway when it was 20 something degrees and snowing just to avoid dealing with these bums.

Reactions: Chris
OP
Farmergreg

Farmergreg

Just a "Web Wheeler"
Supporting Member
Mar 25, 2018
WC Indiana
After some discussion regarding the QC of the job and whether I wanted money back or it fixed, I opted for fixed.

In February the body shop is going to re-do the cab corner that is protruding beyond the door line and re-align the bed to the gooseneck hitch.

Faith in humanity partially restored!

OP
Farmergreg

Farmergreg

Just a "Web Wheeler"
Supporting Member
Mar 25, 2018
WC Indiana
Ill gladly work on your rig and treat it like my own.
I'll drop it off and buy you a BBQ brisket!

When I was in my 20's I'd do bodywork. But now I leave it to the "pros"

In the case of this truck, it's my daily. They salt the shit out of the roads here so I won't drive anything else during the winter. When I took it to the shop in October for a 8 day job they had it 3.5 weeks. The only opportunity for them to fix their crapsmanship is February when I go on vacation.

Reactions: JMT